October 09, 2023
2290 0
O
oliverkinne
October 06, 2023
2507 0

Outback Crossing Review

Board Game Reviews
Bugs: Recent Topics Paging, Uploading Images & Preview (11 Dec 2020)

Recent Topics paging, uploading images and preview bugs require a patch which has not yet been released.

× Talk about the latest and greatest AT, and the Classics.

Mysterious new Hero Quest website

More
23 Sep 2020 10:43 #314438 by hotseatgames

jason10mm wrote: Hmmm, now you have me thinking about a dungeoncrawl where all the bad guys are shot glasses filled with various nasty drinks like jagermeister and goldschlager you have to drink if they defeat you. Last man standing (literally) is the winner!

I think I can sell it to nerdy frat houses :P

That's close to how I play Fireball Island.
The following user(s) said Thank You: jason10mm

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

More
23 Sep 2020 11:29 #314439 by Shellhead

jason10mm wrote:

Shellhead wrote: One of the hosts of the monthly hipster boardgaming group that I attended pre-plague picked up the original 1st edition Hero Quest for too much money at an auction at GenCon 2018. The first time that we played it, he accidentally spilled an expensive hipster beer on the board. So we now call it Beer Quest.

Hmmm, now you have me thinking about a dungeoncrawl where all the bad guys are shot glasses filled with various nasty drinks like jagermeister and goldschlager you have to drink if they defeat you. Last man standing (literally) is the winner!

I think I can sell it to nerdy frat houses :P

I played a drinking game version of Nuclear War with my nerdy friends in college on many occasions. Get Nuked!

More
23 Sep 2020 11:33 - 23 Sep 2020 11:34 #314441 by ubarose
I expected it to be competitive with the D&D co-op board games., which can be gotten for around $45. I think it is a simpler game than the D&D board games, and so expected it would be one that they marketed to the kids themselves and would have a price tag that made it possible for a couple of siblings to save up their allowance and buy together. But I think the reality is that kids are more likely to want to get a video game than a board game.

My nostalgia is that kids will get to have some of the great experiences that I had as a child. Hanging out with friends and siblings, playing board games, figuring out and debating the rules together, solving our own problems without adults to referee, coming up with house rules like "he's only 8 years old, give him a +1." But I think those days are past.
Last edit: 23 Sep 2020 11:34 by ubarose.
The following user(s) said Thank You: Gary Sax, HiveGod, Galdred

More
23 Sep 2020 11:47 #314443 by Msample
The fact that Hasbro bypassed Kickstarter is certainly interesting. A recent columnist on ICv2 theorized that Hasbro assuming direct control over the AH brand might be a precursor to reviving the label. Perhaps this prepub is a test bed that if successful, will result in other titles being re-released in similar fashion.

icv2.com/articles/columns/view/46570/rol...on-hills-move-hasbro
The following user(s) said Thank You: Gary Sax

More
23 Sep 2020 12:10 #314446 by Cambyses

Sagrilarus wrote:

Cambyses wrote: If you mean 35-year-olds as young people . . .

Yes.

I'm just curious regarding "new" gamers (and I know a lot of them aren't young) that have seen Kickstarter have a huge influence in the hobby for their entire length of being part of it. Last winter I had a couple of relatively new gamers make statements that led me to believe they saw Kickstarter as situation normal for the industry. One was in a retail game store surrounded by 2500 titles, indicating to a friend that everything on the shelves had been kickstarted at some point, but were now in retail. The other asked me how many games I had purchased outside of Kickstarter and was very confused when I responded "all but two". So I think some portion of new gamers see pre-pub as just part of business-as-usual.

But this is Hasbro. They're printing a minimum of 100,000 copies of this thing (could have printed them already for all we know) so short of raising $10,000,000 in this Kickstarter they're going to be available in retail. It wouldn't surprise me if these are out before Christmas.

I liked your post before your edit for context, but I really like this post overall. I can see how that sort of attitude suggests a sort of youth or immaturity—after all, it completely misunderstands the history of hobby board game production, development, and sales. I teach secondary school, and that sort of shortsightedness is very common in my students.

Unfortunately, crowdfunding is the new standard, even for large companies. And if they offload all of the risk onto the end user, even better. The trade-off is that the number of things released is greatly expanded, because the available market for them is more clearly defined. I know that the typical complaint among this community is that the amount of crap product has just gone up, and I don't disagree, but the number of available cult-favorite, niche products has also gone up. And RPG designer Kevin Crawford (of Stars Without Number fame) wouldn't have a full-time career making games without a place like Kickstarter, so I guess I'm a net positive on it, in spite of the completely fucked up economic system that has produced it.

More
23 Sep 2020 12:36 #314448 by jason10mm
I don't begrudge Hasbro from taking pre-orders, but at that price (I can't believe this product will retail for $100) and no estimated delivery, it just seems ludicrous. All you get extra are a few minis which will surely be available elsewhere as no big business is gonna leave money on the table like that.

This sorta feels like some rogue exec at Hasbro got the go ahead to run a side project or it is a dream fulfillment goal like the Ogre DE. But I think that is very misleading and this is just a cash grab they will get away with ONCE when folks see these boxes for sale for $60 in stores. Though I think the latest DnDAS game was $80? We'll see what the mini quality is like.

