October 09, 2023
2291 0
O
oliverkinne
October 06, 2023
2510 0

Outback Crossing Review

Board Game Reviews
Bugs: Recent Topics Paging, Uploading Images & Preview (11 Dec 2020)

Recent Topics paging, uploading images and preview bugs require a patch which has not yet been released.

× Talk about the latest and greatest AT, and the Classics.

Risk versions--which ones are the good ones?

More
28 Apr 2008 12:54 #5442 by jeb
I know Reloaded or whatever is supposed to be good. What about GodStorm? Original Trilogy? Clone Wars? LOTR? I heard LOTR was total CRAP. Has anyone played all of these and can let me know which one I should angle for? I know there's Castle Risk and stuff like that too--let me know if I should keep and eye peeled for that.

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

More
28 Apr 2008 13:47 #5446 by ChristopherMD
As a card-carrying member of The Official Knizia Fan Club here at F:AT, I must admit that I enjoy Risk Express as a dice game.

More
28 Apr 2008 14:35 #5449 by Michael Barnes
I like mine flavored Original Trilogy the best...it's got a huge amount of narrative and theme (really unusual for RISK), action cards, assymetrical sides, the Death Star, huge amounts of drama, hunting for the emperor, powerbrokering with the Hutts...oh, and it's 45-60 minutes _tops_.

It's just a blast...the only thing is that it's really made for 3 players.

I liked the LOTR one OK, GODSTORM and 2210 are both OK but feel strangely bloated to me...never played the NARNIA one...

More
28 Apr 2008 18:08 #5455 by southernman
After listening to Mike rave on about SW:OT last year I got Rliyen to source a copy for me and post it across the pond .... and I wasn't disappointed - a brilliant game.

And it really only works with 3 - or 5 if you have teams which can help the Huts sometimes as you play them off against each other.

More
29 Apr 2008 17:05 #5520 by Aarontu
The Star Wars original trilogy one looks good, and if I had friends who I think would play it with me, I'd probably get it.

Risk 2210 is pretty cool, especially if you like nukes and eight sided dice. It's got a lot of extra stuff added to it, like leaders and cards and different types of territories.

I have owned both the LOTR -incomplete and LOTR -trilogy edition, and they both suck utterly. I'd rather play vanilla Risk than either of those crap-fests. The trilogy version is the worst; LotR fans will hate the map because it sucks and only vaguely reminds one of the map from the book, and whoever designed the spaces and connections needs to be beaten and forced to play this as the free people. This was one of the very first licensed Risk versions and I think it really shows; the theme is in appearance, only. On top of it all, the endgame is even more random than in plain Risk. The only reason the incomplete edition doesn't suck so bad is because the board is smaller and the game is over quicker.

More
29 Apr 2008 21:16 #5527 by TheDukester
Original Trilogy is the best I've played.

I never did play my copy of Black Ops, so I can't comment on its gameplay. I took my free promotional copy and sold it for $12,000 ... I'm planning on buying a new server for The Leading Boardgame Site.

More
29 Apr 2008 23:52 #5537 by Bulwyf
Risk:BO looks good but the USPS lost my copy in transit... I guess I will have to wait for the mass market version.

If you have 3 players, Original Trilogy simply rocks ass. Assymetrical goals, quick playtime and tons of Star Wars fluff is shoved into that box. Couple that with it's ridiculously cheap price and you have a winner. (As of right now TRU is liquidating OT for $15)

I've heard good things about Clone Wars so I tracked down a copy of that one as well. However I haven't gotten it to the table yet. Looks like it's a good choice when you have 4 or 2 players. Others here might have a better feel for it.

On another note, I've noticed the SW Risks are getting hard to find. Does anyone know if they are going out of print?

-Will

More
30 Apr 2008 17:50 #5600 by jeb
Well, things were looking good for me in a Math Trade for Risk SWOT until the asshat stapled Shogun (Samurai Swords) on there as a "sweetener". Fuck me. I don't think my Doom:The Boardgame is going to hang with that anymore.

More
01 May 2008 08:33 #5631 by Matt Thrower
I actually think the original stands up reasonably well, especially the current version which has various different victory scenarios built in to help cut the game time and increase replayability. I don't play it anymore, but that's more because there are better games that scratch the same itch and play in the same time or less than because it's a bad game.

LotR Risk is unbelievably awful. It's the worst "proper" game (as opposed to ten minute games with paper and pencil) I've ever played.

Risk 2020 is a very odd game indeed. It's certainly not a *bad( game but I found that the attempts at "opening up" the gameplay succeeded almost too well to the point where the game eventually ends up in complete chaos with players trading huge sections of territory almost on a whim because no-one could defend anything. You might find this good or bad - it didn't appeal massively to me. I really liked the bidding for turn order though: it added a surprising amount to the game and is something I'd consider porting to other versions.

Those are all the versions I've played.

More
06 May 2008 13:30 #5903 by dan daly
Star Wars Original Trilogy is very good. Risk 2210 is even better.

More
06 May 2008 14:36 #5908 by mikoyan
I've only played the original Risk and I'm tempted to pick up a copy at some point. although, I might find myself just waiting for the Black Ops version. The Star Wars one sounds interesting though.

More
06 May 2008 15:06 #5914 by mikelawson
I have to admit I'm impressed with Clone Wars, but I haven't tried any other varieties.

--Mike L.

More
06 May 2008 15:07 #5915 by jeb
dan daly wrote:

Star Wars Original Trilogy is very good. Risk 2210 is even better.

Really? You're the first person to advocate this? What's the skinny? Secret missions? Are there lasers or something? I really don't know.

More
06 May 2008 15:09 #5917 by Dogmatix
Damn Jeb, I wish you had pointed me to this thread before I posted your games in the trade for Regatta as I have a copy of the Clone Wars edition I would have thrown in the box for free. In looking at the rules, it adds some nice variation to the classic game and has excellent bits and works pretty well with the theme. Unfortunately, it just never gets to the table [nor does it sell or trade well] and I would love that bit of my basement back.

More
06 May 2008 15:17 #5918 by jeb
Dogmatix wrote:

Damn Jeb, I wish you had pointed me to this thread before I posted your games in the trade for Regatta as I have a copy of the Clone Wars edition I would have thrown in the box for free. In looking at the rules, it adds some nice variation to the classic game and has excellent bits and works pretty well with the theme. Unfortunately, it just never gets to the table [nor does it sell or trade well] and I would love that bit of my basement back.

Do you want me to cry? Is that it? Would that make you happy?

WELL MISSION ACCOMPLISHED!

Moderators: Gary Sax
Time to create page: 0.905 seconds