October 09, 2023
2291 0
O
oliverkinne
October 06, 2023
2510 0

Outback Crossing Review

Board Game Reviews
Bugs: Recent Topics Paging, Uploading Images & Preview (11 Dec 2020)

Recent Topics paging, uploading images and preview bugs require a patch which has not yet been released.

× Talk about the latest and greatest AT, and the Classics.

OUTER RIM: What kind of expansion(s) would make sense with this game?

More
23 Mar 2021 05:53 #321059 by JasonRoy
Love this game, but with FFG more or less kaput (at least, I think it is), and Outer Rim unlikely to ever see an expansion, I was wondering what a good expansion would do, and how it would work in to the game that already is.

This game is great, but I'd like to play it more...I just don't want to run out of things to do. Because it has a set number of missions/quests, if you play it too often, you could get to where you know everything about it. So I was thinking of "what if" expansions.

I was looking at it, and even adding a few extra characters could seriously throw the game out of whack, not just balance-wise, but total playability-wise. So many things lean on other things, so many missions and ship types have elements contingent on rules that are perfectly balanced. If you were to suddenly add more stuff, it could make it so that things are thrown out of whack.

For instance, adding more NPCs means adding more bounties (since any character you can track down for a bounty can ALSO be made a part of your crew). And all of those NPCs (like Chewie and C-3PO) have their own tokens, which you place around the board and they can be hunted down. So where would you put any new characters' tokens?

Also, many mission cards hinge on FINDING said NPC tokens hiding around the galaxy.

So what sort of expansions would make this game better?
The following user(s) said Thank You: n815e

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

More
23 Mar 2021 08:42 #321060 by Michael Barnes
Short answer is “none” because it feels complete and contained. I’m not really fussed about wearing out what’s there- it’s really quite a lot of content.

However, what I would rather see is Outer Rim: The Mandalorian.
Completely separate game with new locations, characters, and jobs based around the show. Mando, Boba, Bo Katan, The Marshall, etc. I’d also like to see it as a smaller, more concise game - more of an hour long thing as the scope is smaller.. Of course some kind of mechanisms for The Child.
The following user(s) said Thank You: jeb, Msample, jason10mm, n815e

More
23 Mar 2021 09:16 #321061 by Sagrilarus
I'm always wary of expansions, because they generally get made for games that don't need them. Is Outer Rim a game that has scenarios? Those sorts of expansions don't seem to be as hazardous.

More
23 Mar 2021 09:27 #321062 by jason10mm

Michael Barnes wrote: Short answer is “none” because it feels complete and contained. I’m not really fussed about wearing out what’s there- it’s really quite a lot of content.

However, what I would rather see is Outer Rim: The Mandalorian.
Completely separate game with new locations, characters, and jobs based around the show. Mando, Boba, Bo Katan, The Marshall, etc. I’d also like to see it as a smaller, more concise game - more of an hour long thing as the scope is smaller.. Of course some kind of mechanisms for The Child.

Heh heh, Cara Dune tokens are already going for $1000 on ebay :p

More
23 Mar 2021 10:00 #321065 by mezike
Another bot post?

www.reddit.com/r/boardgames/comments/mb8...pansions_would_make/

In any case I agree with Michael, it doesn't need anything when it already works so well.

More
23 Mar 2021 10:13 #321066 by ubarose
I'll give JasonRoy the benefit of the doubt for 24hours. Could be they're human and just posted the same thing there and here. If they don't comment here or answer my DM by tomorrow, we'll block them.

More
23 Mar 2021 14:14 - 23 Mar 2021 14:16 #321089 by Msample
Last summer during an FFG Live vidstream they made some vague references to more content for the game being in the works - but that was before the FFG payroll got gutted, so who knows if it will ever happen.

There are pics on BGG of some Barnes and Noble locations selling the game for $20 on clearance. I have a feeling once it sells out, it will go the way of CitOW and become somewhat of a grail.

I agree with Michael that a standalone Mandalorian game would make more sense than an expansion - maybe two player ( Gideo vs Mando ) vs multiplayer ?
Last edit: 23 Mar 2021 14:16 by Msample.
The following user(s) said Thank You: ubarose, n815e

More
23 Mar 2021 15:04 #321093 by Jackwraith

mezike wrote: In any case I agree with Michael, it doesn't need anything when it already works so well.

In that respect, do you and others think similar PU&D games gained anything from their expansions? Most speak fairly highly of Merchants & Marauders single expansion. Did Firefly's expansions add to the experience or are they just unnecessary bloat? I found myself enjoying some of the variety in them, but I have to admit that some of it was just more detail and we've never really had the chance to "wear out" what came in the main box.

