October 09, 2023
2291 0
O
oliverkinne
October 06, 2023
2509 0

Outback Crossing Review

Board Game Reviews
Bugs: Recent Topics Paging, Uploading Images & Preview (11 Dec 2020)

Recent Topics paging, uploading images and preview bugs require a patch which has not yet been released.

× Talk about the latest and greatest AT, and the Classics.

Classic AT that got me started

More
12 Jan 2008 19:49 #495 by SenorOcho
Kriz wrote:

Page 3 before anyone says Risk? Come on guys, don't tell me you're leaving that little piece of Ameritrash off your resumes because of some sort latent BGG embarrassment?

There are plenty of people who play Risk who are neither Euro nor Ameritrash, because they aren't serious gamers...

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

More
12 Jan 2008 22:32 #504 by Shellhead
Southernman wrote:

Well in the early years (pre-teen) there was 'Hit the Beach' and 'Dogfight' amongst many boardgames my parents bought us,

Dogfight was my first AT game. Technically, maybe Battle Cry, except that I didn't like it, so my dad played it with his friends. Anyway, Dogfight was great, so many years ahead of its time, with hand management, bluffing, and even levelling up. And since I was still in grade school back then, sometimes I would just play with the plastic bi-planes.

More
13 Jan 2008 03:34 #510 by reapersaurus
Page 4 before Dark Tower is mentioned.

Talk about a HUGE AT game!
It had Orson Welles on a commercial for it, even.

More
13 Jan 2008 12:24 #521 by southernman
Shellhead wrote:

Southernman wrote:

Well in the early years (pre-teen) there was 'Hit the Beach' and 'Dogfight' amongst many boardgames my parents bought us,

Dogfight was my first AT game. Technically, maybe Battle Cry, except that I didn't like it, so my dad played it with his friends. Anyway, Dogfight was great, so many years ahead of its time, with hand management, bluffing, and even levelling up. And since I was still in grade school back then, sometimes I would just play with the plastic bi-planes.

Our copy is still in a cupboard back at my dad's house - unfortunately on the other side of the world. I was thinking about getting it sent over for my young lad to play but have so many other games these days it's not worth the cost ... plus cooler minis with 'Wings of War'.

More
13 Jan 2008 21:20 #568 by billyz
Got started an what would be considered AT through D&D. I was 12 or 13 and I was walking through a Coles bookstore with my mom when I saw it: The old D&D basic red box with the awesome illustration of a warrior mid hack against this big ass red dragon --on top of the dragon's hoard no less!

From that point on I moved on to AD&D, which I singularily blame for my piss poor grades in high school, not to mention that it was a substantial speedbump between me and any member fairer sex getting busy.

Boardgames early on included: Clue, Survive ( Ithink we gave that one away! D'OH!), Risk, and I played the living fuck out of Stratego-- which is odd seeing as how I can't stand the damn thing now!

I Played Space Hulk for the first time in '89-- which was the first time I realized that boardgames could be just as cool as RPG's... and the rest is history.

More
13 Jan 2008 22:54 #572 by BigLizard
Thanks Reaper! I totally forgot about Dark Tower in my previous post. Probably my biggest favorite as a kid. The three games I loved as a kid (Dark Tower, Jutland, and Risk) pretty much sum up what I like as far as games today. War games, games of domination and battles against monsters for fame and riches. Although the game itself was rather simple and, after a few sessions, repetitive, the awesome graphics and sound were enough alone to make me want to keep playing the game over and over. And I just now found a site where one can play a solo game of Dark Tower with the same graphics, sounds, and rules of the original Dark Tower ( www.hotflashgames.com/darktower.htm ). Its quite amazing.

More
14 Jan 2008 04:45 #578 by schlupp
I started with Samurai Swords/Shogun, I think. The game was imported from the US and I paid around 60 Euro back then (which is now equivalent to around 90 Euro, I'd say). What a game!! For quite some time our favorite game, by far. I still have it and would love to get it out again.

Other games which were played regularly: Civilization (which was just too long and I hated the civil war catastrophe), Junta (awesome, normally played with two strong players, and 5 opportunists), Talisman (with every expansion, including Dragon, which was really nice, once you were strong enough to beat them), StarQuest (too SciFi for my taste, not much chances for the Chaos player, which got better with the Dreadnought expansion), and of course HeroQuest (which we pimped with selfmade maps and added GW miniatures).

More
14 Jan 2008 07:52 #585 by bob_the_goon
My earliest AT games had to be Dungeon and Dark Tower, when I was like 5 or so (thanks Mom!). My mother was the only one who'd play with me.

Later, my friends and I were all about Fortress America, Axis & Allies, and Shogun.

Talisman also saw A LOT of play time through high school and college.

Took a decade or so off from gaming after college, but Heroscape brought me back to the fold.

More
14 Jan 2008 11:53 #609 by Malloc
For me it was shogun the 1st time around..

After taking a break in my 20's it as AH gangsters that started me up anew.

-M

More
14 Jan 2008 13:26 #619 by Shellhead
A number of posts in this thread have mentioned a time away from board gaming, due to rpgs or women or alcohol... for me, it was all of the above, but especially CCGs. In 1995, I was collecting and playing Shadowfist, Jyhad, Mythos and Legend of the Five Rings, which got pretty expensive. I never completely stopped buying or playing boardgames, but I definitely cut back quite a bit during the '90s.

More
15 Jan 2008 03:44 #701 by Forelle
Tiddly Winks. Hell, yeah! Oh, wait...

More
15 Jan 2008 11:35 #733 by Kriz
Ken B. wrote:

I can't believe Hasbro hasn't jumped on the Monopoly train with Risk and started putting out "Dog Risk" and "Simpsons Risk" and "Spongebob Risk" and "Gay Risk".

I can't believe the hardcore right wing Christians haven't released a Gay Risk...."they're taking over, and won't stop until they have world domination!"

More
22 Jan 2008 14:48 #1243 by TheDukester
Let's see here ...

Cosmic Encounter;

The Metagaming, TSR, and SPI microgames;

Risk;

And a fair amount of RPG-ing ... mostly AD&D 1e.

More
30 Jan 2008 23:18 #1691 by Doc Savage
I remember playing Stratego in between trading Batman cards in my friends room. I must have been 6 or 7. After that Richtoffen's War, AH Starship Troopers and lots of AH games. Later, melee, car wars and then a sea of game that I have purchased and never played. A habit that continues to this day. Heroscape I play with the kids and I just introduced them to Heroquest.

More
31 Jan 2008 01:43 #1695 by MrSel
The Fury of Dracula, 1987

The lead miniatures (and the alluring box cover of the European edition) hooked me in and the game kept me & friends awake for nights on end.

Blood Bowl, Space Crusade and Cry Havoc did the rest.

Moderators: Gary Sax
Time to create page: 0.158 seconds