October 09, 2023
2289 0
O
oliverkinne
October 06, 2023
2505 0

Outback Crossing Review

Board Game Reviews
Bugs: Recent Topics Paging, Uploading Images & Preview (11 Dec 2020)

Recent Topics paging, uploading images and preview bugs require a patch which has not yet been released.

× Talk about the latest and greatest AT, and the Classics.

Dare i say it? Faitutti! Maybe.

More
18 Mar 2008 15:32 #4241 by Chapel
Ok, Ok, stop with the boos and hisses!

You got to take a look at Asmodee's new Bruno cathala and Serge Laget title Senji

www.faidutti.com/index.php?Module=ludotheque&id=550

Senji is great game of diplomacy, management and war. It reminds of the good old Dune, or even more of the Game of Thrones boardgame, which I both like and played a lot. Senji is lighter, faster and less technical, but it has the same clever interaction between the war, talks and management. The usual drawback, however, is that like all such games, it’s best played with a full complement of six players.

Eh? Eh? AT'ness?

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

More
18 Mar 2008 16:19 #4242 by ubarose
I adore Faitutti. He really appreciates Ameritrash games, although he calls them "American Monster Games." (monster as in big, long and complicated, not games about monsters). Before I found the F:AT crew, I relied heavily on Faitutti's reviews to find good games. I still read his blog often. He tends to find those games that are the right mix of AT with a little Euro updating. That "new generation" of "hybrid" games, or what ever you want to call them.

More
18 Mar 2008 17:43 #4243 by Mr Skeletor
Sounds like the new Warrior Knights, which Faitutti was also involved with.

More
18 Mar 2008 20:09 #4245 by Ken B.
I dig Citadels and Boomtown--both have enough randomness and player screwage to put them on the Euro/AT border, anyway.

More
19 Mar 2008 00:31 #4252 by Michael Barnes
Faidutti can do some good work when he wants to...CITADELS is one of the best card games I think.

This one looks pretty good overall (despite the "elegant" combat mechanic promised in the description) but if there's one theme I have almost absolutely no interest in it's Feudal Japan. And I love Kurosawa pictures. I even have some Shinkendo training. I just for some reason don't like the theme in gaming at all. I don't like wargames with Asian history themes, I don't like Japanese trappings, I don't like samurai stuff...I don't even really like ninjas all that much. If it were 1985, I'd be singing a different tune...guess I got Nipponed out back then.

Glad it's Asmodee...they're turning out to be a good publisher.

More
19 Mar 2008 10:02 #4258 by Chapel
Michael Barnes wrote:

I don't like wargames with Asian history themes, I don't like Japanese trappings, I don't like samurai stuff...I don't even really like ninjas all that much.

I will not eat them, Sam I am.
Heh, sorry, too easy.

I guess I'm the opposite. I LOVE the shogun theme. Can't get enough of it. I won't play Wallenstien now that Shogun is here. So this game looks quite promising to myself.

I also think the Diplomacy aspect of games really hasn't been expanded upon as of late. People either love or hate "dip" games. I am one of them that love the evilness of it. By the looks of the game pic (and I am just guessing) it has a HUGE stack of option cards. Hopefully it will add lots of flavor and replayability .

More
19 Mar 2008 11:47 #4262 by Rliyen
MWChapel wrote:

Ok, Ok, stop with the boos and hisses!

You got to take a look at Asmodee's new Bruno cathala and Serge Laget title Senji

www.faidutti.com/index.php?Module=ludotheque&id=550

Senji is great game of diplomacy, management and war. It reminds of the good old Dune, or even more of the Game of Thrones boardgame, which I both like and played a lot. Senji is lighter, faster and less technical, but it has the same clever interaction between the war, talks and management. The usual drawback, however, is that like all such games, it’s best played with a full complement of six players.

Eh? Eh? AT'ness?

I will definitely give it a shot. I enjoyed Dragon's Gold, so at least I'm aware of where he's coming from.

More
19 Mar 2008 23:49 #4280 by vialiy
At that point I have to remind you all that Faidutti (with a "d") didn't design Senji, Cathala and Laget did.

More
20 Mar 2008 00:24 #4283 by mikelawson
I have to admit that this looks really interesting. The "it plays best with 6 people" is a bit of a drawback for me, but in general it seems like it has potential.

I really have to admit I like Bruno's designs, and when he recommends a game, I tend to listen. Same thing with Moritz; a man who likes games such as Magic Realm and Wilderness War is someone that I'll listen to.

--Mike L.

More
20 Mar 2008 13:31 #4309 by Gary Sax
I think samurai lords by MMP looks way better, but that's just me...

If you guys are interested in multiplayer diplomacy games and new approaches to them, I have to pimp Here I Stand. I know it's a wargame. But the combat isn't complicated and now that so many euro players have been introduced to CDG mechanics through Twlight Struggle and 1960, I think the learning curve wouldn't be as extreme as you might think.

Moderators: Gary Sax
Time to create page: 0.398 seconds