October 09, 2023
2289 0
O
oliverkinne
October 06, 2023
2506 0

Outback Crossing Review

Board Game Reviews
Bugs: Recent Topics Paging, Uploading Images & Preview (11 Dec 2020)

Recent Topics paging, uploading images and preview bugs require a patch which has not yet been released.

× Talk about the latest and greatest AT, and the Classics.

Warhammer Quest: Cursed City

More
15 Apr 2021 19:40 - 15 Apr 2021 19:40 #322185 by hotseatgames
Tonight I started my first Decapitation mission. This is a two part process; first you engage in what is called a Deliverance mission, which harkens back to old school Warhammer Quest, dynamically building the dungeon as you go, room by room. Behind you, an invincible swarm of skeletons is consuming the dungeon as you go, so you can't screw around.

That's what they would have you think, anyway. Spawn rules are different for this mode. Every time you place a tile, it gets some enemies on it. Their activation card goes to the END of the initiative row. IF, and it's a big IF, they survive the round, their card will get mixed in as normal. I had a single character take one point of damage in this part of the journey, and that got healed in the next round.

I'm now set up for the second part of the journey, which has custom rules that I can already tell will be more deadly for the heroes. How deadly... I'll see tomorrow.

The game is too fucking easy, and I don't think I'm doing something wrong. Monsters just don't get to activate that much before they are decimated. Hey, at least I shouldn't have much trouble moving my copy if that's what I decide to do.
Last edit: 15 Apr 2021 19:40 by hotseatgames.
The following user(s) said Thank You: sornars

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

More
15 Apr 2021 19:51 #322186 by Msample

Shellhead wrote:

charlest wrote: I wonder if implications of Brexit or manufacturing issues are causing a smaller profit than they were expecting so someone up the chain made a decision to pull the plug.

I suppose that's possible, but the retail price is 33% higher than Blackstone Fortress 3 years ago, for roughly the same quantity of contents. Except for one critical difference... 60 minis in CC and only 44 in BSF. And minis are the primary selling point for most people, and possibly a significant part of the cost. So, yeah, maybe profitability doesn't look great for Cursed City, especially in the face of negative initial reviews. I'm not deeply (or at all) vested in the success of Cursed City, but I am going to need to play it some before reaching my own conclusions about the quality. There seems to be a somewhat different approach to leveling the characters, and maybe the night stats for the monsters offer enough of a bump in challenge level. That said, the healing process is easier in this game, with even grievous wounds able to be healed right in the middle of a fight.

Minis are a huge part of the cost - commissioning new molds isn't cheap. That said given the huge initial demand and the sales history they've gotten from prior big box releases, you'd think they could peg the print run a little better. Sure, selling out is great, but not when you leave money on the table. I wonder if they had a bunch of QA fallout or something similar that reduced the print run, hence the uncertainty of if and when it will be printed again. This seems like an unforeseen stumble and not something that was planned to be this limited from the get go. Long term, it may drive more FOMO early buys of future boxed sets.

More
16 Apr 2021 08:49 #322187 by hotseatgames

hotseatgames wrote: If I deem it to be outstaying its welcome, I'll probably just creatively adjust the rules. One that immediately comes to mind would be 10 hostile group cards, regardless of whether or not they contained a champion.

The next thing I'll be trying is spawning hostile groups deliberately above my heroes' level. Another idea is always using the 'night' side of the monster cards, but I haven't even examined those yet so I don't know how that would go. I have not had a game go long enough to hit night time.

More
16 Apr 2021 19:58 #322223 by hotseatgames
Tonight I played the first Decapitation mission to completion, and successfully felled the Vargskyr, which is this giant vampire wolf, essentially. The addition of this monster actually added some challenge, since he runs away every time you hit him, and summoning him gives him two free swats at you. He hits HARD, and managed to damage a couple of heroes pretty badly.

The other monsters were not much in the way of obstacles, and mainly served to just literally get in the heroes' way. The mission itself was fun, although I am still convinced that you would never want to play this game with more than 2 players, because there simply is not enough cool stuff to do for 4 heroes.

As for the campaign, I plan to fast track it, just doing the decapitation missions. After that, we will see. I think the Hunt missions could still be viable if you up the difficulty.
The following user(s) said Thank You: Gary Sax, themothman421, sornars

More
17 Apr 2021 02:50 #322227 by Matt Thrower

hotseatgames wrote: The mission itself was fun, although I am still convinced that you would never want to play this game with more than 2 players, because there simply is not enough cool stuff to do for 4 heroes.

Wait, you've been playing with 2 heroes? Don't have the rules in front of me but I'm pretty sure it insists you play with 4 heroes, regardless of player count.

If I'm right, and you've been finding it too easy with just two heroes ...

More
17 Apr 2021 09:26 #322234 by charlest
Nah, pretty sure he's saying he's playing with four heroes but at least two of them are sitting around doing nothing each turn. So he'd hate to play it with four people and have two actual people sitting around doing nothing.

