October 09, 2023
2290 0
O
oliverkinne
October 06, 2023
2507 0

Outback Crossing Review

Board Game Reviews
Bugs: Recent Topics Paging, Uploading Images & Preview (11 Dec 2020)

Recent Topics paging, uploading images and preview bugs require a patch which has not yet been released.

× Talk about the latest and greatest AT, and the Classics.

Weekly Trash - Heroscape

More
16 Jun 2008 13:50 #7677 by ChristopherMD
I'm sick in bed right now with a big headache so I'll post about this another day. I just wanted to get it started. Please post what you like or don't like about this game.

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

More
16 Jun 2008 14:00 - 16 Jun 2008 14:01 #7678 by Shellhead
I played once, and don't feel like playing again, though I wouldn't rule it completely out of the question.

Setup is too long and only fun for people who really enjoy playing with Legos. I don't enjoy Legos anywhere near as much as did in grade school, so I found setup to be a barrier to playing again. I suppose it would be okay if somebody went to the trouble of setting everything up in advance.

Actual play was fast and easy, but combat felt too random and not as tactical as I would have liked. The varying powers for units is a cool idea, but they didn't seem well-balanced.

Cleaning up afterwards was even worse, because it lacked entertainment value even for Lego fans. Again, this might not be a problem under certain circumstances, like maybe an event at a con.

Storage issues would be ridiculous, thanks to all the figures and other pieces. There is zero chance that I will ever buy any Heroscape sets.

Everything that Heroscape does, is done better by the OOP but excellent game The Hills Rise Wild.
Last edit: 16 Jun 2008 14:01 by Shellhead.

More
16 Jun 2008 14:43 - 16 Jun 2008 14:48 #7681 by Citadel
Replied by Citadel on topic Re:Weekly Trash - Heroscape
Edit: Wrong game. Oh well. I've never played this one.
Last edit: 16 Jun 2008 14:48 by Citadel.

More
16 Jun 2008 14:50 #7683 by jeb
Replied by jeb on topic Re:Weekly Trash - Heroscape
I, for one, am fucking jealous of kids that get to grow up with this on the local department store's shelves. When I was a lad, they had Sorry!, Perfection, and shit like Simon. Then again, I got to play with Jarts--you don't see those anymore. As for plasticy nonsense, all we got was Crossbows & Catapults, which, while awesome, is not actually much of a game.

Heroscape is a decent enough game, and it's pretty like crazy. I would have loved it as a 8 to 12 year old. This is Survive! or Risk in 15 years--a game that people will remember playing and loving when they were young and bring them crawling back to the hobby in an effort to reclaim their misspent youth.

I haven't actually played a real game with the real rules. I've played six or seven turns with the beginner rules over several "sessions" with my kids, ages 2 and 4. They adore setting up the map, especially the water tiles. They love being Dr. DOOOOOM. This alone makes it worth it. And to that--the game is supercheap if you look around. I got Marvel Heroscape (the worst offender in terms of balance I hear) for $13 at Target without really trying. $13 for a Hulk mini that will haunt my young son's dreams? Worth it. ("He's mad. Is he a bad guy?")

I don't see myself ever getting any boosters or whatever the lingo is for the little kits, but I have a tub of Return of the Valkyrie and that Marvel box around to break out and play with every once and a while.

More
16 Jun 2008 15:18 #7684 by ubarose
Replied by ubarose on topic Re:Weekly Trash - Heroscape
I agree with Jeb that this is a fine game to play with kids, or for 8-12 year old kids to play with each other. Building the map is part of the fun and keeps them busy. Actually my kid plays with it as a building set more often than not.

Clean up and storage is a bitch.

More
16 Jun 2008 16:46 #7685 by Stephen Avery
I have a quite a bit of this stuff. Granted, I love legos as a kid and grew up to get a degree in fine art with a focus in sculpture so the building process is one of my favorite parts of the game. I've had some very interesting battles with it too. Inevitably the battles revolve around one or two choke points and much of the terrain becomes superfluous. The aestheitcs of a well designed terrain are hard for any AT gamer to pass up.

The units are definately unbalanced but the game is so light that it hardly makes a difference. If you're that intense, you're probably not playing HS anyway. Tactics are few besides army composition choices about whom to commit and where (especially on larger maps.) For a streamlined bash-em-up battle Heroscape can't be beat(well perhpas by thunder road.) If you're looking for depth of play, better grab something else.

Cleanup is not actually that bad. Sandy Branham came up with a great solution. She stacks like tiles together and throws a big rubber band around it. You end up with chunks of about 15 tiles that can be put peicemeal into plastic storage containers.

