October 09, 2023
2286 0
O
oliverkinne
October 06, 2023
2504 0

Outback Crossing Review

Board Game Reviews
Bugs: Recent Topics Paging, Uploading Images & Preview (11 Dec 2020)

Recent Topics paging, uploading images and preview bugs require a patch which has not yet been released.

× Talk about the latest and greatest AT, and the Classics.

What game got you addicted to board games?

More
17 Feb 2021 16:33 #319286 by seddie
I'm Sierra and just got recently re-addicted to board games and party games etc. What game got you addicted to board games?
The following user(s) said Thank You: Gary Sax, dysjunct, Sagrilarus, Jackwraith, mezike, Jexik, sornars, n815e

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

More
17 Feb 2021 16:42 #319288 by Sagrilarus
First of all, welcome aboard!

I have to go off of the grid a bit and put Dungeons & Dragons firmly in that #1 spot. I was playing other games at the time, mid 70s, a lot chits with tanks on them. But even prior to "role" being a major portion of my role playing, D&D was a stunning change due to its freedom of movement.

More
17 Feb 2021 16:53 #319290 by Jackwraith
Hi, Sierra! Welcome to TWBG.

Like Sag, I'm in a bit of a mix with early forms of D&D and cardboard chits with numbers on them, specifically Panzerblitz. But although board games were in my sphere as a hardcore RPGer at that time (around 10-12 years old), I think the game that really won me over and stayed with me for a couple decades afterwards was Talisman. In a lot of ways, it basically was D&D on a board, so you can probably see the appeal. Add in old classics like Cosmic Encounter and Wiz-War and you can see where I was coming from in the cardboard world. I was a long-time Magic: The Gathering and Games Workshop (40K, etc.) player, too. Thinking about it, what led me to eventually fall away pretty much exclusively to board-type games in this century was probably War of the Ring.

More
17 Feb 2021 17:33 #319291 by the_jake_1973
I cut my teeth on Avalon Hill and Games Workshop games early on. I think Blood Bowl and Blood Royale were my first 'hobby games'. The Avalon Hill games followed soon after with Flight Leader, Firepower, Gladiator, and Richthofen's War. Battletech and Car Wars fell in there at some point.

More
17 Feb 2021 18:37 #319295 by Shellhead
My dad very randomly got addicted to Acquire when I was 5 years old. He soon taught my mom and I how to play so he could always get a game going. Probably played it an average of once a month until I moved out to go to college. And then one of my neighbors in the dorm was a business major who was also an Acquire fan.

But like Sag, a role-playing game was the game changer for how I viewed board games. Aside from my dad's fixation on Acquire, he usually bought family boardgames or American Heritage lite wargames for my birthday or Christmas presents, but I generally viewed board games as one of various possible leisure activities and not as a hobby. Then I randomly bought the first edition Gamma World boxed set while at a comic book convention. I got heavy into role-playing games in general, but the same stores that sold rpgs also sold some primordial Ameritrash games, which tended to play out like rpg-lite gaming. By the time I finished college, I had a modest AT board game collection, though I still didn't think of it as a separate hobby from gaming in general.

More
17 Feb 2021 18:38 #319296 by hotseatgames
Descent: Journeys in the Dark was my introduction to the hobby, and later, designing. So if you don't like my work, Kevin Wilson is to blame.
The following user(s) said Thank You: birdman37

More
17 Feb 2021 18:41 #319297 by dysjunct
Axis & Allies.

I played a lot of Risk and Monopoly etc. as a kid, but when I played that I was blown away.

More
17 Feb 2021 19:08 #319298 by Dr. Mabuse
Welcome Sierra!

Wow, that's a hard question for me to answer as I have been in love with the since I was a kid in the 70s. If I had to guess I would say it was either Hang On Harvey or maybe checkers. I asked for boardgames for birthdays and Xmases early.

More
17 Feb 2021 19:08 #319299 by mezike
Hello Sierra, and welcome.

As a kid I lived just a few blocks away from the original Games Workshop store in Dalling Road, Hammersmith, back in the days when they were importing games and not just selling their own product. I still remember the first time I went in, it was a whole new eye-opening world that such awesome toys could exist. My first 'hobby' games were Samurai Blades and then I started to buy into GWs own range of early product, Battlecars, Fury of Dracula and their line of 2000AD themed games. I got into role-playing at High School, firstly with D&D but then mostly Cyberpunk/Shadowrun because teenage boys.

I dropped out during my college years after my Mum decided to sell the entirety of my nascent collection at a car boot sale when she moved home while I was living in dorms. Then, just after the turn of the century, I had a friend at the time who was a circus performer and she came back from a convention in Germany with a copy of Settlers of Catan. I discovered a whole new world of gaming, fell down the BGG/Euro-game rabbit hole, then came back to my senses after playing the excellent Battlestar Galactica. Sold all the Euros then bought too many Ameritrash titles, and nowadays I make a conscious effort not to collect and to instead keep only a very small and heavily curated set of games at home. So if I am an addict then I suppose I'm in stage three recovery but occasionally falling off the wagon.
The following user(s) said Thank You: Jexik

More
17 Feb 2021 19:09 - 17 Feb 2021 19:20 #319300 by Jexik
I was 9 years old when I first got addicted to Magic (4th edition had just come out). I remember Black Lotus at a couple hundred dollars being way beyond my budget.

But Heroscape was the game that got me back into board games, and ultimately this site.
Last edit: 17 Feb 2021 19:20 by Jexik.
The following user(s) said Thank You: Sagrilarus

More
18 Feb 2021 09:32 #319310 by Josh Look
I got a copy of Lord of the Rings Risk for my 19th birthday. That was it. From there I picked up FFG's World of Warcraft (the big coffin box one) and War of the Ring.

More
18 Feb 2021 10:26 #319315 by charlest

dysjunct wrote: Axis & Allies.

I played a lot of Risk and Monopoly etc. as a kid, but when I played that I was blown away.

Exactly my story. Played Risk, Monopoly, Stratego, etc.

Young adult who was a worker at the latchkey program of my elementary school introduced me to Axis & Allies and I was hooked. Saved up money from a garage sale to buy my own copy.
The following user(s) said Thank You: dysjunct

More
18 Feb 2021 11:24 #319319 by Gary Sax
I was deep into Games Workshop stuff in my teens before pushing games and nerd stuff out of my life in shame for like 15 years.

My way back into the hobby was a copy of Railroad Tycoon.

More
18 Feb 2021 13:57 - 18 Feb 2021 13:57 #319325 by drewcula
It's tough to discern which was first: Dungeon! or Dark Tower.

Regardless, fantasy was my earliest jam thanks to mom dragging me to see Conan the Barbarian. I was six. It was intense. I'll remember every nihilistic moment perfectly. My older brother was deep into D&D, and Dungeon! / Dark Tower were there as a gateway for the impressionable youth like myself.
Last edit: 18 Feb 2021 13:57 by drewcula.

More
18 Feb 2021 16:51 #319326 by Space Ghost
Wizard's Quest --- still love the Orc Frenzy.
The following user(s) said Thank You: Gary Sax, The King in Yellow

Moderators: Gary Sax
Time to create page: 0.196 seconds