October 09, 2023
2289 0
O
oliverkinne
October 06, 2023
2505 0

Outback Crossing Review

Board Game Reviews
Bugs: Recent Topics Paging, Uploading Images & Preview (11 Dec 2020)

Recent Topics paging, uploading images and preview bugs require a patch which has not yet been released.

× Talk about the latest and greatest AT, and the Classics.

Liebe and Intigue

More
22 Jun 2008 16:29 #7832 by Stephen Avery
A while back I saw Uba post that she was looking forward to playing Liebe and Intrigue, the Jane Austin game of matchmaking and romance.

I thought "it will be a cold day in Hell before I try that." Low and behold this past weekend I was a gaming event when Frank Branham comes up to me and with a slightly manic grin he holds up this pink box that looks like an oversized romance novel. I groaned, but one of my (unofficial) axioms of gaming is "Always try Frank's games" (Axiom #4 to be specific.)

So We sat down to play. You have three daughters that you're trying to marry off and you send them to different locations to meet their prospective husbands and to increase their social standing, beauty, and knowledge. The park and tavern have a plethora of men to meet, greatly increasing the chance of meeting your suitor but also have a chance of running afoul of Cassanova (status decrease) and intoxication (knowldge decrease.)After you visit a location you pick a potential suitor, adjust you statistics, play any cards from your hand, and draw a new card. If you have three of the same suitor and the statistics he requires, you get married.

"play any cards from your hand"...Aka The fun part:

The cards let you inflict small pox, alchohol poisoning, and spread rumors of indescretion. There are many many ways to screw up some one elses chances of becoming married and the cardplay is reminicent of a (victorian version) Jerry Springer episode.

There is also the "intrigue" part. You can steal suitors with a good die roll to leave the other women unmarried and barren to slowly wither away at the altar.
The game could have easliy been a multitude of other themes..Wizards researching spell formula, Adventurers searching for treasures...Ect but the girly theme and funny descriptions lead to some of the funniest trash talking I've heard in a while.

So if you're looking for a fun trash talking game, I advise you to and give it a try.

Oh and if you're reading this Simon..."Keep your hands off of my beloved Bodo or I'll snatch you bald headed."

Steve"Liebe and Intrigue"Avery

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

More
22 Jun 2008 23:31 #7841 by ubarose
Replied by ubarose on topic Re:Liebe and Intigue
I'm glad to hear that Frank finally found a copy.

You are brave men. None of the guys at my group will play it. They all act like it's a box of tampons or something.

More
23 Jun 2008 00:11 #7845 by BigLizard
Replied by BigLizard on topic Re:Liebe and Intigue
ubarose wrote:

I'm glad to hear that Frank finally found a copy.

You are brave men. None of the guys at my group will play it. They all act like it's a box of tampons or something.

EEK.. you said that word and I can feel my face turning red. Actually, after reading Uba's post on it, I thought it might be a fun game despite the theme (I think I mentioned that to a game buddy once). Haven't seen it in a store yet but I could be persuaded to buy if not too expensive, or at the least be persuaded to play the game.

Bill "I don't go down that aisle" N

More
23 Jun 2008 20:57 #7864 by ubarose
Replied by ubarose on topic Re:Liebe and Intigue
I wouldn't recommend purchasing this game to anyone here, unless you have a game partner who swoons over Regency Romance novels. What makes the game so delightful is how well the theme is executed. It is rather pricey, and it's not in English. So after paying for the game, I also had the expense of card sleeves and printing out translated cards.

However, if you get a chance to play, do try it.

More
24 Jun 2008 00:11 #7868 by Jason Lutes
Replied by Jason Lutes on topic Re:Liebe and Intigue
Oh man, and here I was with a notebook full of ideas for a boardgame version of Pride & Prejudice. Guess I can scrap that one...

More
25 Jun 2008 16:45 #7933 by iguanaDitty
Replied by iguanaDitty on topic Re:Liebe and Intigue
Yeah I'd say after playing it once with Uba I will be happy to repeat that experience once a year or so and not much in between.

More
29 Jun 2008 06:13 #7994 by jur
Replied by jur on topic Re:Liebe and Intigue
It's a great game to play in any company that has some sense of the back biting that women engage in socially. We sat around with four guys late at night and had the best slagging off of dresses and reputations I've heared ina long time. "What a great dress Maria! We gave the exact same one to our kitchen maid for her wedding and it looked great on her too!"

Moderators: Gary Sax
Time to create page: 0.126 seconds