More
23 Mar 2021 16:09 #321095 by ubarose
I won't play FF without the all three boards anymore. They add high risk/high reward jobs that also require more turns to get to. I like having to weigh doing a few low/risk low reward quick jobs vs a high risk/high reward long haul job. The expansions also made warrants, Reapers, running out of gas, and running out of parts more of a threat.
The following user(s) said Thank You: southernman, Gary Sax, allismom3, Msample, Jackwraith, n815e

More
23 Mar 2021 16:09 - 23 Mar 2021 16:11 #321096 by ChristopherMD

Jackwraith wrote:

mezike wrote: In any case I agree with Michael, it doesn't need anything when it already works so well.

In that respect, do you and others think similar PU&D games gained anything from their expansions? Most speak fairly highly of Merchants & Marauders single expansion. Did Firefly's expansions add to the experience or are they just unnecessary bloat? I found myself enjoying some of the variety in them, but I have to admit that some of it was just more detail and we've never really had the chance to "wear out" what came in the main box.

M&M expansion is actually several small expansions. I imagine its stuff that got left out of the original release for streamlining but as a fan I'm cool with mild bloat to have those options included.

Firefly the expansions are a mixed bag. I could probably write a whole article on them so I don't really want to break them down here. There is some bloat and there is some necessities, like buying replacement cargo/contraband, but most of it is just more of the same type of stuff you find in the base game with maybe some tweaks.

Never played Outer Rim so no opinion there.
Last edit: 23 Mar 2021 16:11 by ChristopherMD.
The following user(s) said Thank You: jpat, Jackwraith, n815e

More
23 Mar 2021 16:55 #321104 by jpat
Plus some of what the Firefly expansions added has, I suppose partly with the benefit of hindsight and a certain mercenary disposition, been included in Outer Rim to start with.

*Will* people run out of stuff to do with OR, and/or will it become highly repetitive? IDK. I'm increasingly skeptical of that sort of thinking given that probably most "hobbyist" people, including me, play more widely than deeply.
The following user(s) said Thank You: Jackwraith, n815e

More
23 Mar 2021 17:01 #321107 by Msample

ubarose wrote: I won't play FF without the all three boards anymore. They add high risk/high reward jobs that also require more turns to get to. I like having to weigh doing a few low/risk low reward quick jobs vs a high risk/high reward long haul job. The expansions also made warrants, Reapers, running out of gas, and running out of parts more of a threat.

They also turn a game that already had a big footprint into an utter table hog .

More
23 Mar 2021 17:43 #321109 by southernman

Msample wrote:

ubarose wrote: I won't play FF without the all three boards anymore. They add high risk/high reward jobs that also require more turns to get to. I like having to weigh doing a few low/risk low reward quick jobs vs a high risk/high reward long haul job. The expansions also made warrants, Reapers, running out of gas, and running out of parts more of a threat.

They also turn a game that already had a big footprint into an utter table hog .

One person's table hog is a lot of others nirvana :cheer: :laugh:
The following user(s) said Thank You: Gary Sax, ChristopherMD, jason10mm, n815e

More
23 Mar 2021 19:09 #321113 by Sagrilarus

Msample wrote:

You pay by the foot?

My bigger issue with expansions is the size of the cognitive space. Firefly expansions largely increase card counts and locations without adding much complexity. For other games the additional rules don’t increase the value as much for me.

Leaving Earth has a couple of expansions that I’ve been avoiding because I enjoy the base game still. Each of the expansions increases rule size. But, like as always, someone in my group has purchased the entire set so I’m pulled into the complexity whether I’m interested in it or not. The good news — he bought from the publisher who typically takes six months to deliver.

More
23 Mar 2021 22:38 #321120 by san il defanso
Outer Rim is a more contained systems than other PU&D games, and it's actually is a pretty efficient design. By that I mean that everything feels pretty unified and well-integrated. It doesn't have a lot of weird systems bolted on like the combat in M&M, and it doesn't have a really open ended spot where a lot of other content could be added without janking up the game. Also, the long corridor of paths makes it actually pretty unambiguous what the most efficient route is. This is not a game of trade-loops like Merchant of Venus. It's really more about the interactions of different NPCs, destinations, and jobs. I actually think it does really well for a board game about NPCs, in giving you a number of different ways you can interact with them.

All that to say Outer Rim would be very easy to screw up with "extra content." I think the best move would be a couple of new pilots to throw into the mix, and maybe some new stuff for the market decks. If you want to tinker with jobs or NPCs, that means tinkering with the encounter deck, and that could present alot of other issues. I actually think you could create a whole new "scenario," like a Mandalorian deck with NPCs from the show, an alternate list of jobs and bounties, and new paragraph cards to go with them. But keep the board as it is, and don't get too fancy with it. This would be an easy game to mess up with new subsystems or new rules.
The following user(s) said Thank You: ubarose, Gary Sax, SebastianBludd, mezike

Moderators: Gary Sax
Time to create page: 0.191 seconds