October 09, 2023
2423 0
O
oliverkinne
October 06, 2023
2632 0

Outback Crossing Review

Board Game Reviews
Bugs: Recent Topics Paging, Uploading Images & Preview (11 Dec 2020)

Recent Topics paging, uploading images and preview bugs require a patch which has not yet been released.

× Talk about the latest and greatest AT, and the Classics.

Let's Talk... Neuroshima Hex!

More
20 Aug 2020 16:28 #313301 by Jackwraith
[Just FYI, Gary: I figured I'd start a new thread and see if it took off, rather than regularly attaching it to the end of my article. Feel free to reorganize if you don't want another "Let's Talk" thread.]

With the Troglodytes now in my hands, I read through the rules. My kneejerk reaction upon beginning was: "This is a LOT of special rules." I didn't compare them to all the other factions, but it seems like more. They use the same warrior/module combo that was once unique to Dancer... and then Iron Gang and Sand Runners followed. It's not a bad thing to reuse a good idea, since it does generally create more dynamic opportunity cost decisions. Instead of just dropping a module in a good spot, having its attached warrior(s) killed and then it being basically useless for much of the rest of the game (unless you're Neojungle), your modules carry attacks of their own, which makes using a Move tile on them a significantly greater bonus, since they'll be able to dish out punishment in addition to giving an extra effect.

I'm a little muted on the Frost units, though, since their module effect can only be used against... other modules. That will have significant impact on a couple armies, most notably the aforementioned Neojungle (funny thing, how frost kills plants...) and Uranopolis, but be less so against a lot of others. Again, that's the upside of having modules as part of warriors, since they can serve another purpose if there are no good targets. It's also thematically appropo (These are the REALLY cold guys! Like The Others from GoT.)

The largest theme of Cannibalism is what separates the army from the most immediate comparison, which is Borgo (HQ goes in center, surrounded by warriors that really want to be in touch to maximize their mostly melee attacks.) Just like with Borgo, the point is to attack before your opponent (and their HQ) attacks back and take as much out of their HQ as you can before you die. But you have more variability in the way you execute those attacks IF you're willing to sacrifice other units in order to do so. It actually would've been interesting if Cannibalize worked on the HQ, so you could peel points off yours to do damage to theirs. Guess that might've been tested and found not workable.

I really like the Thrower rule for its unusual shooting attack method (similar to Sharrash's Mortar) and I think the Kids will be standout units for their ability to keep lobbing rocks at an oblique angle while ignoring incoming fire from two different ones. They don't benefit from almost half the Satiety tokens, but dropping 2 Toughness on your unit that's already ignoring shooting attacks and is just pinging away at the enemy HQ in every battle is something to consider; especially when you note the 7 Battle tokens that Troglodytes has available.

Having the base of your units be the tough Tundras and the tri-directional attacking Icicles, both of them on solid initiative (2) makes for a reliable army, I think. Given that any of them could be +1 initiative (if not better) or +1 attack (if not better) for the rest of the game until they're removed and regardless of what happens to the HQ (unlike Borgo), it's not hard to see the "basic guys" doing a lot of the damage for this faction. The Avalanche tile will also be key against opposing shooting nests clustering on one side of the board to say away from your savage melee dudes.

So, yeah. I'm really liking the looks of this. I'm always about opportunity cost choices and this army is replete with them.
The following user(s) said Thank You: ChristopherMD, hotseatgames

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

More
20 Aug 2020 17:04 #313303 by Gary Sax
Yeah, this is def a good idea instead of spreading discussion over your multiple articles!
The following user(s) said Thank You: Jackwraith

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

Moderators: Gary Sax
Time to create page: 0.173 seconds