More
23 Sep 2020 12:49 #314449 by Shellhead
Having played Hero Quest 1st edition several times now, I can tell you that the game is highly over-rated and you would be better off picking up Silver Tower. They are both lightweight dungeon crawl board games, but Silver Tower is better in most respects. However, if you really need plastic dungeon furniture, Hero Quest might be the game you need.
The following user(s) said Thank You: Gary Sax

More
23 Sep 2020 13:57 - 23 Sep 2020 13:59 #314461 by ubarose
The other thing is that folks tend to compare games with other games in the same price bracket. HeroQuest just isn't going to be able to hold its own against other games like it in the $100 - $150 price range. That price range sets up expectations with regards to audience and complexity.

As far as game play and audience goes, it really should be being compared to something like the new D&D Adventure Begins Board Game, which has a price tag of $25.

So whichever way you cut it, it's going to fall short.
Last edit: 23 Sep 2020 13:59 by ubarose.
The following user(s) said Thank You: Gary Sax, Msample, Jackwraith, Gregarius

More
23 Sep 2020 14:23 #314463 by Sagrilarus
Well it's made book in about a day, so apparently Hasbro knows a thing or two about selling games. I'll be quiet and watch from here on out.
The following user(s) said Thank You: ubarose, Gary Sax, ChristopherMD

More
23 Sep 2020 14:59 #314466 by ChristopherMD
On the bright side, it's still less than half what copies were selling for on eBay.

More
23 Sep 2020 16:36 #314467 by mtagge

Ah_Pook wrote: Given inflation, the original game would cost about $70 if it released at the same price now that it did back in the 80s. I think they should have tried hard to round that down to $50 rather than up to $100, but looking at how many people are buying in I guess I'm the idiot there.

I didn't have HQ myself, I played my cousin's copy of that. But I did pick up talisman from the local game store for $20 or mowing the neighbor's lawn four times. My mom's professional lawn service is $20 a mow so with my poor napkin math this is twice as expensive for a teenager as the original.

I think your $70 cost is spot on, however with economies of scale and comparisons it shouldn't be more than a AAA video game on release day.
The following user(s) said Thank You: ubarose

More
23 Sep 2020 19:47 #314476 by themothman421
Gee, I was worried that this multinational conglomerate that makes $5 billion dollars each year off of MTG, DND, Transformers, and Star Wars toys couldn't find a way to finance this. Really glad to see consumers are willing to step in and provide some interest-free microloans.
The following user(s) said Thank You: Gary Sax, Jackwraith, mezike, the_jake_1973, Nodens, Andi Lennon

More
24 Sep 2020 09:10 #314488 by jpat
I chipped in $10 just because I believed in the project.
The following user(s) said Thank You: ubarose, Gary Sax, Sagrilarus, mezike, drewcula, birdman37

More
24 Sep 2020 12:06 #314501 by drewcula
Once again, I feel like a F:ATtie outlier;
I immediately backed this project.

I could instantly see what I was stepping into, and I'm fine with it.

There are a few things I'd prefer, but I'm not losing sleep.
- less digital illustrations
- square bases
- more "stuff" for the price point*
- more complementary new stuff

* I'm no economist, but when considering inflation - the price point doesn't seem outrageous. I wouldn't consider it a "value." Another expansion would really have made the pre-order a deal (for me). But as is, I would ball park my payment at a 15 - 20% premium. The cost of shipping stings, but that's also a price of business that frequently gets disguised elsewhere.

Otherwise, this is a fine "reprint" of a classic. I already own everything for the OG. I'm the collector here but also, a player. I bought it when I was 14. My buddies and I saw through it for a light RPG and we had a blast over 54+ adventures. I still have 2 of those buddies, and we re-played 20 scenarios between 2017-18 with RAW. It was still a fucking blast. Beers, burgers, and bullshitting. None of us were bemoaning a 'roll to move' "mechanic." Give me a beak.

So you may be asking, "Drew? If you already own it and have no shame in playing a game meant for ten year olds, why did you pre-order this thing?"

Answer: because I want to paint it. I'll have a lot of fun revisiting some old characters I adore, now with a facelift. Facelifts usually look stupid on most people, but these heroes are trope-tastic. I'll have fun slinging paint on them. If my support helps nudge Hasborg into making more of the old expansions? All good for me.

YMMclearlyV, but I'm pleased with this Heroquest thus far. I would think there's enough 40 something Heroquesters out there with a brood of 8-10 year olds that could use some dungeon exposure. I bet they'll dig it too.
The following user(s) said Thank You: ubarose, Rliyen, Gary Sax, Gregarius

More
24 Sep 2020 12:11 #314502 by Gary Sax
You don't need to feel bad for liking things or backing things. If people loved the original heroquest system, they should buy it. I'm actually quite shocked it came back virtually unchanged, which is what many of you wanted! I don't think 100 dollars is a terrible price either calibrated against today's prices, it's just a little high for the the self-directed discovery by kids that ubarose is talking about.

I actually think most of the scorn in this thread is not for the game. It's for the idea of Hasbro doing a prepaid kickstarter, which is more of a scorn about the ironies of late capitalism.

Moderators: Gary Sax
Time to create page: 0.362 seconds