October 09, 2023
2446 0
O
oliverkinne
October 06, 2023
2645 0

Outback Crossing Review

Board Game Reviews
Bugs: Recent Topics Paging, Uploading Images & Preview (11 Dec 2020)

Recent Topics paging, uploading images and preview bugs require a patch which has not yet been released.

× Talk about the latest and greatest AT, and the Classics.

Let's Talk: Game Trilogies (not those ones)

More
16 Jul 2021 22:01 #324736 by ChristopherMD
Or lack thereof. We're all familiar with movie trilogies where each film stands on its own while also being part of a greater story. In gaming we have labelled things as trilogies like Knizias' Tile-Laying Trilogy but that's not what I mean. However, Knizia did do two Hobbit games based on the first two movies and was originally supposed to make a trilogy of it to match the movies but they sucked so it didn't happen. I recall reading the game Sol is the first in an intended trilogy that would end with settling a new star system. I think there is three Pandmic Legacy games now but I don't know how connected they are beyond the pandemic gameplay. Have we had any game trilogies that had a through line?

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

More
16 Jul 2021 22:17 #324737 by Shellhead
A Game of Thrones, 2nd edition, if we are counting expansions.

The original Mechanoid Invasion, if we are counting rpgs.

More
16 Jul 2021 22:32 #324738 by Sagrilarus
Tikal, Mexica and . . . Java I think?
The following user(s) said Thank You: RobertB, Msample, Gregarius

More
16 Jul 2021 22:41 #324739 by ChristopherMD
I would say expansions aren't different games unless they're stand-alone. Like Quest for El Dorado: The Golden Temple stand-alone expansion is a continuation of Quest for El Dorado. If he makes another it would be a trilogy.

More
16 Jul 2021 23:18 #324740 by Jackwraith
Eric Lang's mythical series was intended to be a trilogy:
Blood Rage
Rising Sun
Ankh: Gods of Egypt

More
16 Jul 2021 23:59 #324742 by sornars
Cole Wehrle’s games of An Infamous Traffic, Pax Pamir and John Company are kind of a trilogy with the British East India Company (and Empire in general) being the through line. Historical games might be cheating.
The following user(s) said Thank You: Gary Sax, mezike

More
17 Jul 2021 00:38 #324744 by hotseatgames
It's just not like film. I don't know what point there would be to calling something a trilogy. It would certainly have to be thematic, but the length of time is so long in between...

More
17 Jul 2021 03:43 #324745 by Nodens
Cyclades, Kemet and Inis were called a trilogy for a while. It always bothered me because they were part of a line starting with a game called Giants.
The following user(s) said Thank You: n815e

More
17 Jul 2021 09:57 - 17 Jul 2021 09:59 #324749 by mezike
The Bios line of Genesis, Megafauna and Origins fit the bill.

Ryan Laukats games are all kinda sorta linked I believe.

What about Time Stories? I didn’t play it much but the ones I did try all seemed to be trying to build into each other in some way.

What about the cycle packs in Arkham LCG? You can technically play them alone but they only really make sense in order.
Last edit: 17 Jul 2021 09:59 by mezike.
The following user(s) said Thank You: sornars, Nodens

More
17 Jul 2021 10:18 #324750 by jason10mm
What makes a series of games a "trilogy"? Are they linked by theme, mechanics, or just the designer? For film there are usually plot elements linking a trilogy even if the actors/directors are all different.
The following user(s) said Thank You: mezike, sornars

More
17 Jul 2021 11:21 #324755 by Jackwraith
I don't think that a nailed-on progression was intended in any of these examples. Lang might come closest, since he stated for a number of years that he had designs in mind that were oriented around different mythological settings. But I don't think the Matagot people were intent on creating the "trilogy" of Inis, Kemet, and Cyclades. It just worked out that way. Similarly, I think Cole Wehrle's designs are colored by his PhD in history with a focus on the East India Company. Pax Pamir doesn't really have anything to do with the EIC, but it's still about the British Empire mucking about in central Asia, so it kinda follows.

Maybe the West Kingdom series was planned to be that way?
The following user(s) said Thank You: ChristopherMD

More
17 Jul 2021 16:59 #324759 by Greg Aleknevicus
I don't recall if it was ever named, but "Teuber's Trilogy" consists of Entdecker (the exploration of a new land), Settlers of Catan (the settling of said land), and Lowenherz, (the conflict that arises once the lands are settled). I believe that Mik Svellov claimed that all three derived from a larger "master game", but I don't believe that myself.
The following user(s) said Thank You: ChristopherMD, mezike, sornars, Gregarius, Nodens, DarthJoJo

More
17 Jul 2021 17:43 #324760 by Nodens

Greg Aleknevicus wrote: I believe that Mik Svellov claimed that all three derived from a larger "master game", but I don't believe that myself.

I remember reading a similar thing somewhere about Jim Krohn. Space Empires 4x and Talon are supposedly parts taken out of a really large game. Although this would be a trilogy only if completed with a game about scifi ground combat...
The following user(s) said Thank You: mezike, sornars

More
17 Jul 2021 19:54 #324762 by mc

mezike wrote: The Bios line of Genesis, Megafauna and Origins fit the bill.

There are rules that let you play them back to back, taking your stuff forward into the next one, to a certain extent aren't there?

More
17 Jul 2021 21:41 #324763 by Gregarius
Forbidden Island
Forbidden Desert
Forbidden Stars (obviously "Planet" was taken)

I'm not sure if "trilogy" really works for board games, since there's rarely a continued story. Of course, Kieslowski's Red, White, and Blue trilogy doesn't have a continued story either.

Aren't there three Azul games now, too?
Power Grid, PG: Factory Manager, and PG: The First Sparks?
I don't remember them all, but didn't Rosenberg do a trilogy of Agricola games, too?

Moderators: Gary Sax
Time to create page: 0.175 seconds