October 09, 2023
2493 0
O
oliverkinne
October 06, 2023
2696 0

Outback Crossing Review

Board Game Reviews
Bugs: Recent Topics Paging, Uploading Images & Preview (11 Dec 2020)

Recent Topics paging, uploading images and preview bugs require a patch which has not yet been released.

× Talk about the latest and greatest AT, and the Classics.

Straight-forward DOAM Games

More
03 Jan 2022 09:50 #329273 by hotseatgames
Brewmeister is sending me Risk 2210. If that goes over and still more is craved, I'll probably get Risk Legacy. I like the idea of Legacy, although I'm not sure how well it would go over. This particular son has shown himself to be a sore loser, and I think the moment something he built up got torn up in his face, it would be all over. We'll see. The fact that the Legacy games are supposedly much more brief than your standard Risk fare certainly makes it more appealing.
The following user(s) said Thank You: sornars

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

More
03 Jan 2022 10:40 #329280 by Gregarius
I don't think you need to worry too much about him losing something he built up. You get to make a lot of changes to the map each time, but it will be many games in before anything really gets "destroyed."

Man, I really need to get Risk: Legacy played again. We were getting into some really interesting stuff when we stopped for some reason.
The following user(s) said Thank You: hotseatgames

More
03 Jan 2022 13:43 #329287 by southernman

Ah_Pook wrote: If he likes Risk then play Risk! Risk Europe is a great version, if you want to not play vanilla Risk.

Also strong recommend for Axis & Allies 1941, it's dirt cheap ($13 copy on the BGG marketplace atm) and is a streamlined version of A&A that's playable in 90-120 minutes.

Explicitly for three players try (the original) Axis & Allies: Pacific, this has a few interesting options including simulating the Pearl Harbour attack at the start of the game and Combat Air Patrols, well worth a look.

Risk: Star Wars Original Trilogy is another decent option although it can end pretty quickly if all players are not aware of the win conditions, possibly a bit light for what he may be after.

And I wouldn't be me without suggesting one of my top 5 games, Fortress America - more interesting combat than A&A and Risk, and they may like the theme.
The following user(s) said Thank You: Rliyen, Msample, hotseatgames

More
03 Jan 2022 13:51 #329288 by Msample
Replied by Msample on topic Straight-forward DOAM Games
Beat me to it; FORTRESS AMERICA. Get the older version if you can - FFG fucked up the remake by making map and rule changes to swing balance firmly to the invaders.
The following user(s) said Thank You: southernman, Rliyen, hotseatgames

More
03 Jan 2022 17:14 #329299 by jason10mm
Fortress:America has a "quick play" (and I use that VERY loosely here) option that speeds up the first few turns, right? That's my only real issue with that gem, it's just too programmed in the first part of the game and often the end becomes obvious a few turns before it is realized.

More
03 Jan 2022 17:50 #329303 by Msample
Replied by Msample on topic Straight-forward DOAM Games
I think the end is one of the games strengths; the increasing number of laser towers and American reinforcement cards force the invaders to push before attrition takes its toll. Things will come to a head one way or the other by turn 6-7.
The following user(s) said Thank You: southernman, Rliyen

More
05 Jan 2022 22:36 - 05 Jan 2022 22:37 #329430 by Jexik
Replied by Jexik on topic Straight-forward DOAM Games
ROOT and OATH.

Haha, jk.

If the kid is interested in Risk, I say play Risk. One of the newer variants is fine. 2210 is solid. Godstorm was kind of spoiled by that card that makes the game longer. Legacy is a triumph, and perfectly acceptable with 3. It may become unplayable with sore losers in the mix though. My first copy got ruined for that reason.
Last edit: 05 Jan 2022 22:37 by Jexik.
The following user(s) said Thank You: hotseatgames

More
06 Jan 2022 17:59 #329483 by Michael Barnes
The two more recent D&D ones were both pretty good, Conquest of Nerath and Assault of the Giants. Very neat and potatoes kinds of games. Giants is a little fancier with adventuring parties running around and such. Nerath is like an MB Gamemaster game.

I used to really like that Dust one, I played it an unusual number of times s because my friends at the time really dug it.

Reign gets mixed notices but it’s dirt cheap and it looks like big dumb fun. I thought about buying one for like $10 at B&N a few days ago but passed on it.

Star Wars OT Risk is fun and it’s actually made for 3 players.
Hard to find now though. The Clone Wars one was supposed to be decent too.

LOL what about Quest for the Dragonlords, remember that one?
The following user(s) said Thank You: southernman

More
06 Jan 2022 18:01 #329485 by Michael Barnes
Oh, what about Risk: Black Ops? That was awesome. Don’t know if it’s available anywhere now though.

More
06 Jan 2022 18:51 #329492 by hotseatgames
Today I received a generous box from Brewmeister, containing Risk 2210, Risk Star Wars OT, and classic Risk + Castle Risk, whatever the hell that is.

I'll report back when the kids decide what to try first.

More
06 Jan 2022 20:05 #329495 by Sagrilarus
Damn, that's a feel good story right there.
The following user(s) said Thank You: jpat, hotseatgames, Nodens, n815e

More
06 Jan 2022 20:51 #329499 by Michael Barnes
Oh, what about that Risk : Europe from a couple of years back, it was neat- pretty well produced and it had some of the post- black ops updates like objectives.I don’t think anyone played it.
The following user(s) said Thank You: southernman, hotseatgames

More
07 Jan 2022 00:10 #329506 by Jackwraith
Forgot about Castle Risk. That one was pretty cool, too.

More
07 Jan 2022 02:38 #329508 by mads b.
Replied by mads b. on topic Straight-forward DOAM Games
I have a risk version called Balance of Power which is made for two player only. It's been a while since I played it, but I remember it as good, and I think it uses some of the stuff from Black Ops. Some of the new things are terrain that can help the defender, objectives on the board (cities, radar stations, etc), and missions. Also, lost troops can be used to buy certain effects.
The following user(s) said Thank You: Gary Sax

More
07 Jan 2022 11:24 #329519 by Shellhead

Michael Barnes wrote: Oh, what about Risk: Black Ops? That was awesome. Don’t know if it’s available anywhere now though.

A few sellers on eBay, asking from $200 to $350. I would be tempted if the price was $125.

Moderators: Gary Sax
Time to create page: 0.709 seconds