October 09, 2023
2457 0
O
oliverkinne
October 06, 2023
2660 0

Outback Crossing Review

Board Game Reviews
Bugs: Recent Topics Paging, Uploading Images & Preview (11 Dec 2020)

Recent Topics paging, uploading images and preview bugs require a patch which has not yet been released.

× Talk about the latest and greatest AT, and the Classics.

War on Terror

More
19 Feb 2008 00:08 #2946 by vialiy
War on Terror was created by vialiy
I bought War on Terror last Saturday; I was surprised to see it in my very small FLGS. I played a couple games solo to check out how it looks. It's OK, but it's obvious that with negociations and alliances (and booze) it will be much better. I read Barnes' review at BGG and I pretty much agree with everything given my very limited experience with the game. What do you guys think of this game?

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

More
19 Feb 2008 09:23 #2961 by mrmarcus
Replied by mrmarcus on topic Re:War on Terror
War on Terror really requires at least 4 to be worthwhile IMO. But it's huge silly fun. I pre-ordered it simply based on the silly theme and it's been a good purchase.

More
19 Feb 2008 09:30 #2962 by Michael Barnes
Replied by Michael Barnes on topic Re:War on Terror
It's a blast. Some day, Steve "Tanktop" Avery is going to scan in all the notes and pictures we've drawn on the notepad that comes with the game. There's some hilarious stuff.

It's a great example of a game that wouldn't pass muster with so-called "serious" gamers because mechanically it's kind of crap. But it's incredibly fun, easy to play, and it encourages ridiculous behavior, suboptimal revenge plays, and comes with a balaclava. What more do you want?

More
19 Feb 2008 09:54 #2964 by Chapel
Replied by Chapel on topic Re:War on Terror
I keep missing the opportunity to play it. Have seen it played at the last couple of cons I was at.

More
19 Feb 2008 12:55 #2981 by vialiy
Replied by vialiy on topic Re:War on Terror
Yeah, it looks fun with the right crowd. I can't imagine playing this with serious players optimizing everything. One thing I like is the wanton destruction without much penalties. You can launch devastating nuclear strikes without the "you can do this but you'll lose 2000 VP" moral message.

More
19 Feb 2008 13:32 #2987 by mrmarcus

I can't imagine playing this with serious players optimizing everything.

Optimzing? There's one word for players who do that in this game...

Nukefood.

More
20 Feb 2008 21:52 #3074 by Grandstone
Replied by Grandstone on topic Re:War on Terror
I just ordered it today. It'll probably go over well with the crowd I hang out with. Does anyone think this is a good "gateway game," or do the rules get in the way of teaching it to newbies?

More
21 Feb 2008 09:52 #3105 by mrmarcus
I don't know about the "gateway game"... that completely depends on the crowd you play it with.

The rules are fairly streamlined and simple. It's easy to learn and simple to teach.

More
21 Feb 2008 14:05 #3129 by Grandstone
Replied by Grandstone on topic Re:War on Terror
"Easy to teach" is really all I want. I hate it when you have to spend an hour teaching a game to people who haven't played before. The light-hearted theme and intended attitude of play should help if things get a little bogged down, though.

More
21 Feb 2008 23:22 #3168 by Ken B.
Replied by Ken B. on topic Re:War on Terror
Yeah, being the perpetual games teacher can be the suX0rs...

Barnes, is War on Terror one that's on tap for when I come back to Atlanta in March?

More
23 Feb 2008 01:15 #3261 by PseudoIntellectual
Replied by PseudoIntellectual on topic Re:War on Terror
vialiy wrote:

I bought War on Terror last Saturday; I was surprised to see it in my very small FLGS. I played a couple games solo to check out how it looks. It's OK, but it's obvious that with negociations and alliances (and booze) it will be much better. I read Barnes' review at BGG and I pretty much agree with everything given my very limited experience with the game. What do you guys think of this game?

I imagine booze would do nothing but improve the game considerably. The game doesn't look good, and the rules are crude and under-developed, and I laugh more while playing it than almost any other game.

As long as *coughcough* no fun-murderers are actually standing there holding the rulebook, answering rules questions directed at another person and correcting your moves when they go against the rules when he is not playing AND doesn't own the copy he is directing the use of either.

This same character managed to ruin both of the games of WoT I've played. I imagine if he had shown up earlier he would have ruined Hey, That's My Fish! with uninvited rules-corrections.

More
23 Feb 2008 02:20 - 24 Feb 2008 15:56 #3262 by Gary Sax
Replied by Gary Sax on topic Re:War on Terror
PseudoIntellectual wrote:

Hey, That's My Fish! with uninvited rules-corrections.

No. That game is far too elegant.
Last edit: 24 Feb 2008 15:56 by Gary Sax. Reason: spelling

More
02 Mar 2008 21:59 #3713 by mikoyan
Replied by mikoyan on topic Re:War on Terror
We finally played this tonight and had a blast (hehe). Talk about a fun game. Nukes flying, cities blowing up. Etc. My only complaint is that it seems like it is too easy to blow stuff up.

More
03 Mar 2008 10:11 #3733 by Rliyen
Replied by Rliyen on topic Re:War on Terror
mikoyan wrote:

We finally played this tonight and had a blast (hehe). Talk about a fun game. Nukes flying, cities blowing up. Etc. My only complaint is that it seems like it is too easy to blow stuff up.

Kinda like Supremacy?

More
03 Mar 2008 18:42 #3754 by mikoyan
Replied by mikoyan on topic Re:War on Terror
Rliyen wrote:

mikoyan wrote:

Kinda like Supremacy?

I don't have a problem with the nukes. I'm talking about the war cards or the terrorist attack cards.

Moderators: Gary Sax
Time to create page: 0.295 seconds