October 09, 2023
2476 0
O
oliverkinne
October 06, 2023
2681 0

Outback Crossing Review

Board Game Reviews
Bugs: Recent Topics Paging, Uploading Images & Preview (11 Dec 2020)

Recent Topics paging, uploading images and preview bugs require a patch which has not yet been released.

× Talk about the latest and greatest AT, and the Classics.

Necromolds

More
27 Aug 2021 11:16 - 27 Aug 2021 11:17 #326063 by Ah_Pook
Necromolds was created by Ah_Pook
I saw this yesterday at my FLGS. Presumably they had backed it on Kickstarter, as it doesn't look like it's hit retail (yet? Dunno what the plan is there). Anyway, this thing caught my eye hard. Basically it looks like a light skirmish game in the same vein as a Funkoverse or whatever, BUT. You use molds to make your units out of a Play-Doh like substance, and when you kill an enemy unit you use your Caster Ring to smash it and leave it as a pile of mush on the battlefield with your faction's emblem imprinted in them. The molds are little spellbooks so thematically you're using them to summon the monsters you mold in them. The game looks fine (?), but man the toy factor is OFF THE CHARTS. I would have gone apeshit for this thing if it had come out when I was like 12. Plus i love the art. So anyway, I had never even heard the name before yesterday, and figured I'd mention it here. Anyone out there back this thing? Thoughts?

Last edit: 27 Aug 2021 11:17 by Ah_Pook.
The following user(s) said Thank You: Sagrilarus, sornars, DarthJoJo, n815e, Kmann

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

More
27 Aug 2021 11:21 #326064 by hotseatgames
Replied by hotseatgames on topic Necromolds
I remember seeing it on KS back whenever. A very novel idea that didn't fit my demographic.

More
27 Aug 2021 11:36 - 27 Aug 2021 11:40 #326065 by Sagrilarus
Replied by Sagrilarus on topic Necromolds
There was a pulp Incredible Hulk game 15 years back where you molded cars for Hulk to smash, and my 3yos and 6yo loved it. Me too. There's something cathartic about getting to smash your opponents' pieces.

The ring imprint in the middle? Man, that is thick, thick icing on the cake. Great to see smash-them best practices advancing.
Last edit: 27 Aug 2021 11:40 by Sagrilarus.
The following user(s) said Thank You: Rliyen

More
29 Aug 2021 16:54 #326091 by jason10mm
Replied by jason10mm on topic Necromolds
All playdoh in my house quickly becomes Grey-doh as it gets mixed together. This has better have a solo option :p

More
11 Sep 2021 10:28 #326432 by Ah_Pook
Replied by Ah_Pook on topic Necromolds
i showed this to a friend and they got excited and bought all of it to play with their kids, which is the best possible outcome for me since now i can play it a few times ;) will report back once i get my hands on it. im expecting his kids to go apeshit for it if nothing else.
The following user(s) said Thank You: hotseatgames, sornars

More
25 Oct 2021 05:48 #327403 by Ah_Pook
Replied by Ah_Pook on topic Necromolds
Haven't actually played this yet, but I did play with the molds and look over it a little. The coolest thing rules wise is that your cup of Play-Doh is your army point limit, and more powerful units take more clay to make. I love that.

So far my friends has only played a mostly made up version of this with his kids, where it's coop them vs him as the big boss. By all accounts his kids were over the moon with it so that's a win.

More
25 Oct 2021 22:44 #327432 by jason10mm
Looks like this is $50 for the base game and $20x4 for the dual spellbook expansion sets (plus some "mystery ring" collectible nonsense). $130 all in plus some for shipping. This is teeeempting. I get the clay smashing is fun, but is the GAME any good?
The following user(s) said Thank You: olsonjj25

More
02 Nov 2021 12:05 #327650 by Virabhadra
Replied by Virabhadra on topic Necromolds
This one struck me right in my 90's childhood. I ended up going all in on it (and getting one of the last remaining Kickstarter slip covers, hooray!) and it's surprisingly robust. The default game mode is a brutal melee, but the suggested rules for Magic and the potential for scenario play could give this one legs.

Sculpting an army takes a little less than ten minutes. M girlfriend and I found we only needed a little bit of practice to mold our dudes well with the Spellbooks. The Spellbooks actually come apart, so they're incredibly easy to keep clean. Every part of the production was thought through extremely well and the production quality is nuts.

