W
WadeMonnig
September 16, 2020
830 1
AL
Andi Lennon
September 15, 2020
1309 0
Short Cut to Remote Gaming Forum (29 Aug 2020)

Since remote gaming has now become a significant part of how we play board games, we have added a short cut to this forum in the menu on the left.

× Talk about the latest and greatest AT, and the Classics.

Leder games Oath chatter

More
06 Sep 2020 16:24 #313820 by Jexik
Replied by Jexik on topic Leder games Oath chatter
I think for some people this is really gonna hit and for others it's gonna be the mother of all toads. I feel like some people are gonna have a bad or slow first experience and then never play it again, making the pseudo-legacy elements something a lot of people don't experience.

I'm definitely open to playing again, especially if I/we can shave off some time, but I'm pretty hesitant to pick it up myself, so far.
The following user(s) said Thank You: Gary Sax

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

More
06 Sep 2020 21:37 #313821 by Gary Sax
Replied by Gary Sax on topic Leder games Oath chatter
Yes, I suspect that your experience with this game is going to come down to your average downtime---or at least your average downtime watching someone stare at the board or cards. That's obviously going to max out at first play, which is a tough characteristic from a market perspective.

But who knows!

More
07 Sep 2020 14:16 - 07 Sep 2020 14:19 #313825 by Gary Sax
I'm constantly playing low level solo two player while I'm idle.

Giant Python is a better and more interesting card than I thought it was. Textually, anyone who attacks you has to target a multiple of 2 in terms of targets (banners). The real, practical effect is to not allow anyone to snipe anything from you---this is especially helpful in supremacy game where lone sites where your pawn is not at are super vulnerable to an attack. If you make it to usurper, that means that the lowest number of dice anyone can roll to steal sites from you is 4 defense dice, with at least a +2 from armies. 4 or 5 is where the variance starts to accelerate on rolling blue dice, so this is a pretty big deal.

Anyway, just love it when you see a card you aren't sure of on utility and then you mess with it some more in the right situation and you have an "aha" moment.
Last edit: 07 Sep 2020 14:19 by Gary Sax.

More
15 Sep 2020 22:26 #314120 by Gary Sax
I don't get this fanboyish about game stuff often, but I could listen to Cole Wehrle talk about his design process like any time:

He talks about the end of Oath design and then talks Root, but lots of interesting thoughts.
The following user(s) said Thank You: Jackwraith, mezike

More
17 Sep 2020 07:39 - 17 Sep 2020 07:40 #314186 by mezike
Replied by mezike on topic Leder games Oath chatter
Enjoyed an interesting game a few days ago. The Oath was for People's Favour, one Exile had the matching vision and made their move just before the dice rolls were about to kick in. Second Exile just sat back and let the Chancellor burn favour taking it back, then it swapped hands twice again. In the process both Exile #1 and the Chancellor were knocked back quite hard with only one secret between them, no favour reserve, and so much favour burned out of the game that the PF was super cheap.
Exile #2 then takes a big turn emptying out the favour banks and buys the PF with seven tokens. They then sit back with enough secrets to easily mill the two per turn needed to keep it growing beyond reach while still having some reserve to keep growing their army. Icing on the cake was to retreat out of reach so that even a suicidal grab against 9+ dice and a massive defensive hoard would be impossible. First Usurper win that I've seen.
What was unique was the Exile #1 only revealed advisers in order to use the conspiracy and Exile #2 only revealed at the very end in order to maximise favour gain on trades. Requests for citizenship were also dismissed at various points.
This game definitely gets wilder the more keenly you can envision your endgame plays. Unless you are angling for supremacy it really pays to keep your advisers secret.
Last edit: 17 Sep 2020 07:40 by mezike.

More
17 Sep 2020 08:42 #314188 by Gary Sax
Yeah, weirdly, the darkest secret and people's favor wins can be the most secure to reliably usurp because the same resource that gets you the title also makes you almost impregnable to having it taken too via dice.

We played a learning game last night. I've taught this game 4-5 times and it is still just kind of hard and leaves you with a "what the fuck am I supposed to do now?" open world feeling once the teach is over.
The following user(s) said Thank You: Jexik

More
17 Sep 2020 17:22 - 17 Sep 2020 17:23 #314212 by Jexik
Replied by Jexik on topic Leder games Oath chatter
In that last game, I felt like I had a pretty cool thing going on with my advisers and relics, but wasn't quite able to hold onto the Usurper. I had kind of a slow start as one of my first cards was one that makes it free to muster in a type of area that never showed up. (Beasts).

Then the best thing I could do at the end was sort of play kingmaker.
Last edit: 17 Sep 2020 17:23 by Jexik.

Moderators: Gary Sax
Time to create page: 0.709 seconds