October 09, 2023
2289 0
O
oliverkinne
October 06, 2023
2505 0

Outback Crossing Review

Board Game Reviews
Bugs: Recent Topics Paging, Uploading Images & Preview (11 Dec 2020)

Recent Topics paging, uploading images and preview bugs require a patch which has not yet been released.

× Talk about the latest and greatest AT, and the Classics.

Cowboys: The Way of the Gun?

More
01 May 2008 18:54 #5678 by SusanR
Has anyone here played this game yet? I've had my eye on it for a while. I'm hoping that somebody will say that it's similar to Last Night on Earth as far as complexity, playing time, and lots of replayability from different scenarios. It needs to be short and simple to get my mostly eurogaming group to play it.

Mother's Day is next weekend. I need to start dropping some hints!

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

More
01 May 2008 21:08 #5684 by mikelawson
I can honestly say I have no idea. Looks interesting, tho.

--Mike L.

More
01 May 2008 23:22 - 02 May 2008 11:20 #5690 by Dogmatix
Since I'm a fan of Gunslinger but can't seem to work up the enthusiasm anymore for its nano-tactical approach, this game is tops on my list [narrowly edging out the kind of unnecessary yet really cool second wave of Wings of War minis] for my small binge of pointless consumerism relating to the forthcoming "economic stimulus" checks. I'll report back here as soon as I pick it up.

However, if you're really curious and are the sort who can visualize gameplay from reading the rules (not my personal strength), check out these links:

Basic Rules
members.cox.net/cujofilm/Cowboy_Rules1.pdf

Advanced Rules
www.worthingtongames.com/images/newsite/...s/Advancedrules2.pdf
Last edit: 02 May 2008 11:20 by Dogmatix.

More
02 May 2008 12:05 #5718 by Michael Barnes
I've heard kind of mixed things about it...I've heard that the card play isn't really all that great and the art is HORRIBLE, so I've sort of passed on it myself. Besides, I still love GUNSLINGER...

More
02 May 2008 13:40 #5729 by ironcates
This is a great game. Full of theme and narrative. You feel like your part of a western shoot out. The art fits well and the stand-ups make sense for this game (rather than minis) because you can shoot people in the back. The artwork really grows on you too.

The mechanics are simple enough to set up a non-gamer. I'd say it's even easier to pick up on than Heroscape but there's plenty of tactics to consider for the hard core gamer.

There's drawing your weapon, the spin and shoot, and a few other options for your turn. It always seems like you need one more action making for tough decisions.

More
02 May 2008 13:43 #5730 by ironcates
My Euro crowd friends will play it with me anytime. Hope that helps.

More
02 May 2008 18:16 - 02 May 2008 18:17 #5745 by Dogmatix
Michael Barnes wrote:

I've heard kind of mixed things about it...I've heard that the card play isn't really all that great and the art is HORRIBLE, so I've sort of passed on it myself. Besides, I still love GUNSLINGER...

I too still have some love for Gunslinger, but it doesn't quite float my GF's boat [likes the theme but doesn't quite get as immersed in it as she would want]. Since she's my primary gaming partner, that's a concern. This looks like it's a lot more "gamey," which I think she'll actually feel more at home with.

As for the art, well, I find all of Worthington's games fugly, but it's not a huge deal to me. I'm just glad it's not a block game like their wargames. After a marathon C&C:A effort, I'm extremely freakin' tired of putting stickers on anything.
Last edit: 02 May 2008 18:17 by Dogmatix.

More
04 May 2008 16:53 #5798 by jpat
Oddly enough, I've been reading pretty much all the reviews lately, as I was taking a look at this yesterday at my FLGS.

The review consensus seems to be that the components are very good and that there's a lot of theme and variety of scenarios. The problems, so perceived, are with the rules, which some find appropriately light and others find distressingly so. Worthington has some advanced rules on its site (already linked to below), and these are getting pretty good marks. Grant Wylie, one of the designers, noted on BGG that he thought the advanced rules made the game better, that maybe they'd gone just a bit too far initially in making a simpler Gunslinger. There is an expansion planned, but I haven't seen a firm time frame.

More
26 Aug 2008 10:22 #10547 by dan daly
I want a gunfight game.

Reading up on these online, I think I want gunslinger.

The problem is that Gunslinger is too freaking expensive.

So, I'm looking at possibly getting Cowboys instead.

Question: I've read the rules, and it says Health is normally 4. But without seeing the shot chart, I'm not really sure how much damage each shot does. So are one shot kills possible? Or do you have to get shot multiple times to die?

More
26 Aug 2008 22:44 #10589 by bob_the_goon
One shot kills are possible, but not common. A shot gun up close will do it though. I haven't played in almost a year, and I'm too lazy to get the rules to look up damage, but I remember most cowboys taking 2-3 shots to go down for the count.

More
27 Aug 2008 08:03 #10600 by dan daly
Thanks. Why the year since you played? Did the game not hold up after the newness wore off, or have you just been busy doing other stuff?

More
30 Aug 2008 20:32 - 30 Aug 2008 20:35 #10824 by jpat
When we play, we use the "variable damage" rules from the advanced rules to the game. In that situation, using the card deck for the value, it's possible to get an instant kill (of a fully healthy character) with an ace, 3 hits with a king, and 2 hits with a jack or queen. It's also possible to "miss" after hitting (joker) or just graze (deuce), which stops movement but not firing.

One thing you have to say for Cowboys, the designer responded to most of the critiques of the game as being too basic by adding on or codifing advanced rules ( http://www.worthingtongames.com/images/newsite/images/Advancedrules2.pdf ). (The basic rules are also on the site, and many of the advanced rules are optional rules made mandatory. But still.)

Cowboys is a decent game, but it's fairly situational for me. I have a feeling that many of the bigger scenarios that actually use the town map boards to better effect are decent. Some of the standup shoot-em-ups are quick and potentially dull, but even they can be kind of fun if you bring in the "narrative" attitude yourself. I'd recommend picking and choosing among available scenarios and not feeling bound to play them all through; the first ones are extremely basic.
Last edit: 30 Aug 2008 20:35 by jpat.

Moderators: Gary Sax
Time to create page: 0.232 seconds