October 09, 2023
2455 0
O
oliverkinne
October 06, 2023
2658 0

Outback Crossing Review

Board Game Reviews
Bugs: Recent Topics Paging, Uploading Images & Preview (11 Dec 2020)

Recent Topics paging, uploading images and preview bugs require a patch which has not yet been released.

× Talk about the latest and greatest AT, and the Classics.

Talk to me about space games!

More
05 Jan 2020 15:38 #305792 by Ah_Pook
I love Merchants of Venus. Love it! Played it 21 times last year. But I find myself also wanting a more adventurey space game. The big three seem to be Firefly, Star Wars Outer Rim, and Xia... So what's your favorite? Which one would you recommend? Why? Any other ones to check out instead? Any other adventurey pick up and deliver sandbox kind of games to check out instead, with non space themes?

I'd probably be playing about 50/50 solo/multiplayer, if that matters for recommendation purposes.

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

More
05 Jan 2020 15:52 #305794 by Jackwraith
If by 'space' you mean 'space flight', I don't have much for you. If you mean 'generally hard SF taking place in space', then my first suggestion is Theseus: The Dark Orbit. It's one of Michal Oracz's best designs and plays somewhere between a DoaM and a puzzle game. The 4 (5) factions in the main box are very different (as are the two expansion ones), so there's tons of replayability. Unfortunately, solo is not an option.

Next would be Tiny Epic Galaxies. It has decent thematics and is really easy to teach, especially to non-gamers if you're trying to snare relatives, etc. The fact that it's a dice game shouldn't be dismaying even for the Euro types, since there are many ways to both alter dice and take advantage of the rolls of others. There are detailed solo rules, too.

Third suggestion would be Star Trek: Ascendancy. It's a 4X game, but a pretty streamlined one and is positively dripping in ST lore, if you're into that kind of thing. For those averse to "wargames", you can easily win ST: A without firing a shot, depending on what faction you're playing. Sadly, no solo here, either.

Of the three you mentioned, my first pick would be Firefly, mostly for theme, but I haven't had a chance to play Outer Rim which everyone speaks very highly of around here.
The following user(s) said Thank You: Ah_Pook

More
05 Jan 2020 17:02 #305796 by WadeMonnig
As someone here said, Firefly doesn't value your time as much as the others do. Haven't played either xia or SW enough to recommend (once and zero) but I've heard good things (cue Charlie) I'll second the Tiny Epic Galaxies recommendation.
The following user(s) said Thank You: Msample, Ah_Pook

More
05 Jan 2020 18:50 #305800 by hotseatgames
I'll also nominate Theseus, and throw in Nemesis.

Neither of them are pick up and deliver. Theseus is all about setting up traps for your opponents, and Nemesis is like the movie Aliens, but everyone is playing as Burke.
The following user(s) said Thank You: Gary Sax, Ah_Pook

More
05 Jan 2020 18:55 - 05 Jan 2020 18:57 #305801 by Gary Sax
For the adventure ones you mention, I prefer Xia by a fair distance. I have played Merchant and Firefly a lot but not Outer Rim, so I can't speak to it. I like Xia because it has a diversity of options that reward points at a somewhat balanced rate, and encourages switching point strategies depending where you are geographically (if you're playing with the economy board, which you absolutely need to)---PvP, PvE, pick up and deliver, point to point missions, and some bizarre card rewards (e.g. intergalactic race may just start randomly). For me it encapsulates the best parts of american style designs back when ameritrash vs. eurogames was the discourse.

Reasons not to choose Xia is that it is a very generic sci-fi without a property behind it---I adore this about Xia, personally---it's fairly wristy in terms of dice, it's clunky mechanically at times, and it has a lot of random elements you need to accept if you want to enjoy it, though the expansion grinds down the worst of the dice randomness using new mechanics.

We just played it and I just wanted to play it again.
Last edit: 05 Jan 2020 18:57 by Gary Sax.

More
05 Jan 2020 19:01 #305802 by san il defanso
I can only speak to a narrow subset of these games, since I've not played many of them. But I think the vast majority of people would only want one of Firefly or Outer Rim. Those two games are definitely cut from the same cloth. I like Outer Rim a lot more, partly because I'm much more a Star Wars guy than a Firefly guy. But it's also a much cleaner game and is generally a more manageable design, while still providing much of the same payoff. I get the impression that Xia is in a similar bucket, but perhaps depends a little less on its license than either of the other games.

More
05 Jan 2020 19:20 - 05 Jan 2020 19:23 #305803 by n815e
Replied by n815e on topic Talk to me about space games!
So I love Firefly and I don’t mind the slow pace of it. I think it puts you into that setting and feels like you are interacting with it, rather than just existing in it.

I’ve read that Empires of the Void II is also good, but I haven’t played it. It sort of reminds me a bit of Titan AE, players control worldships and there is pick up/deliver, battling and diplomacy.

If you like the Star Trek setting and can tolerate some poor component quality, then Fleet Captains is worth looking at.
Last edit: 05 Jan 2020 19:23 by n815e.
The following user(s) said Thank You: Msample, Ah_Pook

More
05 Jan 2020 19:24 - 05 Jan 2020 19:33 #305804 by Sagrilarus
Talon kicks ass. Very accessible space combat game that plays in about 90 minutes. Soloable but a real opponent will throw more than a few surprises at you.

Plays 1 to 12 players equally well
Last edit: 05 Jan 2020 19:33 by Sagrilarus.
The following user(s) said Thank You: Gary Sax, Ah_Pook

More
05 Jan 2020 19:43 - 05 Jan 2020 19:43 #305807 by Josh Look
I’m going to throw in behind Outer Rim.

