October 09, 2023
2488 0
O
oliverkinne
October 06, 2023
2689 0

Outback Crossing Review

Board Game Reviews
Bugs: Recent Topics Paging, Uploading Images & Preview (11 Dec 2020)

Recent Topics paging, uploading images and preview bugs require a patch which has not yet been released.

× Talk about the latest and greatest AT, and the Classics.

Monster Hunter is getting a board game

More
03 Mar 2021 17:03 #320000 by hotseatgames
gencon.blog/2021/03/03/monster-hunter-world-the-board-game/

Steamforged has the Capcom license and will be kickstarting it in April. The all-in pledge is a whopping $279 and comes with a "mini" that apparently is over 12" tall.

Looking at it all though, it seems to focus on fewer, more impactful miniatures as opposed to legions of lesser ones. I think that is appropriate for Monster Hunter.

I'm a casual fan of the series, and if the game looks good I may jump in, despite the high price. That may be a big IF... I have never found Steamforged's work terribly compelling.
The following user(s) said Thank You: sornars

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

More
03 Mar 2021 17:13 #320001 by Michael Barnes
Fuuuuuuuck this. Steamforged games are -terrible-. Remember the hubbub over Dark Souls? At one point I had an all-in pledge on it, I was so excited about it. But then I sobered up. Finally played it when it came out and it was a -disaster-.

$279, you have got to be joking.

And with that, I will stop pissing on the parade.

More
03 Mar 2021 17:17 #320002 by Gary Sax
I have zero interest in this and the studio doing it makes pretty iffy games.

I will say, however, that this is a series that could make an incredible board game and it would fit pretty seamlessly. Different weapon loadouts. Discrete hunts against monsters with different powers. A slow campaign roll out of power as you craft weapons and make progress on the treadmill.

More
03 Mar 2021 17:41 - 03 Mar 2021 17:43 #320003 by Josh Look
I've toyed with the idea of doing a Monster Hunter-esque game. Much to the chagrin of the folks who just want a big ol box of plastic, the game really should be almost entire card driven. An engine builder, perhaps with some deckbuilding. Anything else is uneccesary to capturing the gameplay loop.

The publisher does by and large suck, but Guild Ball is a fucking JAM.
Last edit: 03 Mar 2021 17:43 by Josh Look.

More
03 Mar 2021 17:47 #320004 by Gary Sax
Yeah, if you primarily concentrate on the grind and equipment upgrade of the game, you could definitely do a pure deck builder. Sort of the Blood Bowl Team Manager approach to the meta-season gameplay of Blood Bowl.

More
03 Mar 2021 17:48 #320006 by Jexik
Doesn’t Kingdom Death: Monster already exist?
The following user(s) said Thank You: Gary Sax

More
04 Mar 2021 09:06 #320018 by charlest
Kingdom Death is amazing, and Steamforge is just disappointing.

The Guild Ball team is gone. The only hope for a Steamforged game is if they somehow get a solid designer who can be entrusted to nail everything on their own. Their only board game which is decent is James Hewitt's Devil May Cry.

Their last release - Horizon Zero Dawn - was pretty awful. Just like Dark Souls and their various other games. Even their small box games are very disappointing, we played their Guild Ball setting social deduction thing a few years ago and it was laughable.
The following user(s) said Thank You: hotseatgames

More
04 Mar 2021 09:11 #320019 by hotseatgames
I had heard that DMC was cool, but it didn't make much of a splash. Did you manage to try it?

I'm very wary of their ability on this one, but I'll evaluate the project for sure. I really hope it can be good.

More
04 Mar 2021 09:46 #320021 by charlest
I have a copy to review at some point, just messed around with it slightly. It's good, probably not mind blowing or great and I can foresee it possibly getting too strategically repetitive, but overall definitely is interesting and unique.

I interviewed James Hewitt for a single pager in Tabletop Gaming Magazine (as a companion to a review of DMC written by another writer) - and he made a brilliant comment: Devil May Cry is basically Tony Hawk with the bad guys being the ramps and ledges you're comboing off of.
The following user(s) said Thank You: Gary Sax, Jexik, hotseatgames, DarthJoJo

More
04 Mar 2021 19:07 #320088 by Robert Facepalmer
Was that about the video game or the board game? For the video game, that is pretty accurate. If they managed to do that in the board game, no wonder everything is warmed-over crap; they used all their inspiration at once.

More
04 Mar 2021 20:15 #320090 by charlest
That was a description of DMC the video game, which they attempted (and I think succeeded at least based ony initial impression), to translate to the board game.
The following user(s) said Thank You: Gary Sax

More
05 Mar 2021 15:06 #320132 by drewcula
For those lamenting the demise of Guild Ball, DreadBall continues to see pitch time.
I'm even more biased than usual, because I was a writer and editor for the new supplement that came out last week. I guess I should write a separate post about that...

Steamforged took a piss on Guild Ball players when they pulled that system's plug. Never again with this company.

More
07 Mar 2021 10:27 #320185 by hotseatgames
They released some details on how the Hunter makes attacks. It sounds good to me so far, AND they even have the concept of sharpening your sword mid-fight!

steamforged.com/blog/hunter-mechanics-mo...ter-world-board-game

More
09 Mar 2021 10:17 #320262 by hotseatgames
Second blog entry. Still liking what I'm seeing.

steamforged.com/blog/great-sword-hunter-mhw-board-game

More
18 Mar 2021 09:32 #320795 by hotseatgames
A blog entry talking about how monsters work: steamforged.com/blog/monster-mechanics-mhw-board-game

I like how you can gradually learn how monsters will react (I think this is from the Dark Souls game), and how it has a variable number of hero turns each round, AND how all heroes have to act before a hero can go twice, which gets around the alpha player issue.

Moderators: Gary Sax
Time to create page: 0.213 seconds