October 09, 2023
2287 0
O
oliverkinne
October 06, 2023
2504 0

Outback Crossing Review

Board Game Reviews
Bugs: Recent Topics Paging, Uploading Images & Preview (11 Dec 2020)

Recent Topics paging, uploading images and preview bugs require a patch which has not yet been released.

× Talk about the latest and greatest AT, and the Classics.

Axis & Allies versions -- Which ones are the good ones?

More
06 May 2008 15:33 - 07 May 2008 13:38 #5922 by jeb
Akin to the Risk thread , this is the disambiguation clearing house for Axis & Allies games. There's now, uh, a million of them. Let's limit this to the boardgames or my head asplode.

There's the GameMaster one, the fatty boombalatty with Ike on the cover.

A revised edition from a couple of years ago.

And then these:
Axis & Allies: Europe
Axis & Allies: D-Day
Axis & Allies: Pacific
Axis & Allies: Battle of the Bulge
Axis & Allies: Guadalcanal

..and an anniversary edition due later in 2008 that will let you lose as Italy (finally!).

I've played only the original and it's a TON of fun. I recall some house rule about the Russians not attacking on the first turn to make the game fair and the rest was gravy. A little on the longish side, but the economic victory condition keeps it from become a TOTAL slog. Easily laid out for such a bit intense game, the rules make sense, and it keeps most everyone interested for the duration.
Last edit: 07 May 2008 13:38 by jeb. Reason: added guadalcanal

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

More
06 May 2008 15:56 - 06 May 2008 15:57 #5925 by Gary Sax
I don't have a roll eyes big enough for playing as Italy in A+A...

I don't know what people see in A+A. I hate the game and won't play it, especially when there are a million other treatments of WWII strategic. A+A takes forever, is some strange ahistorical version of WWII and is basically over in 1 turn, *maybe* 2 turns but lasts for hours afterwards. I don't get it. The only thing it has is the intro factor, since it was really the first wargame/big box complex boardgame I played.
Last edit: 06 May 2008 15:57 by Gary Sax.

More
06 May 2008 15:59 #5926 by Michael Barnes
The other day, somebody said "We should play some AXIS AND ALLIES"...and everybody, including me, kind of groaned. It's a great game if it's 1988. It's one of the few games I just have very little interest in ever playing again because I'd rather play something else newer.

That being said, Europe is the best one as far as I'm concerned...I like the focus on the European theater a lot more that the full war thing.

D-DAY sucks. I only played it once, but the whole time I was bored out of my mind. I didn't like the card system or the super-scripted play. I never played the Bulge one, but supposedly it's really good.

Pacific was supposed to be really good...I bought it at a flea market and promptly never played it.

More
06 May 2008 16:38 #5929 by mikoyan
In order of favorites:
Axis and Allies - Pacific. There are a number of options for the Japanese to pursue. They can try to knock out one of the British colonies. They can go for the economic victory. They can try to slog it out with the US.

Axis and Allies - Revised - There seems to be more flexibility in game play than the semi-original version. Germany is still in for longer.

Axis and Allies - Europe - This one seems to be a race to Russia before the Allies can building up on the Western Front.

Axis and Allies - Semi Original - This one's fun but it seems like it's over too quickly. Too much hinges on the die rolls in the first turn. If the Initial Soviet push back goes well, Germany's screwed. If Germany can't knock out the British fleet. If Japan can't knock out the American fleet. Heavy bombers are way too overpowering.

More
06 May 2008 17:20 - 07 May 2008 14:31 #5938 by Bulwyf
I've heard good things about A&A: Guadalcanal. I'ts currently sitting on top of my "to play" pile of wargames. Looking over the rules it seems like a fun treatment of the battle and not overly complex. My other impression is that the US and Japanese forces have an equal chance at winning. (Without the need for some sort of squirrelly victory conditions) I'll have more to say about it after next Monday.

-Will

*edited for crappy spelling*
Last edit: 07 May 2008 14:31 by Bulwyf.

More
07 May 2008 13:38 - 07 May 2008 13:39 #6023 by jeb
Bulwyf wrote:

I've heard good things about A&A: Guadalcanal. I'ts currently sitting on top of my "to play" pile of wargames. Looking over the rules it seems like a fun treatment of the battle and not overly complex. My other impression is that the US and Japanese forces have an equal chance at winning. (Without the need for some sort of squirrelly victoy conditions) I'll have more to say about it after next Monday.
-Will

I missed that one. Is it standalone? I'll add it to the first post. I think it would be pretty sweet to play this while The Thin Red Line plays in the background. Very atmospheric.
Last edit: 07 May 2008 13:39 by jeb.

More
07 May 2008 14:30 #6033 by Bulwyf
jeb wrote:
I missed that one. Is it standalone? I'll add it to the first post. I think it would be pretty sweet to play this while The Thin Red Line plays in the background. Very atmospheric.[/quote]

Yes it's standalone.

Through the construction/control of airfields and the destruction of enemy capital ships, the Allies and the Japanese try to be the first to accumulate 15 VPs. According to the box a game clocks in at the 2-3 hour range. My buddy Frank and I plan to play A&A:GC Monday night. Afterwards I'll post my thoughts on the game here.

Good idea about playing The Thin Red Line in the background.

-Will

More
09 Jun 2008 08:37 #7556 by dan daly
So did you ever get to play Guadalcanal? What did you think?

Moderators: Gary Sax
Time to create page: 0.129 seconds