October 09, 2023
2454 0
O
oliverkinne
October 06, 2023
2657 0

Outback Crossing Review

Board Game Reviews
Bugs: Recent Topics Paging, Uploading Images & Preview (11 Dec 2020)

Recent Topics paging, uploading images and preview bugs require a patch which has not yet been released.

× Talk about the latest and greatest AT, and the Classics.

Gary Gygax

More
04 Mar 2008 12:56 #3781 by Chapel
Gary Gygax was created by Chapel
Has Passed. That is all.

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

More
04 Mar 2008 13:15 #3784 by Shellhead
Replied by Shellhead on topic Re:Gary Gygax
I have crossed paths with Gary Gygax just twice in my life. In 1982, I attended my first GenCon and went to a lecture by Gary Gygax about AD&D. I asked him a challenging question about the messy grappling and pummeling tables in the DM's Guide, but he was still very nice when I got his autograph on my convention booklet afterwards. He signed it "Best wishes, Gary Gygax."

Twenty years later, I was attending the last GenCon in Wisconsin, and I saw this extremely old man with a long beard. I nudged one of my friends and said, "it looks like somebody brought their grandpa." My friend said, "you idiot, that's Gary Gygax."

More
04 Mar 2008 13:20 #3785 by mikoyan
Replied by mikoyan on topic Re:Gary Gygax
I used to play D&D quite alot in my youth and through college and a few years after college. I haven't played again in a long time. I love the game but it takes too much effort to try to run a campaign and keep people interested in playing. It's much easier to just pull out a game and play that.

He will be missed though.

More
04 Mar 2008 13:35 #3787 by mikelawson
Replied by mikelawson on topic Re:Gary Gygax
Wow.

I just heard through the grapevine on this one. Between he and Dave Arneson, they put pencil and paper RPGs on the map. From there, the RPG morphed into the computer/console version, but this was the beginning.

Considering I started playing back before the AD&D (hardcover) and D&D (red box) split, the RPG genre is an old friend.

R.I.P. Gary.

--Mike L.

More
04 Mar 2008 13:38 #3788 by Rliyen
Replied by Rliyen on topic Re:Gary Gygax
MWChapel wrote:

Has Passed. That is all.

Oh, no. I kind of figured that when I saw the title. He will be missed.

Now then, which realm will he go to? Happy Hunting Grounds? Nirvana? Positive Material Plane?

R.I.P. Gary

More
04 Mar 2008 13:56 #3789 by Harkonnen13
Replied by Harkonnen13 on topic Re:Gary Gygax
Man, going to a toy store to buy the 1st edition AD&D DMs Guide because it was just released. We were stoked to get it, better than Christmas. Then abusing the whole rules set horribly after that. Haven't played D&D in about 10 years but some good memories.

More
04 Mar 2008 14:16 #3791 by mikelawson
Replied by mikelawson on topic Re:Gary Gygax
Here's the notice on CNN:

www.cnn.com/2008/TECH/03/04/obit.gygax.ap/index.html

--Mike L.

More
06 Mar 2008 02:31 #3852 by dysjunct
Replied by dysjunct on topic Re:Gary Gygax
mikoyan wrote:

I used to play D&D quite alot in my youth and through college and a few years after college. I haven't played again in a long time. I love the game but it takes too much effort to try to run a campaign and keep people interested in playing. It's much easier to just pull out a game and play that.

But isn't one of the central tenets of AT that one long, emotionally-involved game is better than a bunch of shorter, less involving games? I can't think of a game more emotionally-involving than an RPG....

(Not to deny the logistical difficulty of extended campaigns when you get old/married/etc. I'm just sayin'.)

More
06 Mar 2008 02:41 #3854 by mikoyan
Replied by mikoyan on topic Re:Gary Gygax
dysjunct wrote:

mikoyan wrote:

But isn't one of the central tenets of AT that one long, emotionally-involved game is better than a bunch of shorter, less involving games? I can't think of a game more emotionally-involving than an RPG....

(Not to deny the logistical difficulty of extended campaigns when you get old/married/etc. I'm just sayin'.)

Playing a game is no problem, but any sort of campaign is almost out of the question.

Moderators: Gary Sax
Time to create page: 0.294 seconds