October 09, 2023
2455 0
O
oliverkinne
October 06, 2023
2657 0

Outback Crossing Review

Board Game Reviews
Bugs: Recent Topics Paging, Uploading Images & Preview (11 Dec 2020)

Recent Topics paging, uploading images and preview bugs require a patch which has not yet been released.

× Talk about the latest and greatest AT, and the Classics.

Camp Grizzly might get back into print!

More
23 Sep 2020 17:45 - 23 Sep 2020 17:47 #314472 by mezike
Van Ryder Games have made a very public plea to Jason Topolski to grant them the rights to do a reprint. I’ve played a few times on TTS and really enjoy it so I do hope they can work something out as I’d love it to become more readily available.

boardgamegeek.com/thread/2504602/open-of...gnerpublisher/page/1
Last edit: 23 Sep 2020 17:47 by mezike.
The following user(s) said Thank You: Shellhead, sornars, Andi Lennon

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

More
23 Sep 2020 17:55 #314473 by Shellhead
I already have my base set and all five expansions, but I wouldn't mind buying a second copy. A couple of years ago, somebody spilled a beer on some of my cards while we were putting the game away. Fortunately, we had paper towels close at hand and no cards or players were permanently harmed by the incident.

Camp Grizzly is one of my favorite games in my whole collection, easily top 5. I think that another print run could easily sell out, and this game deserves a wider audience. They could even improve the layout of the rulebook for 2nd edition.
The following user(s) said Thank You: Rliyen, mezike, hotseatgames

More
23 Sep 2020 19:22 #314474 by jason10mm
This is a Friday the 13th type game, right? 1 vs many or co-op? I love slasher movies so this ought to be right up my alley but I think I just like the T&A (sadly lacking in most slasher films these days) and the gore (which is crazy abundant) which probably don't translate well to board games. If it hits the campiness just right like Last Night on Earth did I might reconsider.

More
23 Sep 2020 19:45 #314475 by ubarose
Lol. Folks in that thread are already “suggesting” changes - the box is too small, the art work is bad, no the art work is great, make the board modular, it needs a campaign mode, blah, blah, blah, blah, blah.
The following user(s) said Thank You: Rliyen, mezike, hotseatgames, Andi Lennon

More
23 Sep 2020 23:27 #314478 by Andi Lennon

ubarose wrote: Lol. Folks in that thread are already “suggesting” changes - the box is too small, the art work is bad, no the art work is great, make the board modular, it needs a campaign mode, blah, blah, blah, blah, blah.

Being privy to the comment section on a kickstarter game has been a bit of an eye-opener in this regard. Good lord. Creators- follow your vision!
The following user(s) said Thank You: ubarose, themothman421, sornars

More
24 Sep 2020 08:55 #314487 by the_jake_1973
A campaign mode? for Otis maybe. LOL
The following user(s) said Thank You: ubarose, Josh Look

More
24 Sep 2020 09:40 #314489 by Sagrilarus

mezike wrote: Van Ryder Games have made a very public plea to Jason Topolski to grant them the rights to do a reprint. I’ve played a few times on TTS and really enjoy it so I do hope they can work something out as I’d love it to become more readily available.

boardgamegeek.com/thread/2504602/open-of...gnerpublisher/page/1

Is this just a schmoe with a logo throwing an empty offer out on a free chat site? To date it sounds like two minutes of effort (assuming he proof-reads).

Maybe I'll make a play for this title.

More
24 Sep 2020 10:01 - 24 Sep 2020 10:04 #314490 by hotseatgames
I seem to recall that Van Ryder got in a bit of hot water a while back when they did something regarding negative reviews of their games. I don't remember the specific incident but Sir Michael Barnes does, I expect.

Didn't they also send out some sort of "content creator" awards, too? Seemed sketchy as fuck.
Last edit: 24 Sep 2020 10:04 by hotseatgames.

