October 09, 2023
2289 0
O
oliverkinne
October 06, 2023
2505 0

Outback Crossing Review

Board Game Reviews
Bugs: Recent Topics Paging, Uploading Images & Preview (11 Dec 2020)

Recent Topics paging, uploading images and preview bugs require a patch which has not yet been released.

× Talk about the latest and greatest AT, and the Classics.

Tom Wham games

More
03 Mar 2008 23:28 #3768 by Shellhead
Tom Wham games was created by Shellhead
Anybody else have fond memories of those Tom Wham games that they published in the early days of Dragon magazine?

I had the King of the Tabletop and the Search for the Emperor's Treasure, and every once in a while, I come across some loose paper tokens from those games amidst the rest of my collection. They were fun games, with really fun artwork, and a couple of the better ones got made into actual boardgames with higher quality components (by olde standards), like Snit's Revenge and The Awful Green Things from Outer Space.

Wham's finest work might have been Mertwig's Maze, which was a reasonably short and cartoonish version of a D&D campaign, except that players could have their adventuring parties attack each other, too.

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

More
19 Mar 2008 20:49 #4276 by a strange aeon
Replied by a strange aeon on topic Re:Tom Wham games
I'm a huge fan of Tom Wham games, in theory. I have Awful Green Things, Planet Busters, Search for the Emperor's Treasure (the original Dragon magazine version) and Mertwig's Maze. But I've only managed to play Search for the Emperor's Treasure once and it was with 3 people and we didn't get to finish the game.

I'm really hoping to get Search and Mertwig's Maze played in the near future--the chit pulling thing seems to work pretty well in Search, and the art is so cute that you'd be a cold hearted bastard if you didn't find it at least a little bit endearing.

I have the crappy SJG version of Awful Green Things, and I haven't cut out the chits yet. It seems like a great, fun game though. Planet Busters I also haven't played yet.

So basically, Tom Wham has a great name and I own four of his games, but have only played 1, and only partially at that.

I love adventure type games, so I really just need to bring them to game night. I don't really have any nostalgia since I bought them after they'd been off the market, but I definitely think his designs have earned a place on this website.

More
20 Mar 2008 04:56 #4290 by Schweig!
Replied by Schweig! on topic Re:Tom Wham games
I have a newer copy of the SJG edition of Awful Green Things where you don't have to cut out the pieces. It's great fun.

More
20 Mar 2008 17:54 #4321 by Matt Thrower
Replied by Matt Thrower on topic Re:Tom Wham games
I have Mertwig's Maze, The Great Khan game and a home-made version of King of the Tabletop. None are outstanding but they are all:

* Good
* Fun
* Unusual & Inventive
* Genuinely amusing

Which is a pretty rare set of attributes. I think he deserves a lot more respect as a designer from the AT crowd than he really gets. I was very pleased that he met the criteria to make it in to my AT designer hall of fame, 'cos he certainly deserves the place.

More
27 Mar 2008 16:00 - 27 Mar 2008 16:00 #4425 by Mr. Bistro
Replied by Mr. Bistro on topic Re:Tom Wham games
I'm a big fan just because no one knows how to capture AT-flavor and fun the way he does. I'm excited about Dragon Lairds coming out in April. It's nice when a Wham game comes out with a proper printing.
Last edit: 27 Mar 2008 16:00 by Mr. Bistro.

More
28 Mar 2008 14:12 #4432 by NeonPeon
Replied by NeonPeon on topic Re:Tom Wham games
Mertwig's Maze was good stuff. Today I'm sure the roll-and-move mechanic would be criticized, and the Onyx Ox would be considered too unbalanced. Tom Wham's silly fantasy artwork isn't annoying like all those modern Steve Jackson games.

Wish I still had my copy.

More
21 Jun 2008 10:31 #7819 by Jason Lutes
Replied by Jason Lutes on topic Re:Tom Wham games
I love Tom Wham's games -- good, fun, inventive, and amusing is right! Not too long ago, while trying to suss out the whereabouts Dave Trampier (Wham's brother-in-law), I was pleased to come across Wham's website .

Moderators: Gary Sax
Time to create page: 0.133 seconds