October 09, 2023
2291 0
O
oliverkinne
October 06, 2023
2509 0

Outback Crossing Review

Board Game Reviews
Bugs: Recent Topics Paging, Uploading Images & Preview (11 Dec 2020)

Recent Topics paging, uploading images and preview bugs require a patch which has not yet been released.

× Talk about the latest and greatest AT, and the Classics.

Help me save Blood Feud in New York

More
16 Jun 2008 10:40 #7667 by Shellhead
Based on remarks on the recent Tanked Games article, it seems that several of us have had a negative experience playing Blood Feud in New York. It's just not a very good game. Normally, I would just leave such a game to gather dust until I finally got around to selling it off or giving it away. This time, I can't do that. There's just too much quality in the components. Like Zombies!!! everybody is impressed the first time they get a look at the components in Blood Feud.

So I want to save Blood Feud by fixing the rules. Can you guys help me out?

Maybe we can tweak the rules. To me, that's the best way to fix the game, identify one or two particular weak points and then draft a good, clean house rule that totally solves the problem. For example, if players are tending to turtle, then maybe give a +1 IFM multiplier to the last player to kill an opposing piece, functioning sort of like the Edge in Jyhad/V:tes.

Or maybe a heavy overhaul would be better... replace the tedious math of buying stuff each turn with a deck of cards that limit buying options each turn, plus maybe have some fun random events that affect the game, or even some take-that action.

Or just go wild and mash it up with another game. Specifically, I like the idea of combining Blood Feud with FFG's Marvel Heroes. Maybe each player controls a gang and also a street-level hero. Your crime family battles the other crime families, plus your hero also battles the other crime families. Or maybe get some villains from HeroClix and allow crime families to recruit those villains as special assassins. Or re-theme the game crazily and cover all the empty city sections with zombies at the start of the game. Or even mix this game up with Vampire: Prince of the City for a more action-packed take on vampire politics.

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

More
16 Jun 2008 11:20 #7671 by Michael Barnes
The quickest fix is to simply throw the game in the nearest trash can. DO NOT burn it, I'm fairly sure it's toxic.

Why bother fixing it? Just design a new mob war game rather than putting all that time and effort in to dressing up a pile of shit.

More
16 Jun 2008 11:22 #7672 by jeb
Isn't that what's he's suggesting with the overhaul? We started a thread about what amounts to a Five Points wargame on here in Ye Olden Tymes. Drag that out and make it work. How many bits are there to work with?

Total conversion is the only way to salvage the paper and plastic in this box.

More
16 Jun 2008 14:00 #7679 by ubarose
Monsters Menace Manhattan
A cooperative game with a secret traitor. Government Agents, the Military, and the Scientists work together to defeat the monsters rampaging through New York. Coming Soon - the Marvel Hero Expansion.

From Blood Feud:
Board
Scientists: White coats
Government Agents: Black Suits

From Memoir '44':
Army

From Monsters Menace America:
Monsters

More
16 Jun 2008 14:18 #7680 by Shellhead
Ubarose, that sounds like a great idea, but it also reminds me of a print'n'play game that I've been meaning to download and assemble, "Oh No, There Goes Tokyo". Gotta love a game that is inspired by a great Blue Oyster Cult song:

www.boardgamegeek.com/game/14410

More
16 Jun 2008 14:48 - 16 Jun 2008 14:51 #7682 by ubarose
Thanks for reminding me about "There Goes Tokyo." I assembled a copy awhile back when I was stuck in bed recuperating from a concussion. I totally forgot about it. Duh. I'll have to try and play it this week.

P.S. I'd also play "Zombie Feud in New York."
Last edit: 16 Jun 2008 14:51 by ubarose.

More
17 Jun 2008 22:56 #7711 by Stephen Avery
I have heard such horror stories about this game that I'm scared to breach my copy. I want to like ti though. If there are some simple fixes to make the game more playable, lets hear them...

Steve"DonAvery"Avery

More
18 Jun 2008 00:55 #7713 by Druen Kree
I tried realy hard to like this game but it just didn't work for me.
Its just a territory control game that fells like every other game of that type.
when I first heard there was a mobster game coming out I was excited but then after playing it I felt that it had very little to do with organized crime .
The toxic fumes when you first open the box didnt help .

More
18 Jun 2008 04:35 - 18 Jun 2008 04:42 #7717 by SenorOcho
ubarose wrote:

P.S. I'd also play "Zombie Feud in New York."

Aw, now I might buy a bag of zombies to work with this...
Last edit: 18 Jun 2008 04:42 by SenorOcho.

More
18 Jun 2008 10:25 #7721 by Shellhead
The deck of events and other card types holds some potential, given that every territory on the map is already named. Maybe two decks of cards, one is just a card for each location, like Risk. That could also be used for a more dynamic start to the game. For events, when an event is revealed, draw a random location card to see what area is affected.

For the zombie scenario, yeah a bag of 100 zombies should nicely fill up those empty spaces on the board at the start of the game. Make them Romero-style zombies, slow but only die from a head-shot. So the mobsters get a free round of attacks, plus first attack every round of combat after that, but they get -2 to hit. So thugs would only kill a zombie on a roll of 9-10. Let everybody roll a die to see how many zombies they move one space at the end of their turns.

More
18 Jun 2008 15:55 #7733 by SenorOcho
Hell, you're better off redesigning the rules to the game completely - set something up where all the mobsters are on the board in the beginning, and it becomes a matter of surviving wave after wave of zombies...

More
18 Jun 2008 16:34 - 19 Jun 2008 09:43 #7735 by Shellhead
SenorOcho wrote:

Hell, you're better off redesigning the rules to the game completely - set something up where all the mobsters are on the board in the beginning, and it becomes a matter of surviving wave after wave of zombies...

I like it. How about throwing out the money aspect completely?

Everybody draws a random location for where their entire crime family starts. The rest of the map gets explored, with randomly vehicles, thugs, enforcers and hitmen. And zombies. To grab vehicles, just show up first where they are located. To grab "employees", make some kind of diplomacy roll, with a bonus if the diplomacy is conducted by a family member or a boss. Failed diplomacy can lead to a shoot-out with hostile survivors. And unless you get a head shot, all killed humans rise the following turn as zombies.
Last edit: 19 Jun 2008 09:43 by Shellhead.

More
19 Jun 2008 06:13 #7761 by Citadel
Shellhead wrote:

Or just go wild and mash it up with another game. Specifically, I like the idea of combining Blood Feud with FFG's Marvel Heroes. Maybe each player controls a gang and also a street-level hero. Your crime family battles the other crime families, plus your hero also battles the other crime families. Or maybe get some villains from HeroClix and allow crime families to recruit those villains as special assassins.

This sounds good. I loved the Batman Cataclysm/No Man's Land books. Gang warfare with superheroes and supervillians would make a fantastic game.

Moderators: Gary Sax
Time to create page: 0.247 seconds