October 09, 2023
2289 0
O
oliverkinne
October 06, 2023
2505 0

Outback Crossing Review

Board Game Reviews
Bugs: Recent Topics Paging, Uploading Images & Preview (11 Dec 2020)

Recent Topics paging, uploading images and preview bugs require a patch which has not yet been released.

× Talk about the latest and greatest AT, and the Classics.

Definitive Mad Max game?

More
15 Dec 2009 01:18 #50270 by username
I know this has been discussed around here before but:

I was walking through Wal-mart the other day and saw these little gems:

And since of course I love Mad Max movies it got me thinking, why have I never played Car Wars?

I still have an unpunched edition that came in a little cardboard box where you have to use scissors to cut the pieces out. Some of my 40K buddies talk about the glory days of Car Wars, but I soemhow missed the game.

Is Car Wars the definitive Mad Max game or is something else out there? I've tried unsucessfully to trade for Battlecars on TOS for years. I see Universal Head has a rules summary up for it, anybody ever used it?

Also have you tried Wreckage by FFG?

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

More
15 Dec 2009 01:43 #50272 by metalface13
Whoa, those are cool. What size are they?

I had Wreckage, but traded it away before I ever played it. It looked fun though. There's the new Rush 'n Crush, but it seems like not many around here have played it.

More
15 Dec 2009 01:58 #50273 by username
Those are 1/64 I believe which is basically standard hot wheel/matchbox size.

they are in Wal-Mart in the Hot Wheels section.

I guess there are two series, that is series two.

More
15 Dec 2009 08:26 - 15 Dec 2009 08:29 #50285 by Stephen Avery
Out of the ones I have tried I like Thunder Road. It gets right to the point and has the best balance between racing and fighting. Other games I own feel more like minis games and not so much a board game.

Car Wars- lot of customization, some weapons are unbalanced, the good level of detail w/o being too intricate

Racer knights of Falconus- campy and not as bad as *some* would attest. Could be a lot better though. I'm working on some house rules...

Wreckage- Pretty good, they should have made the cars customizable instead of fixed. Doesn't go over with most boardgamers because its a minis game in board game format.

Battlecars- larger scale cars does not lend itself to large battles. I've only played with myself (oh the shame- at least I won)

Car Wars Card Game- baaaad. Just bad. It had potential though. It felt like parked cars just slugging it out. If they had added an element of movement and some stunt cards it could have been ok.

Oooo- there are a few others that elude me. I'm anxious to try Rush n'Crush and Deathrace?(zman)
Also Frank Branham has some obscure titles, and there are a few mainstream I've not tried (Gorkamorka for instance.)

I'd love to hear if anyone has other favorites. Perhaps there is a gem I've missed.

Steve"CarWarrior"Avery

BTW there is also 1:32 size cares at some Walmarts...man are they cool but for the life of me I can't think of what I'd use them for (they're scaled just a bit too large for 28mm figures)
Last edit: 15 Dec 2009 08:29 by Stephen Avery.

More
15 Dec 2009 08:41 #50286 by Sagrilarus
I'm getting Rush 'n Crush for Christmas so with any luck I'll be reporting back by New Years.

If those cars fit on the Rush 'n Crush track I'll definitely pick up a set. I don't think they do, but I can hope.

Racer Knights of Falconus seems to have not landed a target market. The assembly is too complex for kids and the game isn't appealing to a wide enough set of adults. I bought a big pile of them cheap and had at them with the kids, but they quickly went back to Star Wars TCG and Pirates because they could figure the models out. At that point I had lost them.

S.

More
15 Dec 2009 13:31 #50315 by Pat II
Replied by Pat II on topic Re:Definitive Mad Max game?
Thunder Road as Steve puts it - gets to the point without bogging you down. I really liked Car Wars but I can't really imagine pulling it out now.

I actually bought a crap load of micro machines and painted them all shitty and dirty after I glued on all sorts of plastic bits and 1:72 scale machine guns, canons and whatever else. I made up three factions and a very simplified ruleset that was quite enjoyable.

Slicing the top of a 1:72 scale oil can and gluing a small barrel on it made a really nice laser turret. I made trucks, rigs, helicopters and tracked vehicles.

More
15 Dec 2009 13:49 #50320 by Shellhead
A very early issue of AutoDuel Quarterly (ADQ) had new rules, equipment and a scenario for a Mad Max setting for Car Wars. We just played it once, but it was a blast. I still have my homemade map for it somewhere in my game collection, though I no longer own that ADQ issue.

