October 09, 2023
2455 0
O
oliverkinne
October 06, 2023
2657 0

Outback Crossing Review

Board Game Reviews
Bugs: Recent Topics Paging, Uploading Images & Preview (11 Dec 2020)

Recent Topics paging, uploading images and preview bugs require a patch which has not yet been released.

× Talk about the latest and greatest AT, and the Classics.

Descent definitely totally not 3.0

More
12 Aug 2021 09:51 #325479 by Michael Barnes
Not yet, I don’t know if something like that unlocks or not. I hope there is though because if it’s just the campaign then that is a definite con. I can’t imagine they wouldn’t add a random mode like the delves from 2e.

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

More
12 Aug 2021 09:52 #325480 by jason10mm
So the app is (semi?) cinematic with voice overs and sound effects? Are characters voiced or just a narrator?

If FFG isn't contracting with Critical Role or some other popular streaming group to do a licensed campaign they are leaving money on the table! "Matt Mercer is your overlord!" is all the tag line you need.

More
12 Aug 2021 10:08 - 12 Aug 2021 10:11 #325483 by Sagrilarus

Michael Barnes wrote: Not yet, I don’t know if something like that unlocks or not. I hope there is though because if it’s just the campaign then that is a definite con. I can’t imagine they wouldn’t add a random mode like the delves from 2e.

Seems to me with the app that new scenarios (onesies or long-form) could be offered whenever FFG finishes them, would make a nice add-on revenue stream if they sold them in-app. That's part of the appeal of this hybrid product approach.
Last edit: 12 Aug 2021 10:11 by Sagrilarus.

More
12 Aug 2021 10:21 #325487 by Matt Thrower

panzerattack wrote: I've found the whining and review bombing of Descent silly and juvenile but I haven't seen anyone complaining about the diversity or non-sexist representation - it all seems to be about the app, about the art style, about the fact that it's a massive departure from the previous Descent games. Trying to make out that it's really all about representation seems to be making a big leap of logic. I dunno, maybe I've missed stuff, it's not like I've been avidly following the shit storm.

So I was confused by this at first, too. I mean, I get that some people don't like the app or that they want an overlord but mass review bombing? Really? At that sort of scale?

The fact that it seems to be an incredible overreaction itself suggests there's something else at play here. And sure enough, when I checked some of the BGG comments, you begin to see the danger signs, mentions of "deliberately implemented ideologies" and "heroes that don't look like heroes". And a lot of the complaints focus on the art, which just seems a weird reason to storm in and rate a game a one.

Unless, of course, your complaint is that heroes aren't supposed to be black. Or women with their tits covered. Or that women aren't supposed to design high-profile board games.

Don't forget most of these people aren't stupid. They know that if they come right out with some hateful shit or other, they'll be ignored and their comments will be deleted. Far better to try and make it look like there's some kind of legitimate complaint to drive down a game whose politics they dislike.

Of course, you're right to flag up that we don't know where the hate ends and legitimate concerns over the high price and app reliance start. I'm absolutely certain there's some genuine grievance like there was over Mansions of Madness 2nd edition. But at the same time, you can't pretend that identity politics isn't at least a factor here.
The following user(s) said Thank You: ubarose, mads b., allismom3, jay718, Sagrilarus, panzerattack

More
12 Aug 2021 10:33 #325488 by charlest
There's a lot going on with this game and it's complicated. The backlash doesn't surprise me at all.

Beyond the racism and sexism, change in general upsets people. That change is reflected from the outside through the artwork is a turn off for those people.

The price is the biggest issue in my opinion. People that may have wanted it or been on the edge are pushed away by the huge price tag, so they're looking for reasons for it to suck.

I can identify with that as I was hoping it wasn't great because I didn't want to be dragged into spending $140.

Then there's people that are anti-app or simply uncomfortable with games going this way.

Finally, it has all the baggage of Descent. It also coincides with them announcing that Descent 2.0 was being abandoned.

I can't imagine this release ever happening without a massive war.
The following user(s) said Thank You: Michael Barnes, Shellhead, panzerattack, Varys, n815e

More
12 Aug 2021 13:00 #325500 by Michael Barnes
LOL but if you got those preorder bonuses from a discount source and sold them on eBay then the game comes to $39.99!