Now that I've expressed my like of the game I've probably damned it to the same "third Tier" oblivion that so many other games that I like have been relegated to ;D Still I defy MB or anyone else to pass up a huge battlefield with Cyborgs, Dragons, soldiers, and ninjias all clustered around ready to fight. teh game roxxor!

Steve"HScaper"Avery

More
16 Jun 2008 16:55 #7686 by moss_icon
Heroscape is a huge amount of fun. So simple, yet with a lot of scope for being clever. Not that I ever am. But even with single set maps my games tend to come down to a final, epic slugfest between a couple of heroic characters to decide the winner.

More
16 Jun 2008 20:59 #7691 by mikoyan
Replied by mikoyan on topic Re:Weekly Trash - Heroscape
Valkyries, World War II soldiers....Gah...where's the tea, farmers and colonists?

More
17 Jun 2008 09:26 #7694 by ChristopherMD
I bought into the hype on this one back when it was first on clearance at TRU for 2 for $20. I opened one of mine and had more fun setting it up than playing the game. Probably took longer to set up too. I don't mind dice combat or anything like that and actually thought the combat system was neat. But ultimately it seemed to boil down to move a unit forward a couple of times then fight. For pretty much the whole game. It was boring. Not Caylus kind of boring, but a different kind of boring. Plus I've never really liked the mixed genre's idea (dinosaurs versus robots versus men-in-black) so I'm not sure what I was thinking buying it in the first place. Must have been the belief that I was getting a deal. Which I did as I gave my unopened copy to my nephew who loves it and sold the other for more than I paid for the two sets originally.

More
17 Jun 2008 09:37 #7696 by hancock.tom
I've got a copy of the marvel set I haven't messed with. Any opinions on it?

More
17 Jun 2008 10:05 #7697 by Aarontu
Replied by Aarontu on topic Re:Weekly Trash - Heroscape
It's actually surprisingly fun for something put out by MB. My brother picked it up a little while ago and we have played it a bit. The combat is extremely simple, easy, and fast. My brother and I are both WH40k vets, and Heroscape feels like a breath of fresh air to our miniature gaming side. We haven't played 40k in a long time, because it just takes too much time for the amount of fun you get from a battle, but Heroscape has let us use some of our old 40k minis again (subbing them out with squad units n' stuff). No plans on buying any boosters; if we want more guys, we'll make unit cards for our warhammer dudes.

More
17 Jun 2008 10:08 #7699 by Ken B.
Replied by Ken B. on topic Re:Weekly Trash - Heroscape
I like the characters in the Marvel set (natch), the concrete/asphalt terrain is nice, but you reeeaaaalllly need more than just the Marvel base set to build anything resembling interesting terrain. If you just use the Marvel set your battlefields are tiny, and every character has huge range and movement so in the end it becomes a stand-around blastathon.

Combine with a master set or two for some real fun. Savage Land battles, eh?

More
17 Jun 2008 14:47 #7705 by jeb
Replied by jeb on topic Re:Weekly Trash - Heroscape
Ken B. wrote:

I like the characters in the Marvel set (natch), the concrete/asphalt terrain is nice, but you reeeaaaalllly need more than just the Marvel base set to build anything resembling interesting terrain. If you just use the Marvel set your battlefields are tiny, and every character has huge range and movement so in the end it becomes a stand-around blastathon.

Combine with a master set or two for some real fun. Savage Land battles, eh?

I read a pretty good session report on BGG that boiled down to some big tournament was held, one guy was rocking everyone else by spending a big chunk of his allotted build points on Silver Surfer. So he had a pile of regular dudes clogging up the ground and Silver Surfer cruising around nuking everyone with the Power Cosmic. The report was written by someone that beat him with non-Marvel guys, but everyone was wowed by the interaction with the Marvel Set.

That's where I think there's some real appeal--it's basically a MtG with Minis and a low entry price point.

More
17 Jun 2008 15:17 #7708 by bobby_5150
The problem with the Marvel set is that you can beat the Hulk with snipers. That's right boys and girls, the Hulk can be taken down with guns.

More
17 Jun 2008 15:29 #7709 by Ken B.
Replied by Ken B. on topic Re:Weekly Trash - Heroscape
bobby_5150 wrote:

The problem with the Marvel set is that you can beat the Hulk with snipers. That's right boys and girls, the Hulk can be taken down with guns.

Same problem that's applied to any gaming inclusion of Superman for years and years now. In Heroclix thare are several average baddies--especially mixed with Outwit--who can take down Superman, or at least hurt him severely.

BULLSHIT.

But...you must make concessions. If The Hulk were unkillable, then we'd just agree I'd won as soon as I'd drafted him. Characters like that have to play nice in a game system, or else you shouldn't include them.

Moderators: Gary Sax
Time to create page: 0.236 seconds