W
whowhatwhycast
November 25, 2020
287 0
O
oliverkinne
November 24, 2020
525 0
Short Cut to Remote Gaming Forum (29 Aug 2020)

Since remote gaming has now become a significant part of how we play board games, we have added a short cut to this forum in the menu on the left.

× Talk about the latest and greatest AT, and the Classics.

Leder games Oath chatter

More
22 Nov 2020 13:16 #316439 by Not Sure
Replied by Not Sure on topic Leder games Oath chatter
I definitely shouldn't have left, but I was focused on getting myself back into things rather than a round ahead. Pretty sloppy from me all game.

It's a very good game, but the chronicle stuff isn't just a clever add-on, it's the real game. I sense a lot of these hitting the secondary market after the one-and-done crowd plays it one evening and moves on to other things.

It's a fun sandboxy multi-powers thing by itself (although probably not sufficient for its cost and complexity just on that), but the business of planning ahead and some of the late-game citizen haggling is utterly useless without a notion of a future game.

I'm really glad we've had a pretty consistent group eager to play out of the same deck. It's opened up what were a lot of hazy design goals and shown that they really do hit the target. I'm glad this game is being made, even if my physical copy is probably only going to croak away on the forever shelf.
The following user(s) said Thank You: Gary Sax, sornars

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

More
22 Nov 2020 15:13 - 22 Nov 2020 15:18 #316440 by Gary Sax
Replied by Gary Sax on topic Leder games Oath chatter
I tend to agree. I said this way back, but I kind of feel like the initial game in the box is a little limiting. It's a balance, you don't want to overwhelm people with such an open sandbox, but there aren't many big *WOW* cards in the deck from the get-go besides maybe Long Long Heir (which I think is out of our Chronicle by now). Cards like longbows and elders help you grok the basics but don't give you much of the wildness to shape strategy around.

Like, next game is going to be a little off the hook because it's darkest secret but it should have Tome Guardians, the +/-3 arcane card w/darkest secret, and some other darkest secret assist stuff that's escaping me in there... AND three new arcane cards which often trigger off the secret.

I played a few games in my long running solo chronicle a month or so ago which had the deck pretty order tuned. Completely different character to the game. You really wanted to hold site cards and conquer with it (toll roads, keep, garrison, some other defense granting cards). Our chronicle right now is sort of moving away from a control oriented direction... it still has a few things (e.g. grasping vines) but a lot of it is more utility stuff you can move to and use but may not feel any compulsion to control by owning the site.
Last edit: 22 Nov 2020 15:18 by Gary Sax.

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

Moderators: Gary Sax
Time to create page: 0.122 seconds