October 09, 2023
2504 0
O
oliverkinne
October 06, 2023
2703 0

Outback Crossing Review

Board Game Reviews
Bugs: Recent Topics Paging, Uploading Images & Preview (11 Dec 2020)

Recent Topics paging, uploading images and preview bugs require a patch which has not yet been released.

× Talk about the latest and greatest AT, and the Classics.

Either a measure of how out of the loop I am or the constant torrent

More
20 Mar 2021 11:39 #320928 by Msample
Another symptom of the deluge is that I’ll see pictures of huge piles of games for sale on Facebook, and most and in some cases all of them are stuff I’ve never even heard of.
The following user(s) said Thank You: ubarose, Gary Sax

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

More
20 Mar 2021 11:49 #320929 by Michael Barnes

Gary Sax wrote: There's also good stuff you haven't played, but that's OK too.

Absolutely true! I never played Nusfjord and I love it. Always a delight to find something good you missed.
The following user(s) said Thank You: ubarose, Gary Sax

More
20 Mar 2021 13:31 #320931 by ubarose

Gary Sax wrote: There's also good stuff you haven't played, but that's OK too.

Last year someone was “pruning” their game collection and donated probably over a 100 games to the library. Francie, my friend and neighbor, manages the collection, so all the games were delivered to her house. I helped her sort through them. I recognized most of them. The majority were fairly recently published, and very few were what would be considered “bad” games. Most I had never played. Since only a limited number of them could be added to the collection due to space limitations, the ones most likely to circulate were moved to the library. The rest remained at Francie’s for months as she sold them (money going to library of course).

So for months we could play any of these games. And we played maybe a half dozen of them. Maybe less. We were like:

“Yeah, I heard this one is pretty good. Should we try it?”
“Nah. Let’s play [game we own that is very good].”

So pretty good, or might be good, just doesn’t even interest me any more, when there are sooooo many very good games.
The following user(s) said Thank You: Gary Sax, allismom3, Msample, Frohike, sornars, DarthJoJo

More
20 Mar 2021 14:13 #320932 by Gary Sax
The weirdest thing is that there's one game in there that you don't know about that everyone else thinks is average that is going to personally blow your mind. But finding that one is really difficult; requires reviewers or influencers you really trust, who see a lot of games.
The following user(s) said Thank You: ubarose, Frohike

More
20 Mar 2021 15:14 #320933 by jason10mm
This is the point where i hug my power grid box and the box of all the expansion maps, whisper "my precious, my precious" and hiss at anyone approaching with a newer game :)
The following user(s) said Thank You: ubarose, southernman, Frohike

More
20 Mar 2021 22:57 #320945 by Frohike
That's sort of become Zee's schtick over the years: championing games no one has heard of. He does hold onto some oddball Euro stuff but more often than not it's titles that were forgotten because they just never... stood out, and usually for good reason.
The following user(s) said Thank You: ubarose

More
20 Mar 2021 23:04 - 21 Mar 2021 14:18 #320946 by ubarose

Gary Sax wrote: The weirdest thing is that there's one game in there that you don't know about that everyone else thinks is average that is going to personally blow your mind. But finding that one is really difficult; requires reviewers or influencers you really trust, who see a lot of games.

The the thing that blew my mind was being in a room with 4 other board gamers, literally knee deep in games, like at least $4000 worth, and there was nothing anyone was interested in playing. That just wouldn’t have happened 10 years ago.

If Zee’s schtick is games that never stood out for good reason, it seems he has plenty to choose from these days.
Last edit: 21 Mar 2021 14:18 by ubarose.
The following user(s) said Thank You: Gary Sax, allismom3, Jackwraith, birdman37

More
21 Mar 2021 02:54 #320962 by n815e
I remember hearing that there are something like 3000 new games published every year now.

That’s just insane.

How is anyone supposed to keep up? Who is even playing them?

I think you could actually have an amazing game that gets lost in a sea of mediocrity.