The Caster rings are collectible for the sake of being collectible. There are something like 20 designs in grey plastic and glow-in-the-dark version, and every expansion comes with one. People trade them on the official Discord, but they have no effect on gameplay.

Also, I'm just gonna say it: the Mud Mumps are kind of adorable.

I'm amazed nobody has done this before.
The following user(s) said Thank You: jason10mm, hotseatgames, sornars, DarthJoJo, Ah_Pook, Kmann

More
04 Nov 2021 07:22 #327706 by jason10mm
I went all in as well, haven't gotten it yet though. Glad to hear it wasn't a futile impulse buy.

More
04 Nov 2021 23:23 #327712 by jason10mm
So I got my copy. WOW, no kidding about the toy factor. The kids were shoveling neon playdoh into those molds within seconds!

Lots of nice detail on those molds, though I have trouble getting some out, I think there is some temperature control issues to make sure the putty pulls clear, maybe a little lube or spray release agent. I like how they have a pic of the creature on the spine so you can put them in a little bookcase. There will DEFINITLEY be a nice foam storage solution for this game as I've already chucked their insert and packed all the spell books, jars of doh, and dice in the main box.

I'm gonna start selling what I call "NECRO-PICKS!!!!" which are totally not just regular tooth picks painted black and purple to clean out the corners of the molds of every little bit of magic goo.
The following user(s) said Thank You: hotseatgames

More
05 Nov 2021 02:11 - 05 Nov 2021 02:14 #327714 by Virabhadra
I get the best results by:

1) Not closing the Spellbook too tight! My first game, I was absolutely crushing the dough into the molds and they got "stuck" a lot.

2) Once you close it, opening the Spellbook as quickly as possible. Like, pop it open. I don't know why, but this seems to help too.

It took me a minute to figure out that the green pieces actually pop out of the Spellbooks (some more easily than others.) It's so much easier to clean than using a... necro-pick... to dig bits of dough out of the clips that keep the Spellbooks shut.

What rings did you get?? I thought the illustrated checklist with all of the Spellbooks and all of the Caster Rings in the rulebook was a nice touch. No impact on gameplay, and yet, I'd kind of like to have some of the weirder ones...
Last edit: 05 Nov 2021 02:14 by Virabhadra.
The following user(s) said Thank You: hotseatgames

More
05 Nov 2021 08:27 #327715 by hotseatgames
Replied by hotseatgames on topic Necromolds

jason10mm wrote: I'm gonna start selling what I call "NECRO-PICKS!!!!" which are totally not just regular tooth picks painted black and purple to clean out the corners of the molds of every little bit of magic goo.

People like options, you should charge a premium for “Natural” Necro-Picks.
The following user(s) said Thank You: jason10mm

More
05 Nov 2021 12:16 - 05 Nov 2021 12:18 #327719 by Virabhadra

Don't forget to cast exactly ten sets of metal necro-picks so "collectors" can invent wild secondhand prices for them.
Last edit: 05 Nov 2021 12:18 by Virabhadra.
The following user(s) said Thank You: jason10mm, Ah_Pook

More
05 Nov 2021 14:02 #327724 by jason10mm
I got the spider ring and one with a skull with I think a snake wrapped around it. I've not gotten through the rule book yet because I was tasked with watching Black Widow for the wife while she surfed the web :P I haven't opened the 4 blind bag ones yet. Interesting that the ring size is so small, they are prioritizing kids for sure, unless a larger "man child" ring is in the works :P

I am curious what else that mold will work with. My kids go through "magic sand" phases that might allow for at least some fine detail though that stuff is pretty coarse. At least it is easy to clean up. The official necromold doh is really soft and leaves a lot on fingers so I'm gonna try dollar store doh in the hopes it is good enough with less concern to prevent mixing and leaving bits around. I bet there is some sort of moldable hardening compound you can use as well to make actual minis.
The following user(s) said Thank You: Virabhadra

More
05 Nov 2021 14:27 #327726 by Virabhadra
I'm not sure whether it's because the Spellbooks ship with residual release agent on the molds or because the dough is so soft - maybe both? - but we had similar difficulties with our first game. We even had trouble getting all the dough out of one of the jars (with which the deluxe sculpting tool was a big help.)

That said, the dough had dried out just enough after one game that setting up game two was a piece of cake. The stuff will become too stubborn to mold eventually, at which point I think the rules suggest painting them. And then we'll have to come up with rules for Epic: Armageddoughn.
The following user(s) said Thank You: jason10mm

Moderators: Gary Sax
Time to create page: 0.182 seconds