October 09, 2023
2290 0
O
oliverkinne
October 06, 2023
2507 0

Outback Crossing Review

Board Game Reviews
Bugs: Recent Topics Paging, Uploading Images & Preview (11 Dec 2020)

Recent Topics paging, uploading images and preview bugs require a patch which has not yet been released.

× Talk about the latest and greatest AT, and the Classics.

FFG No Longer Developing Star Wars Minis Games

More
01 Dec 2020 10:39 #316738 by jpat
I didn't check it myself, but I think there are some differences in the Asmodee sleeves relative to the old FFG ones, which, if so, is annoying for continuity reasons with LCGs or games with expansions.

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

More
01 Dec 2020 10:54 #316740 by Gary Sax
FFG sleeves were really good, that's sad!

More
01 Dec 2020 11:56 #316749 by dysjunct
Yeah that’s the biggest letdown for me. I haven’t really been into the direction FFG’s games have been going for about ten years (it’s not you, it’s me) but their sleeves were my absolute favorite. High quality, consistent, good price.

More
01 Dec 2020 14:08 #316757 by n815e

Sagrilarus wrote: I think that era of game publisher is gone. Now you're either huge, or you're micro. There's a couple left in the middle, but I think they're a dying breed.

Purely my worthless opinion, but publishers come and go.

Some of the giants will fall and some of the small ones, or the Kickstarter ones, will grow into bigger companies.

But, even then, small Kickstarter publishers may not have in-house support, but they are still hiring consultants: artists, marketers, printers, etc.

More
21 Dec 2020 17:42 #317395 by sornars
More signs of the decay/restructure, FFG shutting down their forums: community.fantasyflightgames.com/topic/3...-ffg-forum-shutdown/

Discord is nice enough but losing searchable content on the open web to ephemeral walled gardens is terrible.
The following user(s) said Thank You: Sagrilarus, jpat, n815e

More
21 Dec 2020 17:56 #317396 by jpat
It's really unfortunate. Game-specific forums can be a good resource for the kinds of crunchy discussions among (mostly) devoted fans that aren't particularly well suited to more general forums such as this or BGG.

But they not only dumped the forums for the minis games that are moving over to Atomic Mass but also all the forums.
The following user(s) said Thank You: Gary Sax, sornars

More
21 Dec 2020 18:13 #317397 by Disgustipater

sornars wrote: Discord is nice enough but losing searchable content on the open web to ephemeral walled gardens is terrible.

I’ve always wondered how people use Discord for anything other than having a conversation right now in realtime. Because unless there’s functionality I’m not aware of, an active Discord will make anything older than 10 minutes impossible to find or follow.
The following user(s) said Thank You: mezike, sornars

More
21 Dec 2020 19:24 #317399 by DarthJoJo
Discord is a fancy chat room. I hate it. There’s a reason we abandoned the format before W. Bush’s presidency.
The following user(s) said Thank You: sornars

More
21 Dec 2020 22:19 #317413 by Gary Sax
I quite like well-run Discord communities as I've gotten used to them, I think they provide an actual living community for a game unlike BGG or something like that. But it does tend to be all about what's going on now, though there is robust search function in Discord.

More
21 Dec 2020 23:13 #317414 by Sagrilarus

sornars wrote: More signs of the decay/restructure, FFG shutting down their forums: community.fantasyflightgames.com/topic/3...-ffg-forum-shutdown/

Discord is nice enough but losing searchable content on the open web to ephemeral walled gardens is terrible.

Cutting costs, more or less admitting that they aren't the best place to come for information on their games. Owning your own forums has the advantage of getting to influence the conversation more, but that requires time and effort that they may not be interested in putting in.
The following user(s) said Thank You: Gary Sax, Msample, sornars

More
21 Dec 2020 23:41 #317417 by Gary Sax
Counterpoint: forums are an old person form of internet communication. If I'm playing devil's advocate, discord is a much better fit with the Whatsapp generation who doesn't go around shaking their fist at clouds by commenting on facebook news politics stories.

But no, I don't think this is a great sign about what is going on there when combined with all the other signs.

More
22 Dec 2020 00:09 #317418 by Sagrilarus

Gary Sax wrote: Counterpoint: forums are an old person form of internet communication. If I'm playing devil's advocate, discord is a much better fit with the Whatsapp generation who doesn't go around shaking their fist at clouds by commenting on facebook news politics stories.

Then you run the Discord group.

More
22 Dec 2020 08:08 #317426 by sornars

Gary Sax wrote: I quite like well-run Discord communities as I've gotten used to them, I think they provide an actual living community for a game unlike BGG or something like that. But it does tend to be all about what's going on now, though there is robust search function in Discord.

The issue is not so much searching within Discord but about discoverability when not in Discord. What Discord server did the conversation take place on? Do you have a valid invite? Do you know someone who can invite you?

A walled garden can't be searched unless you're already in the garden and the silos created by Discord are even more exclusive than something like Facebook Groups; at least Facebook Groups can be discovered via Facebook's search. Most users of forums are lurkers not posters so posts that can be read by folks who aren't "active" in the community are incredibly valuable. To your point, for a closed community Discord is pretty useful but it's not particularly open by design.
The following user(s) said Thank You: Gary Sax, mezike

More
22 Dec 2020 09:24 #317428 by fightcitymayor

Gary Sax wrote: Counterpoint: forums are an old person form of internet communication. If I'm playing devil's advocate, discord is a much better fit with the Whatsapp generation who doesn't go around shaking their fist at clouds by commenting on facebook news politics stories.

Dominion voting machines paid for by George Soros and run by BLM were pre-loaded with false ballots filled out on election night by Antifa goons under the direction of Hillary Clinton!
And Scott Alden has clearly paid off Asmodee to nuke the FFG forums so BGG is the last man standing!
It's time for martial law! WAKE UP, SHEEPLE!!!
The following user(s) said Thank You: Gary Sax, RobertB, sornars, n815e

More
22 Dec 2020 09:37 - 22 Dec 2020 09:50 #317430 by Gary Sax

Sagrilarus wrote: Then you run the Discord group.

I've thought hard about it! If we were maximizing engagement like we try to as best we can for articles and I was paid to do this, I absolutely would.

As it is, I do the TTS discord I made for covid but it's not affiliated with the site so I can moderate it however I want. It wouldn't be hard to do a TWBG discord, I'd just have to decide how to moderate it. The slack that was made ended up being a place to bitch about the site, more power to them, but as fun as that is for people I'm not sure it's a good look for some sort of official site discord.

I think the discoverability problem is definitely significant. Leder games just took over managing their main fan discord (Woodland Warriors), it'll be interesting to see how that plays out for a company. Might be a model for FFG's more popular games.
Last edit: 22 Dec 2020 09:50 by Gary Sax.

Moderators: Gary Sax
Time to create page: 0.371 seconds