For any games to get noticed now you need to promote the heck out of them.
The following user(s) said Thank You: Jackwraith

More
21 Mar 2021 13:06 - 21 Mar 2021 13:09 #320983 by ChristopherMD
I find the trick to keeping up with the best releases it to see what people are talking about on TWBG. Folks around here have pretty diverse tastes and are willing to deep dive into the hobby to find games that match those tastes. No need for any one person to keep up with the thousands of releases every year. Someone here will suddenly post about a new awesome horror-themed sports game, or a heavy wargame about ducks, or a take-that game set in a courtroom drama, or that the latest FFG release is a gimmick not worth anyones time, or they're p500ing a COIN game about Ireland, and so on. So I believe Jackwraith is in the loop because if any of those games in the video were worthwhile to him then he'd have heard of them. Or maybe what I'm saying is it's okay to be out of the loop on the hobby as it won't stop you from finding games you'll enjoy.
Last edit: 21 Mar 2021 13:09 by ChristopherMD.
The following user(s) said Thank You: ubarose, Jackwraith, n815e

More
21 Mar 2021 13:18 #320984 by charlest
No one's in the loop if the requirement is to be all knowing and play everything. Professional reviewers like Tom Vasel don't even play everything, as the majority of Dice Tower reviews are coming from other people now.

Why are people even worried about keeping up? Find stuff you enjoy and don't sweat it.

One of my favorite things is discovering some obscure game no one is talking about. Like the first time I came across Shadows of Malice and was immediately smitten. Stuff like that is out there more than ever.
The following user(s) said Thank You: ubarose, southernman, hotseatgames, n815e

More
21 Mar 2021 13:57 #320985 by Jackwraith
Yeah, I'm not particularly worried about keeping up. I just found it kind of remarkable that he could list 10 games that were apparently so established/popular that he felt like they needed expansions and I'd only heard of two of them.
The following user(s) said Thank You: ubarose, n815e

More
21 Mar 2021 14:16 - 21 Mar 2021 14:20 #320986 by ubarose
The last statistic I have is that approximately 5000 games were published in 2019, with estimates for 2020 being around 5500.

I feel some responsibility to sort of be aware, as I cull through all the game release email I get and choose what to post as news. I’m sure I miss a lot, as well as post news on duds, but I don’t have much info to go on, and I receive so many that it’s like, swipe left, swipe left, swipe left, oh, that one looks like it might ... wait, nope, swipe left. I don’t feel like I’m swimming in a sea of mediocrity; I feel like I am drowning in one.
Last edit: 21 Mar 2021 14:20 by ubarose.
The following user(s) said Thank You: Gary Sax, Jackwraith, n815e

More
21 Mar 2021 14:42 #320987 by jason10mm
So is a desire for an expansion a hallmark of a great game (which should feel totally complete, hence why it is a great game), a good game (that you had fun with and would like a little more) or a mediocre/poor one that could be 'fixed' with an expansion?

Kinda like movie remakes. I don't want a remake of "Big Trouble in Little China", that movie is perfect as it is, I want a remake of "Last Action Hero" because i feel like there was a really good idea in there that just needs a bit more polish. So should game expansions be used to fix somewhat broken games or can a game be considered great if it can accommodate more stuff?
The following user(s) said Thank You: Jackwraith, Frohike, sornars, mtagge, n815e

More
21 Mar 2021 16:26 #320991 by Jackwraith
Those are really great questions. On top of that, what about games that technically had expansions early on, like Root, but which were made up of content that was intended to be part of the game but got split to an expansion because of cost issues?

I think some of it comes down to game genre, to an extent. Most "Euro" games don't need expansions because their design is basically already complete. No one would bother making an expansion to Tigris and Euphrates. Indeed, Knizia instead decided to simply make a new game in Yellow and Yangtze. T&E is a great game and didn't need expansions. OTOH, I think TI3 was either borderline or actually a great game and desperately needed the first expansion to fix an obvious design flaw (e.g. everyone picked Imperial and Initiative in perfect order around the table.) Was it still a great game with that flaw? Probably. I think "Ameritrash"-style games (those that strive to tell a story) benefit from expansions in order to increase the variability of those stories, whereas "Euro" games often don't. But I would've been happy to own Rising Sun without either of the expansions or the KS stuff because I think it's a great game with enough variety already. But would I be as excited about Cthulhu Wars with only the initial four factions...? Probably not.
The following user(s) said Thank You: southernman, jason10mm, n815e

More
21 Mar 2021 23:31 #321001 by ubarose
Games need an expansion when the illusion of choice wears off. When you know what the best choice is, there really is no choice. That can happen for many different reasons when you play a game enough times. It happens sooner with games where you play against the game as much, or more than you play against your opponents.
The following user(s) said Thank You: Sagrilarus, jason10mm, mc

Moderators: Gary Sax
Time to create page: 0.183 seconds