October 09, 2023
2288 0
O
oliverkinne
October 06, 2023
2504 0

Outback Crossing Review

Board Game Reviews
Bugs: Recent Topics Paging, Uploading Images & Preview (11 Dec 2020)

Recent Topics paging, uploading images and preview bugs require a patch which has not yet been released.

× Talk about the latest and greatest AT, and the Classics.

Western Legends: Ante Up "Quality Issues"

More
26 Dec 2019 23:14 #305541 by WadeMonnig
I don't want to taint any opinions on this so I'm just going to ask: Has anyone who has actually played or bought Western Legends Ante Up had a problem with "Quality Issues" and how would you rate the issues.

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

More
27 Dec 2019 10:49 #305551 by charlest
The issues are annoying for sure but it's still worth it.

More
27 Dec 2019 11:12 #305555 by Jackwraith
The following user(s) said Thank You: WadeMonnig

More
27 Dec 2019 11:43 #305556 by WadeMonnig

Jackwraith wrote: Details?

I'll elaborate once I give this enough time to be seen by a few people. and I'll explain then.
The following user(s) said Thank You: allismom3, Jackwraith

More
27 Dec 2019 17:19 - 27 Dec 2019 17:28 #305568 by WadeMonnig
Long story short: I heard some rumblings about the Quality of the new poker cards (off color) and miscut tokens (off center) but with my copy it is literally nothing I would even make mention of in the review. So, I was just seeing if anyone had a real issue with it because it wasn't even on my "of note" list.
Last edit: 27 Dec 2019 17:28 by WadeMonnig.
The following user(s) said Thank You: Jackwraith

More
27 Dec 2019 17:35 #305569 by Jackwraith
Possibly fixed in subsequent printings? Or just people looking to get in a twist about something? (Not that that ever happens on the Internet...)

More
27 Dec 2019 17:41 #305570 by WadeMonnig

Jackwraith wrote: Possibly fixed in subsequent printings? Or just people looking to get in a twist about something? (Not that that ever happens on the Internet...)

The only thing that has shipped so far is the First Printing of the Kickstarter as far as I know. So, I don't think it is the former....I'm leaning toward the latter.

More
27 Dec 2019 17:47 #305572 by Shellhead

WadeMonnig wrote: Long story short: I heard some rumblings about the Quality of the new poker cards (off color) and miscut tokens (off center) but with my copy it is literally nothing I would even make mention of in the review. So, I was just seeing if anyone had a real issue with it because it wasn't even on my "of note" list.

When she used to live in the Twin Cities, Thaadd from FFG used to attend some of my boardgame events. She was responsible for sending out replacement parts when people lost or damaged their stuff. One of her biggest hassles at the time was that it seemed to be nearly impossible to get an exact color match between parts for a game and parts for expansions to that same game. It was just an ongoing issue with the manufacturers in China that didn't have a solution, but people kept calling FFG and complaining about it in hopes of replacements.

Miscut tokens is a legit issue, and a reputable publisher should be willing to replace them.

More
27 Dec 2019 19:29 #305574 by Jackwraith

Shellhead wrote: One of her biggest hassles at the time was that it seemed to be nearly impossible to get an exact color match between parts for a game and parts for expansions to that same game. It was just an ongoing issue with the manufacturers in China that didn't have a solution, but people kept calling FFG and complaining about it in hopes of replacements.

Which is understandable and, IMO, usually overblown by consumers. There's a difference in color between the card backs for Tyrants of the Underdark and the expansion, for example. It's there, but it's incredibly faint. Unless you're specifically looking for it and in a very well-lit room, you'll never notice. Even if you did, the fact that you can tell that the next card for the market draw is an expansion card means nothing. You don't know what that card is. I realize that's just one example, but this often strikes me as people complaining about what they perceive as potential balance/cheating/advantage issues that aren't really present in normal play. Yes, it's annoying, but that's the extent of it, in my experience.

More
27 Dec 2019 20:47 #305576 by charlest
The color issue doesn't bother me much.

Here's what bothers me:

Miscut tokens
Rulebook missing many small clarifications as well as a big paragraph which they slipped in with a separate sheet of paper
Player aid with multiple issues and incorrect references (biggest deal for me)
Story Card backs format change so you can clearly tell which ones are new - why would you do this?
The following user(s) said Thank You: southernman, Gary Sax, Jackwraith, WadeMonnig

More
27 Dec 2019 21:05 - 27 Dec 2019 21:08 #305577 by WadeMonnig
Thanks Charlie! That is what I was looking for.
Miscut tokens - Mine aren't "that bad" I noticed they were a few that were off but nothing I thought was worth mentioning. Not sure if there is a bigger variance in other people's expansion.
Rulebook - missing many small clarifications as well as a big paragraph which they slipped in with a separate sheet of paper Again, not a huge issue for me, at least they addressed the missing paragraph with an addition. The small clarifications(or lack of) seem to be on par with what I consider fiddlier games.
Player aid with multiple issues and incorrect references (biggest deal for me) This was the biggest deal for me as well, mainly because the base game had SUCH a good player aid and this one is almost exactly the opposite. Adding all the new fiddly stuff and not having a properly clear player aid is a real shame.
Story Card backs format change so you can clearly tell which ones are new - why would you do this? This I had not noticed. Maybe because the story cards are played face up in two piles? I'll have to pay more attention when I get it back out.
Last edit: 27 Dec 2019 21:08 by WadeMonnig.

More
27 Dec 2019 22:08 #305583 by charlest
The miscut token issue is specifically one type of token found in Wild Bunch of extras.

The rulebook is annoying because there are elements they simply didn't include. Stuff like you can't spawn an event token on a space with a mini and so on.

More
28 Dec 2019 13:26 #305590 by southernman

charlest wrote: The color issue doesn't bother me much.

Here's what bothers me:

Miscut tokens
Rulebook missing many small clarifications as well as a big paragraph which they slipped in with a separate sheet of paper
Player aid with multiple issues and incorrect references (biggest deal for me)
Story Card backs format change so you can clearly tell which ones are new - why would you do this?

ALL this !

My mis-cut tokens are so badly off-centre that is so obvious which ones are which.
The rulebook is like it was printed off a beta file, I have three versions of the rulebook downloaded from their site at various times (v1.2 - v1.4) and they all have most of the missing content.
Player Aid can't really be trusted if using it in a game - and yeah, those Story cards, after a few games you will again know which ones they are.
A very amateur or rushed effort, I suspect the statements that they ran thin on staff due to running overlapping KSers is quite close to the truth - I won't be bothering with the just announced new expansion for it.
The following user(s) said Thank You: Gary Sax

More
28 Dec 2019 15:28 #305593 by ubarose
I didn’t notice any issues with my tokens. Also, aren’t the rules in the expansion that you use either the deck of pokers cards that came with the expansion OR the original deck. You don’t mix the two together, so color variations on the backs shouldn’t matter.

More
28 Dec 2019 15:56 #305595 by WadeMonnig
No, you swap out. It's like the black 7. Red 8s, black 9s that are removed and replaced. So it does matter.

Moderators: Gary Sax
Time to create page: 0.160 seconds