W
We-reNotWizards
August 03, 2020
352 0
U
ubarose
August 02, 2020
591 0
× Talk about the latest and greatest AT, and the Classics.

Technobowl McFadden 21 rules update

More
22 Apr 2020 10:39 #309513 by mezike
There's a few Technobowl fans around here. A few weeks ago Brent Spivey published an update to what I suppose can be considered the living rules for Technobowl - technically they are optional additional content because of course the base game is perfectly balanced, but there's enough tongue-in-cheek going on not to need an accompanying knowing wink. It's posted on BGG.

The tweaks look mainly angled at enhancing and encouraging the passing game. Every player now gets the standard Catch skill (pull a receiving player's card to get a +1 bonus) with the named skill enhanced to a +3 bonus. Risk of scattering is reduced, if there is no defensive threat then it only happens on a critical failure.

Pocket passer now allows for a small amount of movement which allows them to step out of threat before passing, crucial in maintaining those bonus points and allowing utilisation of Pocket Passers without resorting to a BloodBowl-style cage defence of the thrower. With Route passing you can now nominate a receiver by pulling their card and then moving them onto the ball with the bonus success activation - it kind of feels like a nerf in this case as you could do that anyway without the card pull.

In addition Juke and Shake are slightly nerfed by having to pull the player's card from the bench to activate which makes using them in a running game a little less attractive - or, rather, slightly more tactical as you can't now Juke non-stop through a defence and then run for eighty yards, you have to instead pick your moment as well as relying even more on bonus activations to get an appreciable distance down the field with it due to leaving that player's card(s) on the bench. A Juking QB leading a passing game is now a more attractive proposition than seeing it purely as a running game manoeuvre.

Man Defender is also changed (and vastly improved IMO) so that it now gives a free half-move every time an adjacent offensive opponent moves and adds a playmaker dice when threatening a catch instead of a -3 penalty to threatening throws. That one feels more realistic as well as also supporting the passing game.

There are also some new passing rules that allow you to keep the ball in the air for up to four player activations. They look fairly low overhead to implement, just use some tokens to count down until the ball lands in the target space. I think it might actually make passing rules easier to parse as there won't technically be a difference between targeting a player or a space other than some skills which only activate depending on if the target is or is not on a player at the point of passing. It also means that passing to open spaces makes more sense and can be a more useful thing to do, particularly when under pressure.

I like these updates and looking forward to trying them.
The following user(s) said Thank You: hotseatgames, charlest

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

More
22 Apr 2020 10:57 #309514 by hotseatgames
I haven't played this in a long time. It's a great game, definitely the best sports game I have ever seen.

Brent had talked about announcing his next game a long time ago, but as far as I know, he never actually did announce it. I'd love to see what he has coming next.

More
22 Apr 2020 10:59 #309515 by charlest
This is on Tabletop Simulator? I need to re-read the rules and get back to it.
The following user(s) said Thank You: hotseatgames

More
22 Apr 2020 11:04 #309517 by mezike
Technobowl is on TTS, yes.

More
22 Apr 2020 11:24 #309518 by the_jake_1973
I ended up including the Automa rules on my TTS module for the game as I don't always have time to sit down to play a full one with the people on the TechnoBowl Discord.

They have a league going there btw. Discord link: discord.gg/7mXsfZ
The following user(s) said Thank You: mezike, charlest

Moderators: Gary Sax
Time to create page: 0.130 seconds