October 09, 2023
2421 0
O
oliverkinne
October 06, 2023
2630 0

Outback Crossing Review

Board Game Reviews
Bugs: Recent Topics Paging, Uploading Images & Preview (11 Dec 2020)

Recent Topics paging, uploading images and preview bugs require a patch which has not yet been released.

× Talk about the latest and greatest AT, and the Classics.

Space Hulk for folks like me

More
21 Feb 2008 13:07 #3124 by jeb
I came to the hobby only about a year ago, really. I played some cool games in grad school (Talisman all tricked out, dragons and towers and what not), but most of my time was tied up in CCGs. Anyway, I snapped out of it, moved away from Puerto Rico and its ilk and have settled comfortably in this camp. I hear about the classics like Dune, Titan, and Space Hulk and have to content myself with wishful thinking, Colossus , and now: www.teardown.se/ , a free (Windows only) solitaire Space Hulk experience.

Smoke 'em if you got 'em.

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

More
25 Feb 2008 23:14 #3367 by billyz
HEY NOW!!

This looks pretty sweet! I've been playing Sacehulk SP fpr the past few years and this looks like it blows it out of the water... fuck it'd be nice if it supports first ed rules.

Nice goin' Jeb!

I'll download this puppy tomorrow and take around the block once or twice.

More
25 Feb 2008 23:53 - 25 Feb 2008 23:53 #3368 by billyz
Well Hallelujah!

Praise the Lord and pass the fucking ammunition!

Not only does this sumbitch have palatable graphics, it's First Ed. rules, they included lightning claws (BOOYAH!!), and they even have the Harlequin
missions from the Citadel Journal 2.

I think I just had a nerdgasm...

Jeb I owe you a beer. No joke. If you're headed to gencon this summer it'd be a good time to collect.

May the Emperor bestow His blessings upon Niklas Åstrand and Jörgen Nilsson .
Last edit: 25 Feb 2008 23:53 by billyz.

More
26 Feb 2008 10:55 #3394 by jeb
Replied by jeb on topic Re:Space Hulk for folks like me
billyz wrote:

Well Hallelujah!

Praise the Lord and pass the fucking ammunition!

Not only does this sumbitch have palatable graphics, it's First Ed. rules, they included lightning claws (BOOYAH!!), and they even have the Harlequin missions from the Citadel Journal 2.

I think I just had a nerdgasm...

Jeb I owe you a beer. No joke. If you're headed to gencon this summer it'd be a good time to collect.

I'm glad I brought some happiness to your life. I played the first few tutorial missions, and liked it. I got the sense that I would frigging LOVING it if I had the boardgame's context to set it in. I find myself wanting to say, "FWOOOOOOOSH" when I burn out a room. I bet that came up a lot in the real game. It's not so convenient at work.

As the father of young kids, GenCon is a distant exotic land for me. A land I know little about, but I expect is intriguing. Like the bottom of the sea, or the dark side of the moon. I am as likely to see those as GenCon in the next ten years. You'll owe me that beer for a while.

Invest some of this enthusiasm back into the game--there's a scenario designer and stuff too. Good luck!

More
28 Feb 2008 12:43 #3589 by Druen Kree
Yes thanks Jeb for pointing this game out to us .Space Hulk 2nd edition was awsome back in the day and if you played 40K it was a deal anyways cause the minis they packed with it were cheaper than buying them individualy!

More
29 Feb 2008 10:30 #3622 by NeonPeon
Can't wait to try this out this weekend...Thanks Jeb!

More
29 Feb 2008 11:17 #3628 by Gary Sax
Space Hulk is god damned hard...

More
29 Feb 2008 11:22 #3629 by Michael Barnes
This is a brilliant implementation, everyone needs to pick this up and support these guys. If you haven't played SPACE HULK, this is a great way to try it and see what a tragedy it is that the game is not currently in print.

I had forgotten two key things about SPACE HULK:

1) It's really fucking hard. The Genestealers are butchers.
2) DOOM, DESCENT, MUTANT CHRONICLES, et. al. are _not_ replacements for SPACE HULK. The gameplay is vastly different- it's much more about careful planning, strategic placement, and coordination. It's _not_ a run-and-gun thing at all.

I can't even get through the damn training missions!

More
29 Feb 2008 13:22 #3634 by jeb
Michael Barnes wrote:

1) It's really fucking hard. The Genestealers are butchers.

I can't even get through the damn training missions!