There was a time in which I would have said Firefly, but that time has come and gone. It does not value your time. You can spend a great deal of time, up to 45 minutes to an hour even after you’re an experienced player, just assembling your crew and gearing them up before taking on missions. One random event or a player moving Reavers on to you “because you’re there and I have to do it!” can rob of literally an hours worth of work. There was a time where I would say, “Well, that just how it goes in space,” but that’s a sorry excuse and it is not fun.

Xia is a little bit better but it still feels very much behind the times. It’s not quite as punishing as Firefly, but it does just kind of aimlessly meander around for most of its playtime. I kind of like it now but that’s only after adding in the expansion. That’s going to make an already expensive game even more expensive, and while it’s closest to Merchant of Venus in spirit, there’s no guarantee that you’ll like it. Thats because it does not make it easy for you to like it. This is a game that requires work. Lots and lots of work. The jury is still out on whether not it’s worth it for me to put the work in. It’s also exceedingly dry in terms of setting. Designing your ship is definitely the strongest point.

Outer Rim on the other hand is the best parts of the Star Wars universe in a box. It may not have any new mechanics, but c’mon, we’re all smart enough to know that new mechanics do not mean they’re fun. What is here works, it’s extremely intuitive, and the different career paths feel completely different from each other. Anyone who says the decks are too small for it to be interesting long term doesn’t know what the fuck they’re talking about. I’ve played it at least 12 times now, I’m still seeing encounters for the first time (they’re Arkham style with multiple locations on one card) and the market decks being small is actually a strength. You’ll need to hunt for that one perfect item you want, but if you’re deadset in it, at least it will show up by the end of the game. Most importantly, it does value your time. You’ll waste turns doing jobs that go south, but you won’t lose progress. It’s an absolute joy to play.
Last edit: 05 Jan 2020 19:43 by Josh Look.
The following user(s) said Thank You: southernman, jeb, Msample, san il defanso, hotseatgames, WadeMonnig, Ah_Pook

More
05 Jan 2020 21:24 #305816 by jeb
Replied by jeb on topic Talk to me about space games!
I'm enjoying OUTER RIM as well, noted on other threads. It's a good time. I don't know if it's a space game, per se, outside of theme it doesn't really come up. It's not like managing O2 and hull breaches and shit like that. You're just Lando being King Shit of Fuck Mountain for 60-90 minutes. That has its own appeal.

TWILIGHT IMPERIUM is a space game, right? I heard that's good.

I like ECLIPSE, but I think everyone here hates it. They're wrong, it's fun. It's like 3.5X because you don't really have to fight unless you feel like it. You are rewarded amply for losing. Different aliens play differently and some very much so. E.g., the game of everyone else is skewed when the Planta are in the mix. The economy management is amazing.

More
05 Jan 2020 21:40 #305818 by charlest
Everyone here doesn't hate Eclipse. It's by far the best space game for me.

I'm a little surprised I'm the only person around here who was underwhelmed by Outer Rim.
The following user(s) said Thank You: Xerxes, jeb, Frohike, n815e

More
05 Jan 2020 22:46 #305823 by jeb
Replied by jeb on topic Talk to me about space games!
Ooh, I am glad to hear that. A lot of folks feel the combat in ECLIPSE is inconsequential because of the reward for losing, but I like it because it doesn't feel like the only thing that matters, as it does in other games. I don't think any other game handles tech trees and economy as well as ECLIPSE. I think I am reminded of AGE OF RENAISSANCE, but I may be misremembering that game.
The following user(s) said Thank You: Xerxes, Frohike, charlest

More
05 Jan 2020 23:29 #305826 by n815e
Replied by n815e on topic Talk to me about space games!
That reward for losing encourages combat and early on, unlike another popular game it gets compared to which punishes players for fighting.

More
06 Jan 2020 06:24 #305828 by san il defanso

charlest wrote: Everyone here doesn't hate Eclipse. It's by far the best space game for me.

I'm a little surprised I'm the only person around here who was underwhelmed by Outer Rim.

I was thinking about this recently. I feel like I played a different game than you did.
The following user(s) said Thank You: charlest

More
06 Jan 2020 09:45 - 06 Jan 2020 11:04 #305831 by ubarose
If you are specifically looking for an adventurey space game, I'd recommend Outer Rim. It has encounter cards, like Arkham Horror, but they are tightly managed kind of like 7th Continent, so they are more specific to what you are doing, so they are less random. As someone else said, it is cut from the same cloth as Firefly, but addresses some of Firefly's short comings. It also has rules for solo play.

I love Firefly, but it is long, meandering, chaotic and swingy. Although, if you love Merchant of Venus, that might not bother you.

Xia reminds me a lot of Merchant of Venus, but is tighter and has fighting. It has a strong emphasis on outfitting and customizing your ship. But it didn't feel very "adventury." It's much more a pure pick up and deliver with some exploration.

Eclipse, Twilight Imperium and Star Trek Ascendancy are all really 4X games, and not adventury or pick-up and deliver.

Perry Rhodan: The Cosmic League (Z-Man) is a two player, 30 minute pick up and deliver that was inspired by Merchant of Venus. It isn't at all adventury. It's 100% pick-up & deliver and a little abstract, but might be something you would enjoy. It is out of print, but you can often find it used for $20 or less.
Last edit: 06 Jan 2020 11:04 by ubarose.
The following user(s) said Thank You: southernman, Ah_Pook

Moderators: Gary Sax
Time to create page: 0.429 seconds