More
15 Dec 2009 14:08 #50322 by Mr. White
DARK FUTURE was our game of choice.

The campaign rules were a mess, but the basic barrel down the road blasting buddies rules were a blast. We didn't care for the arena style nature of car wars.

I always heard folks complain about it being to fiddly, but no more than any other GW game of the era. It was much more immersive than Thunderroad, plus tricking out hotwheels cars was a hoot! I've long thought about combining the best bits of these two (DF and Thunderroad) into the ultimate road dueling boardgame....

More
15 Dec 2009 17:17 #50339 by mjl1783
Replied by mjl1783 on topic Re:Definitive Mad Max game?
I've always wanted to play Dark Future. I liked all of Halliwell's other games, but I can't convince anyone else in my group (mostly Space Hulk fanatics) to try it.

More
15 Dec 2009 18:13 #50341 by Michael Barnes
The problem with ALL "Mad Max" games is that they all have exactly the same problem as any racing game- no sense of speed, velocity, or pace. DARK FUTURE may be cool and all, but it's slow, clunky, and you've got to consult charts and tables. ROAD KILL has a couple of good ideas but Don Greenwood-ese puts on the breaks early and hard.

The _only_ game that captures the spirit of the action in the pictures is THUNDER ROAD- not just in what you see on the board, but also conceptually. It's just one long, endless duel on barren roads with no kind of movement possible except forward and fast. It really nails the feel of the end of ROAD WARRIOR- it just needs car-to-car boarding, but that would probably bog it down in needless rules and ruin the sense of momentum it has.

"Mad Max" games get a couple of things so completely wrong it's not even funny. Mad Max was never about hood-mounted "autocannons" or any of that, nor was it about some kind of arena sport (that's Thunderdome, but that's also man-to-man). CAR WARS sort of shifted the idea of car combat games to that concept, and I never really liked it all that much. There's a couple of mounted weapons in the films (like that triple arrow launcher) but NONE of the cars are bristling with weapons...they're junk, salvaged from other parts. There's never any scene where car-mounted machine guns blaze away at another car- in fact, guns and bullets are pretty scarce. DEATH RACE 2000 didn't even have cars shooting other cars.

I like the Mad Max idea so much better- open cockpit vehicles, boarding, really more of a man-to-man fight across moving cars. No game really has that.

More
15 Dec 2009 18:39 #50343 by ChristopherMD
Michael Barnes wrote:

There's a couple of mounted weapons in the films (like that triple arrow launcher) but NONE of the cars are bristling with weapons...they're junk, salvaged from other parts. There's never any scene where car-mounted machine guns blaze away at another car- in fact, guns and bullets are pretty scarce.

Sounds like what we need is a Galaxy Trucker-esque game where you quickly throw together a vehicle from parts, possibly with guns if you scrounged them, and then have everyone's cars hit the road non-stop against various obstacles including other cars (AI and players) and see who survives.

More
15 Dec 2009 18:45 #50345 by Michael Barnes
That sounds MUCH cooler than another game with cars shooting rockets at each other in some kind of fucked up demolition derby setting.

More
15 Dec 2009 18:50 #50347 by Schweig!
Michael Barnes wrote:

I like the Mad Max idea so much better- open cockpit vehicles, boarding, really more of a man-to-man fight across moving cars. No game really has that.

Oh, CLOSE ACTION does, in a sense. Of course it also has cannons, but not auto ones.

More
15 Dec 2009 19:31 #50348 by Space Ghost
While its chariots, Circus Imperium kind of captures that man-to-man boarding and out of control speed fairly well.

More
15 Dec 2009 19:53 #50349 by mjl1783
Replied by mjl1783 on topic Re:Definitive Mad Max game?

Funny. I re-watched The Road Warrior not too long ago, and I immediately started trying to come up with a way to do this in a board game because, yeah, that's exactly what those movies were.

There are lots of ways you could do boarding with moving vehicles that would be easy on the playability, but what would really be the tough thing to model would be drifting. Whenever one of the drivers gets injured in those movies, all hell breaks loose. The car drifts into another car, that's car's passengers get thrown off, then that car starts drifitng, and so on.

Even then, I think it could be done and still be playable, but the problem is that you'd have to have a TON of cars and people in the game to make it any fun, which would make things really cumbersome.

Moderators: Gary Sax
Time to create page: 0.376 seconds