No kidding! I am due to head back for rounf 3 of that covering fire mission. I hadn't really read all the instructions before wading in and the first GeneStealer just walked up and annihilated my little guy. Then I tried again and killed him. ...And his friend walked up and annihilated me. I need to be a little more tactical.

More
29 Feb 2008 13:39 #3635 by Michael Barnes
You have to plan on the bolters jamming...apparently they went with a low-bid contractor.

More
29 Feb 2008 14:50 #3645 by Lagduf
With the recent announcement of FFG acquiring the rights to use some of GW ips, but specifically NOT being able to reprint Space Hulk I'm just actually wondering if GW hasn't come to their senses and decided to reprint the bastard. That'd be rad.

More
29 Feb 2008 17:52 - 29 Feb 2008 19:32 #3655 by billyz
Okay, I've been putzing aroung with this thing practically non-stop for he past few days and it's outstanding-- however it is not a proper representation of Space Hulk just yet.

a few problems that I'm hoping will be ironed out in version1.1 being released the 3rd of March.

1) No move and shoot.This would greatly expalin the ridiculous level of difficulty currently associated with the tutorial missions. The move and shoot option was the most important tactical advantage the marines had in SH as it allowed for them to quickly move in on choice firing lanes while simultaneously taking potshots at Genestealers in their LOS. Anything that maximizes the marines' piddly 4 AP is a very good thing and it boggles my mind that the game's designers said that they never used the option in all their years of playing ( I sooooo would have smoked them).

2)1st Ed Flamers with 2nd ed rules. What I absolutely loved about 1st Ed SH was the marines' abilty to use CP during the Stealers' turn. It was particularly usefull when used with flamers as it effectively gave them the abilty to go on overwatch as long as you had 2 CP in your pocket. When GW released 2nd ED, marines no longuer had that option, and consequently the flamers where gimped because what with a flamer costing 2AP to fire and them only having 4 AP they could (without command points) only move two sqares if they flamed anything since they could no longuer use CP during the stealers' turn (lack of marine movement= BAAADD THINGS). The solution that 2nd Ed's designers came up with is changing the mechanics of how a Flamer worked. Instead of flaming a whole section or six squares until the end of the stealers' turn and having 6 ammo with no reloads, in 2nd ed they could flame any individual square in their LOS, had twelve shots that would each cover a square with the concession that the flamer shot would only last until the end of the marines' current turn (unless you double flamed the square)-- however the Flamer did have one reload which cost 4AP to load. What this basically meant is that the Genestealer player had to be very careful how he placed his out of sight stealers or a Flamer with couple of CP could potentially wipe out a fuckload of them. Unfortunately the game's designers opted not to use 2nd Ed Flamers and the difference is telling.

3)The tutorial missions are HARD.Anytime you have short corridors with plenty of corners that allow for Genestealers to approach marines while avoiding overwatch fire automayically means a hanful of dead marines everytime you get unlucky and jam more than you should. Remember kids, the lack of proper firing corridors equals death!

I can live with the tutorials being hard but the move and shoot and Flamer problems are necessary fixes. I know that they are fixing the move and shoot thing in the new version-- hopefully they reconsider the Flamer thing as well.

Fuck this game rocks.
Last edit: 29 Feb 2008 19:32 by billyz.

More
29 Feb 2008 22:13 #3665 by billyz
Oh yeah, another little bug uis that LOS isn't limitless like it's supposed to be.

More
07 Mar 2008 12:14 - 07 Mar 2008 12:15 #3892 by jeb
moofrank wrote:

Speaking of Heroic Failures. No freeware Space Hulk game:

Kotaku reports: No More Space Hulk!

Although, if you were to go to:
http://www.strategyinformer.com/pc/spacehulk/full-game/21575.html
you might just find a copy.

NOOOOOOoooo! Someone break it to billyz gently--he may require medical attention. Sigh.
Last edit: 07 Mar 2008 12:15 by jeb. Reason: url

More
07 Mar 2008 16:58 - 07 Mar 2008 17:00 #3899 by billyz
Fucking GW!!! These guys busted their asses to make a kickass game, that they were in the process of fixing all the little bugs no less, when in steps one of the cocksuckers from that eternally open portal to Hell collectively known as GW Legal, and starts throwing cease and desists around.

I don't buy that bandwidth thing for a second. the funny thing is that the boys at Teardown pretty much bent over backwards to make sure that everyone knew that this was GW property-- for all intenst and purposes this was free hype.

For a game they axed years ago. That they still could be making money on now if they had the least bit common sense.
Last edit: 07 Mar 2008 17:00 by billyz.

Moderators: Gary Sax
Time to create page: 0.271 seconds