More
17 Apr 2021 10:29 - 17 Apr 2021 14:57 #322238 by hotseatgames
Charlie is right, I mean that 2 heroes are invariably spending their turns searching mysterious objects or waiting for something to hit.

It reminded me a bit of that CMON dungeon crawl with the shadow areas on the board. Spellcasters were always so fucking boring, the tank characters got all the fun.

edit- Massive Darkness. I literally owned this game and couldn't remember the name.
Last edit: 17 Apr 2021 14:57 by hotseatgames.

More
17 Apr 2021 14:31 #322242 by Matt Thrower

hotseatgames wrote: Charlie is right, I mean that 2 heroes are invariably spending their turns searching mysterious objects or waiting for something to hit.

Ah, I see. I wonder if this might actually be a solution: play that game with three heroes, or even two, instead of the listed four? Would help with the difficulty, at least.

More
17 Apr 2021 14:57 #322244 by hotseatgames
That would certainly make things more difficult. I absolutely think the game can be "tuned" to the right difficulty for any given group. Maybe GW just thought of it as baby's first dungeon crawl.

More
17 Apr 2021 23:40 #322253 by hotseatgames
Played the second Decapitation mission tonight. I won on round 2. One hero did sustain 3 wounds, and another sustained 5 wounds. They die if they take 9 wounds.

One hero literally never left their starting space.

Tomorrow I'm doing the next Decapitation mission, and although I'm not bothering with the deliverance lead-in, I'm also not assuming that my heroes got inspired at all. Going in with nothing should prove more challenging, and this next mission has a lot of enemies in it.
The following user(s) said Thank You: themothman421, sornars

More
18 Apr 2021 15:49 - 18 Apr 2021 15:49 #322269 by hotseatgames
Third Decapitation mission (Gorslav the Gravekeeper) down. This was the hardest one yet, mainly due to two circumstances: in order to increase the difficulty, I didn't have any heroes start out Inspired, which likely would have happened if I would have bothered to do the deliverance portion of the mission.

The other, and much more devastating problem, was that none of my heroes could roll dice for shit.

None of them escaped getting beat on this time, and the board was stuffed with the undead; my heroes couldn't even hope to destroy the various mysterious objects on the map because they could not reach them. The only way to win was to literally defeat the boss 4 times, and this task was achieved almost single-handedly by one hero. Overall I would classify this mission as frustrating, but achievable. Not one of the more fun ones.
Last edit: 18 Apr 2021 15:49 by hotseatgames.
The following user(s) said Thank You: themothman421, sornars

More
19 Apr 2021 15:19 #322312 by hotseatgames
Just knocked down the next Decapitation mission, this time against Torgellius the Chamberlain (or something like that). He looks like an undead pirate of sorts.

This was the hardest battle yet; at one point I had two heroes 2 HP away from death. It was a pitched battle that most likely came down to my final dice roll... I needed a crit, and got a crit. A really solid fight. One of the factors making this one hard was the "Plans within Plans" that the boss employs, meaning you don't get Destiny dice, at all.
The following user(s) said Thank You: sornars

More
19 Apr 2021 19:55 #322325 by hotseatgames
I have finished the Ulfenkarn in Peril campaign. I have read the contents of the sealed envelope. Provisions are made to let you keep playing.

I am going to attempt to sell my copy. If anyone here wants an assembled copy, I'll let it go for exactly what I have in it (a whopping $172!) plus shipping.

Think of the time savings!
The following user(s) said Thank You: Gary Sax, sornars

More
19 Apr 2021 20:48 #322327 by hotseatgames
I'd also like to say a couple of things about this game... it is not without its merits. The heroes (at least the 4 I used) are pretty cool with varying levels of usefulness. My party consisted of:

The pointy hat gun guy - the coolest looking hero, but not exactly a heavy hitter. He does get some cool mobility powers later that can come in handy. SUCKS at healing.

Emelda, the leader - She can really kick ass, and has some cool powers that let her manipulate the initiative track and player positioning. She literally saved the wizard's ass numerous times. She earns "inspiration" very poorly.

Big Ogre dude - he is an ass kicker and great at healing. I let him take lumps as much as possible. Earns inspiration easily.

Old weird wizard - his attacks suck, but he gains the ability to curse enemies and can even turn them on each other. He almost always was at death's door. Sucks at healing, but great at manipulating his action dice and destiny dice.

As I said, I'm trying to sell it, but if I can't, it would not be the worst game to have around. It is one of those titles that is easy to get off the shelf and play fairly quickly. You could teach someone to play in minutes, and tuning difficulty is pretty easily done just by making some simple rule changes.
The following user(s) said Thank You: themothman421, mtagge

More
20 Apr 2021 01:56 #322331 by themothman421
Thanks for all of your session reports and thoughts on the game.
The following user(s) said Thank You: hotseatgames

Moderators: Gary Sax
Time to create page: 0.169 seconds