I knew as soon as I saw the art that the white boys were coming…and knowing how Dragonholt really pushed diversity and representation in Terrinoth… and lo, I have seen “go woke, go broke” in discussion about it. But it is all couched in plausible deniability, like the dude on BGG that made an account just to ask questions (as they do) about whether or not the female, dark skinned dwarf was the “worst dwarf ever”.

More
12 Aug 2021 13:20 - 12 Aug 2021 14:13 #325503 by Space Ghost
I should have sold the preorder bonus (my game store gave them out if you bought from them)....maybe I still will.

The Dragonholt tie-ins are one of the best parts -- finally giving some life to Terrinoth.
Last edit: 12 Aug 2021 14:13 by Space Ghost.

More
12 Aug 2021 13:25 #325506 by Michael Barnes
I think this is the first time where I’ve felt like Terrinoth is legit…it doesn’t feel like an also-ran, D-list setting. The art is part of that. It has a unique look and tone that it never really has before. There’s a flyer for the RPG book and just the fact that it has “Terrinoth” in a unique, hand-drawn typeset makes it look like something is actually be interested in.

More
12 Aug 2021 13:31 #325507 by Space Ghost
I didn't even realize that Dragonholt was part of Terrinoth until the hybrid showed up and the Hyrrinx (?) (cat-people) were included. I thought Dragonholt was one of FFG best games in recent years, so I was pleasantly surprised when we went through the intro last night.

It adds so much flavor -- makes the world feel so more "real". On top of that, I thought the villian was written better.

The potential for this is really big.
The following user(s) said Thank You: Gary Sax

More
12 Aug 2021 13:57 #325508 by Space Ghost
Additionally, I think that any legitimate gameplay complaints can likely be addressed in either updates to the app or slight changes in future expansions. I thought they did a really good job on separating what the app handles and what the player handles -- I think health could have potentially been handled by the app (but maybe they tried it and found it was a pain given that there are out of combat damages that happen).

The game is still Descent through and through -- just updated to be better than what we had before. I can't think of a dungeon crawl that I haven't played, and this is the first time in a loooong time that I felt that something new was going on. I am actually looking forward to the next campaign chapter next week -- the first took us 2 hours, should we expect the second to be the same?

My friend who has been playing games with me since the 90s thought that it was great and the app integrated seamlessly (he is completely disconnected from the online gaming community -- so this is probably how most of the world will see this). We played through Tainted Grail, and he thought this might be better. I think the quality of writing in Tainted Grail was better, but (early on) I think this might build tension better. Also, a bit refreshing when compared keeping track of Menhirs and inventory/status in Tainted Grail.
The following user(s) said Thank You: mads b., Gary Sax

More
12 Aug 2021 14:47 #325510 by Kmann

jpat wrote: The thing that immediately stuck out to me was his positioning himself as not really understanding the anticipatory backlash against the game when he himself helped stoke that at least twice.

I believe this is a fairly common move that's lifted straight out of the shithead playbook.
The following user(s) said Thank You: ChristopherMD, Sagrilarus, Nodens

More
12 Aug 2021 16:43 - 12 Aug 2021 16:44 #325518 by El Cuajinais
As the Descent 3.0 videos continue to trickle into Youtube every few hours I’m still left wondering…

What’s in the box?

Or better yet, I’d love to see some random person’s reaction video to a Decent 3.0 unboxing video. :P

With such an obvious lack of content from creators (FFG is to blame) and so many polarized opinions on both sides, I think we may be setup to witness the first boardgame burning video. Will Descent 3.0 be the first ever boardgame to be lit on fire for a video? Is there a Frosthaven hydraulic press video in our future? That’s when we’ll know that boardgames hit the main stream. When we see the first destruction video by some nerd that wants attention.

Sorry for the ramble, I just want to listen to a good discussion on the game in the background while I work but there is not much out there.
Last edit: 12 Aug 2021 16:44 by El Cuajinais.

More
12 Aug 2021 16:47 #325519 by ChristopherMD
I don't recall which game but I'm certain I've seen a burning video years ago.

More
12 Aug 2021 16:52 #325520 by Kmann
Tom Vassal burnt, I think, Monopoly. Pretty sure he also threw one off a roof? Something like that. It was a bit he did occasionally back in the 00s.

More
12 Aug 2021 16:53 #325521 by n815e

Kmann wrote: Tom Vassal burnt, I think, Monopoly. Pretty sure he also threw one off a roof? Something like that. It was a bit he did occasionally back in the 00s.

Ah, impetuous youth.

Moderators: Gary Sax
Time to create page: 0.451 seconds