October 09, 2023
2455 0
O
oliverkinne
October 06, 2023
2658 0

Outback Crossing Review

Board Game Reviews
Bugs: Recent Topics Paging, Uploading Images & Preview (11 Dec 2020)

Recent Topics paging, uploading images and preview bugs require a patch which has not yet been released.

× Talk about the latest and greatest AT, and the Classics.

Mysterious new Hero Quest website

More
24 Sep 2020 12:19 #314503 by hotseatgames
Exactly. It's totally cool that they are doing a re-print. It's totally uncool that they aren't self-funding it.
The following user(s) said Thank You: ubarose

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

More
24 Sep 2020 12:31 #314505 by Rliyen

ubarose wrote: It looks like Hasbro has set up their own Kickstarteresque pre-order for this.
https://hasbropulse.com/products/heroquest-game-system

It will go into production if they get a million dollars in pledges by November 6.

I've not seen them do this for other games/toys, have you?

And they've made it. So, I'm going to do the Mythic Pledge.

Happy Birthday to me!
The following user(s) said Thank You: ubarose

More
24 Sep 2020 13:18 #314508 by drewcula
I sort of get the hate for a huge enterprise to offer pre-orders. OTOH, I look at the few other items that have been pushed through Haslab. The big f***ing Transformer? That Star Wars Sail Barge?

These are big, expensive toys. How is a box store like Target or Walmart going to justify them on a shelf? I'm still no economist, but it seems like the profit margin is better to stock and move more topical and lower priced toys with a smaller footprint.
The following user(s) said Thank You: ubarose, Rliyen, Gary Sax, ChristopherMD

More
24 Sep 2020 13:35 #314513 by ChristopherMD
I wonder if the upfront $100 is because they're predicting bad retail sales. It is a 30 year old game competing in a crowded genre with no LotR or Potter type IP to help it stand out nowadays. I get the complaint about fucking Hasbro of all companies asking for pre-funding but I honestly don't think they would have re-printed this otherwise. Certainly not with expansions until seeing sales numbers for the regular game. Also I'm pretty sure crowd-funding is the future of the hobby regardless of company so best get used to it.
The following user(s) said Thank You: Shellhead, Gary Sax, Msample, drewcula

More
24 Sep 2020 13:56 #314515 by Gregarius

ChristopherMD wrote: Also I'm pretty sure crowd-funding is the future of the hobby regardless of company so best get used to it.

Not just our hobby. So many industries are taking the risk off the company and putting it on the consumer. Subscription boxes. Uber. We're at the beginning of a big shift in how companies work.

Back to topic-- I kinda missed out on HeroQuest. I would have loved it in the day, but I didn't discover it until many years later. So much so that none of my friends (mature, sophisticated gamers, all) wanted anything to do with it. I've found several copies at thrift stores over the years, and after pining over the hope of playing for about a year, always end up selling them.

I'm glad that they're keeping the gameplay and art essentially the same. There are plenty of variants on this theme already, so why compete with them? Stick with what you're good at. Besides, it's charming.
The following user(s) said Thank You: Gary Sax, ChristopherMD, hotseatgames, drewcula

More
24 Sep 2020 14:06 #314517 by Shellhead
Still on the fence? Watch this:

The following user(s) said Thank You: Rliyen, allismom3, jpat, jason10mm, Sacco, Gregarius, Galdred

More
24 Sep 2020 14:32 #314522 by mezike
I was waiting for someone to post that. It’s possibly the greatest boardgame review of all time. Then again, any boardgame review with Heroquest is automatically the greatest boardgame review of all time, it’s just that this one has more heroquest than any other boardgame review.

More
24 Sep 2020 14:48 #314524 by Shellhead

mezike wrote: I was waiting for someone to post that. It’s possibly the greatest boardgame review of all time. Then again, any boardgame review with Heroquest is automatically the greatest boardgame review of all time, it’s just that this one has more heroquest than any other boardgame review.

The host/Heroquest owner of the local hipster boardgame group makes all prospective players watch that video on his phone.
The following user(s) said Thank You: Rliyen

More
24 Sep 2020 18:14 #314535 by Rliyen

Shellhead wrote: Still on the fence? Watch this:

Oh, no! Mormons!

*TAK*

More
24 Sep 2020 19:23 #314544 by dysjunct
That video is really convincing.
The following user(s) said Thank You: Rliyen

More
24 Sep 2020 22:57 #314551 by Msample

ChristopherMD wrote: I wonder if the upfront $100 is because they're predicting bad retail sales. It is a 30 year old game competing in a crowded genre with no LotR or Potter type IP to help it stand out nowadays. I get the complaint about fucking Hasbro of all companies asking for pre-funding but I honestly don't think they would have re-printed this otherwise. Certainly not with expansions until seeing sales numbers for the regular game. Also I'm pretty sure crowd-funding is the future of the hobby regardless of company so best get used to it.

Given Hasbros mass market distribution, a $100 price point is a much bigger ask for their normal chain sellers than the typical $30-$40 Star Wars monopoly etc. So the direct prepub may reflect the acknowledgement that it won't hit many of their usual retail channels.

As far as shaming them for KS given their size, I have no animosity for a company taking free money if people are willing to give it to them. Its not like they are putting a gun to people's head.
The following user(s) said Thank You: Rliyen, Gary Sax, ChristopherMD, jason10mm

More
25 Sep 2020 00:36 #314553 by themothman421

ChristopherMD wrote: Also I'm pretty sure crowd-funding is the future of the hobby regardless of company so best get used to it.

God I hope not, but even if it is I've personally plateaued in terms of acquiring games from KS or similar channels. The last one I backed was Root and even then I should have just waited for retail. Part of me hopes this will knock down the price of the original game since I kind of like the less-detailed miniatures and the 90's style card art. If not, once Hasbro starts asking for money towards the inevitable Heroquest 2: Legacy Edition, maybe there will be used KS copies of this floating around.

More
25 Sep 2020 08:54 #314556 by Sagrilarus

themothman421 wrote:

God I hope not,

I've moved to buying all used games. Most hobby gamers treat their copies like museum pieces so they're in great shape when I get them, and I have a much better idea of the qualities of the gameplay before I purchase. This Heroquest thing may be the best game ever and if it is I'll buy it, likely in the Spring or Summer of next year.
The following user(s) said Thank You: ubarose, Rliyen, ChristopherMD, HiveGod, jpat, themothman421, jason10mm, Ah_Pook

More
25 Sep 2020 10:37 #314561 by Rliyen

Sagrilarus wrote:

themothman421 wrote:

God I hope not,

I've moved to buying all used games. Most hobby gamers treat their copies like museum pieces so they're in great shape when I get them, and I have a much better idea of the qualities of the gameplay before I purchase. This Heroquest thing may be the best game ever and if it is I'll buy it, likely in the Spring or Summer of next year.

I'm like that as well. Shoot, I just picked up Jaws from a salvage reseller for $15. All pieces and cards accounted for. The nice thing about Ravensburger is that they will gladly replace anything missing. Last year, I picked up Jurassic Park and it was missing one of the character cards. One trip to the website and one email later, I had a new card shipped out to me.

However, I am always a sucker for clearance items, that's the ONLY time I'll buy new.
The following user(s) said Thank You: ChristopherMD, themothman421

More
26 Sep 2020 08:46 #314576 by Msample
Looks like Hasbro is crowdfunding other stuff besides games: io9.gizmodo.com/the-mandalorian-s-razor-...-magnific-1845167725
The following user(s) said Thank You: Gary Sax

Moderators: Gary Sax
Time to create page: 0.551 seconds