More
24 Sep 2020 10:16 #314491 by Shellhead

jason10mm wrote: This is a Friday the 13th type game, right? 1 vs many or co-op? I love slasher movies so this ought to be right up my alley but I think I just like the T&A (sadly lacking in most slasher films these days) and the gore (which is crazy abundant) which probably don't translate well to board games. If it hits the campiness just right like Last Night on Earth did I might reconsider.

Camp Grizzly is definitely inspired by the Friday the 13th movies. It's co-op, and the very structure of the game ramps up the difficulty level with the number of players. The artwork is cartoonish enough to avoid disturbing the more sensitive players, but the gameplay keeps the proceedings tense and interesting. I've played with two dozen different players since I got it, and every single one of them enjoyed the game, even some players who normally prefer eurogames. The components do a nice job of serving up the setting and tone, and the game delivers a decent semblance of a story. The only flaw with the base game is the limited number of endgame scenarios, with two for each of the four exits from the map. The expansions yield a total of three more endgame scenarios for each exit, which is plenty.
The following user(s) said Thank You: ubarose, Rliyen, mezike, jason10mm

More
24 Sep 2020 11:49 #314496 by mezike
I don't know or care much about the politics of the hobby, and even less for paid-for content creators, which is why I tend to hang around here to talk and read about boardgames. In any case Van Ryder are an established publisher - they had a lot of success with Hostage Negotiator, Detective: City of Angels, Graphic Novel Adventures, and more recently Final Girl. If they can get the rights then I'd trust them to do a good job of it, and I'll certainly be onboard from day one. The game is immense fun to play.
The following user(s) said Thank You: ubarose, hotseatgames

More
24 Sep 2020 11:52 #314497 by mezike

Shellhead wrote: It's co-op

...but only up to a point. You can totally start the endgame and leave somebody behind, and there are even characters and cards that split the group and add traitors etc. (this might all be in the expansion content though) I think there's a character who specifically only wins if they win alone?
The following user(s) said Thank You: ubarose

More
24 Sep 2020 12:21 #314504 by Shellhead

mezike wrote:

Shellhead wrote: It's co-op

...but only up to a point. You can totally start the endgame and leave somebody behind, and there are even characters and cards that split the group and add traitors etc. (this might all be in the expansion content though) I think there's a character who specifically only wins if they win alone?

Good point. Semi-co-op would be a more accurate description. With three exceptions, every game I have played has been pure co-op, with all the players working together to get everyone out alive.

Exception 1: The bodycount was high, and all but one player were in position to exit the board into an endgame. That player was heavily wounded and on the far side of the board. He nobly said, "leave me behind and save yourselves," so we did.

Exception 2: A selfish player happened to score a set of three items to trigger an endgame and left the rest of us behind. He encountered a biker gang and they beat him to death. The rest of us later exited as a group and survived our own endgame for the win.

Exception 3: My overly competitive girlfriend who doesn't often play boardgames left me behind, and I got killed by Otis. She rejected the entire concept of co-op and was focused on beating me. She tried to swim across the lake to escape the camp, but Otis caught her and drowned her.

I have only played a few times with the expansion material so far, and haven't tried either the traitor variant or the second killer variant.
The following user(s) said Thank You: ubarose, Rliyen, jay718, mezike

More
24 Sep 2020 12:47 #314507 by ubarose
LOL. Every game I've played we have ditched someone.

More
24 Sep 2020 13:21 #314509 by drewcula
BGGers are a weird bunch. The main criticism for ANY Ameri-trash game is seemingly:
Can I play solo?
Is there a "legacy" / campaign mode?

To them, I say "fuck off."

Also, Camp Grizzly's illustrations are the best part. The illustrator works/worked for Pixar.
The following user(s) said Thank You: ubarose, Shellhead, dysjunct, allismom3, Msample, mezike

More
24 Sep 2020 13:38 #314514 by Shellhead

ubarose wrote: LOL. Every game I've played we have ditched someone.

At least one of the expansions introduced counselors with abilities that encouraged less teamwork and more enlightened self-interest, so I will probably see more ditching in future games.

Moderators: Gary Sax
Time to create page: 0.335 seconds