October 09, 2023
2499 0
O
oliverkinne
October 06, 2023
2703 0

Outback Crossing Review

Board Game Reviews
Bugs: Recent Topics Paging, Uploading Images & Preview (11 Dec 2020)

Recent Topics paging, uploading images and preview bugs require a patch which has not yet been released.

× Talk about the latest and greatest AT, and the Classics.

What will you miss most about the annual FFG Holiday Sale?

More
06 Dec 2019 15:31 #304832 by Joebot
It seems there's to be no annual FFG Holiday Sale this year, which feels sort of weird and sad. It's December 6, and there's been no sign of it, so I guess it's not happening.

After some soul-searching, I think what I'll miss most is adding a bunch of cheap crap that I don't REALLY want or need to my cart, calculating shipping, muttering "fuck THAT," emptying my cart, and then going on with my day. It was an annual tradition! It just doesn't feel like Christmas without it, you know?
The following user(s) said Thank You: Rliyen, lj1983, Vysetron, n815e

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

More
06 Dec 2019 15:39 #304833 by Msample
I gotta think Asmodee is partially responsible, and not necessarily in a bad way . That sale was always about dumping shitty inventory, my guess is Asmodee has cleaned up that side of the business and made them run leaner .
The following user(s) said Thank You: Rliyen, Gary Sax, jpat

More
06 Dec 2019 15:45 #304836 by Michael Barnes
I’ll miss speculating how soon their latest flop will be in the holiday sale.
The following user(s) said Thank You: Rliyen, allismom3, Cranberries, jpat, Msample, fightcitymayor

More
06 Dec 2019 15:52 #304838 by DarthJoJo
I’ll miss picking up the entirety of the Runewars miniatures for $50.

More
06 Dec 2019 15:53 #304839 by cdennett
I'll miss adding a few things to my cart, the realizing that shipping is more then the cost of the games and canceling the order.
The following user(s) said Thank You: Rliyen, Cranberries, Jackwraith, n815e

More
06 Dec 2019 16:39 #304846 by ChristopherMD
I'll miss Michael speculating how their latest games flopped enough to be in the holiday sale.
The following user(s) said Thank You: ubarose, bfkiller

More
06 Dec 2019 16:47 #304848 by Shellhead
The French venture capitalists that took over Asmodee and then FFG sold out to another group of French venture capitalists the following year. The current ownership has been terminating a lot of employees, and intends to replace some of them with younger employees with lower wages. They are also running some of the North America operations out of the smaller office in Montreal, for the sake of easier communication with the headquarters in Paris. Expect to see more aggressive budget cutting over the next couple of years, in hopes of flipping the company again for a multiple of their investment. Hopefully they won't make any cuts of creative staff at the studios.
The following user(s) said Thank You: Rliyen, Cranberries, Pugnax555

More
07 Dec 2019 12:50 #304869 by Josh Look

ChristopherMD wrote: I'll miss Michael speculating how their latest games flopped enough to be in the holiday sale.

Ah, surely you must mean total dud titles such as Battlelore 2e, Runebound 3e, and Diskwars, none of which are worth anyone’s time.

Joking aside, I will miss stuff like what I mentioned above being deep discounted. Sure, there was the Midnight DVD and their Fortress America reprint (gosh, remember them thinking that old turd was worth regurgitating?), but there were also those moments of getting into a truly great game that never got the attention it deserved and everyone becoming overwhelmed with shame for not recognizing them earlier.
The following user(s) said Thank You: Gary Sax

More
07 Dec 2019 13:23 - 07 Dec 2019 13:24 #304873 by ChristopherMD

Josh Look wrote:

ChristopherMD wrote: I'll miss Michael speculating how their latest games flopped enough to be in the holiday sale.

Ah, surely you must mean total dud titles such as Battlelore 2e, Runebound 3e, and Diskwars, none of which are worth anyone’s time.

I never said he was right...and don't call me Shirley.
Last edit: 07 Dec 2019 13:24 by ChristopherMD.

More
07 Dec 2019 14:09 #304877 by n815e
It seems like they’ve just replaced it completely with the MAPP amnesty.

More
07 Dec 2019 22:42 #304893 by Sagrilarus
I’ll miss Micromutants being available for $5. Again.

More
08 Dec 2019 10:36 #304899 by Msample

Josh Look wrote:

their Fortress America reprint (gosh, remember them thinking that old turd was worth regurgitating?),.

FA wasn't a turd in its original edition . Reasonably balanced, though played best with four players, and a clever design in that it basically had a built in game clock - the invaders have to win early or attrition will eventually take its toll.

The FFG edition - THAT was a turd. They made some unnecessary changes to the "classic" rules that drastically swung the balance in favor of the invaders. I only glanced at their optional "new" rules version that looked to be some half cooked un playtested ideas. It strikes me as similar to the dual rules version of their MoV remake - does anyone play with the "new" rules set ? I suspect not.
The following user(s) said Thank You: Gary Sax, Sagrilarus, n815e

More
08 Dec 2019 22:14 #304916 by Sagrilarus

Msample wrote: It strikes me as similar to the dual rules version of their MoV remake - does anyone play with the "new" rules set ? I suspect not.

Is that what that second book is on the bottom of the box underneath the planos?
The following user(s) said Thank You: Msample

More
08 Dec 2019 22:52 #304918 by Jackwraith

Msample wrote: It strikes me as similar to the dual rules version of their MoV remake - does anyone play with the "new" rules set ? I suspect not.

I did, a couple times, before I sold my copy. It's decent in its own way. It has a lot more chrome than the original MoV, which is the very definition of PU&D, and if you're into more detail in that way, then it's cool. There's certainly nothing wrong with it, other than how it apparently makes the purists around here break out into hives whenever someone suggests that a "classic" game could possibly be changed. Most games are a long, long way from any definition of perfection. Even stuff like Dune.
The following user(s) said Thank You: Gary Sax

More
08 Dec 2019 23:24 #304919 by Sagrilarus
Quit interrupting his sanctimony.
The following user(s) said Thank You: Gary Sax, Jackwraith

Moderators: Gary Sax
Time to create page: 0.490 seconds