October 09, 2023
2423 0
O
oliverkinne
October 06, 2023
2631 0

Outback Crossing Review

Board Game Reviews
Bugs: Recent Topics Paging, Uploading Images & Preview (11 Dec 2020)

Recent Topics paging, uploading images and preview bugs require a patch which has not yet been released.

× Talk about the latest and greatest AT, and the Classics.

Weekly Trash - Runebound

More
17 Jun 2008 11:24 #7700 by ChristopherMD
ubarose wrote:

The thing I disliked the most about Runebound was how much it depended upon drawing what you needed when you needed it at the market. It was like the object of the game was to go shopping. That felt dumb, and I hated it. We started playing with a market varient which we like better.

Which variant? We don't currently use any, but I was considering draw two cards and you can only buy one of them that same turn. That way there'd be some choice and the stacks would fill a bit more. My peeve is that the market stacks don't have much in them usually so there's no point in traveling to any specific town for something you want.

I recently bought a second set of movement dice, but have yet to try them in a game.

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

More
17 Jun 2008 12:00 #7702 by ubarose
Replied by ubarose on topic Re:Weekly Trash - Runebound
We use a varient of "Fang's Market Variant Layout" in the BGG download section. Our change is that you have a choice between going to ONE of the shops OR the Town Market Place (Fangs's varient allows you to go to both the town market AND one shop). We also do something a bit different with how many cards you draw and where they go, but my notes are at home. We have been experimenting to get it tweaked just right. The reason we decided to play this way is that we found that at the begininng of the game, whoever was able to get a cheap weapon or ally first ended up with a significant boost over the other players. It was particularly painful if someone was able to get a cheap weapon AND some cheap cannon fodder early on, while another player kept pulling super expensive items that they couldn't afford. We found that this varient allows players to stay fairly evenly matched and speeds up the early part of the game. Then once people start leveling up, the items become far less important, so the focus moves towards a race for encounters, rather than a race to the Shopping Mall.

More
17 Jun 2008 12:26 #7703 by maka
Replied by maka on topic Re:Weekly Trash - Runebound
metalface13 wrote:

The combat in Runebound is really that lame? I thought it sounded kinda cool, kind of like the combat in Marvel Heroes.

I think the Rock-Paper-Scissors mechanic from MH makes it much more interesting and more strategic. But maybe, with the number of combats that will be fought in a game of Runebound, it's better the way it is.

-Jorge

More
18 Jun 2008 02:13 #7715 by Johnny
Replied by Johnny on topic Re:Weekly Trash - Runebound
I really enjoy Runebound, except my group complains about the solitaire aspect. So I (almost grudgingly) went a tried a solitaire game (using Mr Skeletor's variant) - I ended up playing it 8 times in 5 days...
After that, I tried a party variant, where 2 players played together as if we were allies - we had a blast. It was more fun than any regular game of Runebound I've played.

I think those are examples of what makes Runebound a good game - that fact that it's so tweakable and that it doesn't fall apart when you make changes to suit your tastes.

More
18 Jun 2008 05:55 #7718 by Mr Skeletor
Anyone who doesn't rate runebound at least an 8 is a testicle sucker.

More
18 Jun 2008 08:54 #7719 by mikelawson
I'll remember that, Frank.

The time that Big Lizard brought over Runebound and we played a game, I had a blast. We ended up having to cut the game short because a) it was 2 AM and I had to get up early for travelling the next day, and b) neither of us were powerful enough to take on the dragon lords. However, I recalled the pain in the ass it is when people play and don't read the commentary out loud, so I made a point of doing that in the game. It made the game that much more thematic.

--Mike L.

More
24 Jun 2008 22:50 #7901 by BigLizard
I think the combat is fine. It took a while to learn the system but once you learn what parts of combat can be skipped because there's no chance of damage and get a grasp on when its best to attack and when to defend, it goes pretty fast. The use of items and allies makes the choices much more interesting and keeps the combat from being completely repetitive.

I'll agree about the dice to the degree that it can be frustrating if you need to get a certain roll and it just isn't coming up. But I think that adds to game. Some things aren't going to be certain. Sometimes you just can't get there from here.

I like the suggestion about a market variant. The few times I've played, the market is under utilized at the beginning because many initial items are expensive or aren't seen as very helpful. Usually I waited for an item reward from an encounter rather than waste time going to a city for a mere potential of getting something worthwhile. If there is more choice early on or segregation of cards based on some criteria, it should make going to market a more viable choice.

BillN

More
25 Jun 2008 00:49 #7905 by Ken B.
Replied by Ken B. on topic Re:Weekly Trash - Runebound
The thing I think that Runebound captures well that many adventure games don't is the sense of forming a party. I mean, in World of Warcraft everybody just is doing their own thing, though you might team up to defeat a tougher foe. And in Descent you do have a party but it's in a highly tactical sense, like Rainbow Six or something..."You take point! You advance and sweep! You guard our rear and keep a line-of-site perimeter!"

Runebound has the whole NPC party member thing going on, which is a big part of D&D. Getting NPC party members is great for two reasons--the players get some help, and as a DM you get a nice target you can actually kill without pissing everyone off too badly.

A lot like those old PC role-playing games...

"JIRTA THE FIERCE has joined the party!"

More
07 Oct 2008 18:18 #12616 by Stonecutter
Sorry to dig up a dead thread, but

Can someone explain how the character expansion decks work? Do you take items/abilities from them from the start? Do you mix them into the item deck? It seems like you'd almost need to have one or more for every player if you were going to keep the game at all fair.

More
07 Oct 2008 19:01 #12620 by Mr Skeletor
Keep your eye on the front page.

More
07 Oct 2008 21:40 #12629 by metalface13
I was wondering when you would continue your buying guide.

Moderators: Gary Sax
Time to create page: 0.178 seconds