October 09, 2023
2290 0
O
oliverkinne
October 06, 2023
2506 0

Outback Crossing Review

Board Game Reviews
Bugs: Recent Topics Paging, Uploading Images & Preview (11 Dec 2020)

Recent Topics paging, uploading images and preview bugs require a patch which has not yet been released.

× Talk about the latest and greatest AT, and the Classics.

Clash of Cultures

More
23 Sep 2019 01:02 #301915 by Scott_F
Clash of Cultures was created by Scott_F
Whats the consensus on Clash of Cultures? Was reading a write up of it recently and how the designer is playtesting a new game with most of the same mechanics. Never had a chance to play it and it sounds like its great if you can get the Civilizations expansion.

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

More
23 Sep 2019 01:31 #301916 by san il defanso
Replied by san il defanso on topic Clash of Cultures
It's very good if you like combat-heavy civ games. The way advances work is really sharp, and the game benefits hugely from some pretty low unit density and cool resource management. If you just like keeping to yourself, or alternately if you like to play games that are low on combat, this one might get a little frustrating.

Downsides are that the endgame as written in the book is really swingy. There's also a variant for a variable length end game, and that's the way to go. Otherwise the last turn will be filled with people doing stupid high-risk moves because it's the last turn and you might as well.

The expansion (if you can ever find it for less than a rent payment) is good for its unique civ leaders. I do think the new unit types were a little unnecessary, but others might disagree. It's very good on balance.

I like the game a lot, though I've not played it in ages. Part of that is due to moving a lot in the last five years and really not having the space in my life for 3-4 hour conflict games. (Think Runewars or Starcraft in the same weight class.) I am also one of those people who likes to play Sid Meier's Civ on culture or science victory, so there are times when I feel like Clash of Cultures is a little too combat-dependent.

I think I would call Through The Ages 2.0 my favorite civ game now, but Clash of Cultures is very good, and if you can find a copy for a reasonable amount it's definitely worth your time.
The following user(s) said Thank You: Frohike, Scott_F

More
23 Sep 2019 07:15 - 23 Sep 2019 07:16 #301917 by Josh Look
Replied by Josh Look on topic Clash of Cultures
I was an uncredited playtester on it, not uncredited by choice.

I’ve played it in the last year and I personally don’t feel like it’s aged well. It’s always felt like more of a DOAM game than a Civ one, but it feels like a game of its era, needlessly clunky in certain areas. The tech tree has also always been spotty. There’s a few options you’d be an idiot to not take and a couple that do not work no matter which way you look at it.

It’s a tired genre to begin with, but there are much better options if you’re really set on it.
Last edit: 23 Sep 2019 07:16 by Josh Look.
The following user(s) said Thank You: southernman, Scott_F

More
23 Sep 2019 16:07 #301946 by RobertB
Replied by RobertB on topic Clash of Cultures
Someone (here I think) said about Clash of Cultures, "If you want to build civilizations, but someone else wants to play Risk, then you're playing Risk." Which can be a problem, but I still like the game.

As mentioned above, you definitely need that variable ending rule, because people will do crazy stuff for that last point or two.
The following user(s) said Thank You: Frohike

More
23 Sep 2019 16:18 #301948 by Gary Sax
Replied by Gary Sax on topic Clash of Cultures
I love the game.

I think the action economy is tight enough that going Risk in anything but a 2 player game is usually a losing proposition. You'll be spending all your actions on army moves and you only have like 3 moves a turn.
The following user(s) said Thank You: Frohike

More
23 Sep 2019 16:20 #301949 by charlest
Replied by charlest on topic Clash of Cultures
Word is there's a new expansion being playtested.
The following user(s) said Thank You: Gary Sax, bfkiller, Frohike

More
23 Sep 2019 17:43 #301954 by bfkiller
Replied by bfkiller on topic Clash of Cultures

charlest wrote: Word is there's a new expansion being playtested.

That'd be a welcome surprise after so long.
The following user(s) said Thank You: Gary Sax

More
24 Sep 2019 07:35 #301962 by Legomancer
Replied by Legomancer on topic Clash of Cultures

Gary Sax wrote: I love the game.

I think the action economy is tight enough that going Risk in anything but a 2 player game is usually a losing proposition. You'll be spending all your actions on army moves and you only have like 3 moves a turn.

It was me who said the Risk quote. In a 3 player game, the Risk player won't win, but neither will his target. They'll play Risk while the third player wins.

People love CoC but I ain't one of them. It's a DOAM with some civ built in.
The following user(s) said Thank You: Gary Sax, RobertB

More
24 Sep 2019 10:02 - 24 Sep 2019 10:03 #301965 by Gary Sax
Replied by Gary Sax on topic Clash of Cultures
I'm not telling you to like clash by any means, I have definitely internalized your preferences in this genre so I get where you're coming from.

But a strategy where someone almost always loses isn't one that should survive more than 1-2 introductory games with even somewhat rational players. There are all kinds of crazy dumb shit you can do in most non-pure euro games to create a degenerate game state. It's like the person in TI who plays it like Risk who also loses but throws the game into chaos.
Last edit: 24 Sep 2019 10:03 by Gary Sax.

More
24 Sep 2019 10:38 #301966 by ChristopherMD
Replied by ChristopherMD on topic Clash of Cultures
The game is called Clash of Cultures not Cooperation of Cultures.
The following user(s) said Thank You: Frohike, the_jake_1973

More
24 Sep 2019 10:44 #301967 by Scott_F
Replied by Scott_F on topic Clash of Cultures
Anyone looking to sell their copy with the civilization expansion? I like attacking games.

More
24 Sep 2019 13:44 #301973 by Legomancer

ChristopherMD wrote: The game is called Clash of Cultures not Cooperation of Cultures.

IT's also called Clash of Cultures not Clash of Steel, which is a million other games. Will the Risk player win? No. Will he make another player's game miserable? Yes. Is the game otherwise worth playing over and over before the Risk player realizes this and tries something else but won't because really he just wants to play Risk anyway? No.

CoC is a fine game, but it's not a civ game. It's a DOAM with some civ elements.

More
24 Sep 2019 14:39 - 24 Sep 2019 14:42 #301974 by ChristopherMD
Replied by ChristopherMD on topic Clash of Cultures
Is there any data to back that up? Or is this an opinion based on a single player you were in a game with once?

Edit: I ask because I've played this game a bunch of times and nobody has ever gone all-out Risk attacking everyone. Seems like its more the player and not the game that's the problem as its definitely not a Risk-like game to me.
Last edit: 24 Sep 2019 14:42 by ChristopherMD.

More
25 Sep 2019 08:00 #301986 by Legomancer
I've had one bad experience and a few mediocre experiences and nothing that made me think this was something I was interested in exploring further. There are other civ games I prefer and other DOAM games I prefer and am not interested in a mishmash of them.
The following user(s) said Thank You: Gary Sax, san il defanso

More
25 Sep 2019 08:26 #301987 by san il defanso
Replied by san il defanso on topic Clash of Cultures
While I wouldn't say that combat is NECESSARY, the design definitely values it, and a lot of the advances tie into various combat buffs and enhancements. The other elements of most civ games are there, but territory and advances are the main way to generate VP at the end, so warfare and the advances to fuel it are very popular.

Moderators: Gary Sax
Time to create page: 0.197 seconds