October 09, 2023
2455 0
O
oliverkinne
October 06, 2023
2658 0

Outback Crossing Review

Board Game Reviews
Bugs: Recent Topics Paging, Uploading Images & Preview (11 Dec 2020)

Recent Topics paging, uploading images and preview bugs require a patch which has not yet been released.

× Talk about the latest and greatest AT, and the Classics.

Warrior Gods: any takers for a satirically charged religious boardgame?

More
27 Jun 2008 11:22 - 29 Jun 2008 15:24 #7963 by Dr. Mabuse
Has anyone heard much about this game "Playing Gods"? It's a satirical look at religion and the way it's used to justify wars in the world. It's being put out by a company called Balls Out Entertainment.

After a quick glance at the rules, it looks like a typical roll/move, play-a-card style game. I like the premise but there's no direct God-on_God action, you kill off a god by either destroying and/or converting all it's followers, so there may not be much there. That being said, have a look at these limited edition figures, these scupts are fucking amazing!

Any interest?

www.playinggods.com/
Attachments:
Last edit: 29 Jun 2008 15:24 by Boots.

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

More
27 Jun 2008 12:35 #7969 by Michael Barnes
How can a no-name, crappy little company like this come up with these awesome sculpts but
all these hobby game publishers whine about not being able to afford better production
values?

More
27 Jun 2008 13:08 #7970 by Dr. Mabuse
Michael Barnes wrote:

How can a no-name, crappy little company like this come up with these awesome sculpts but
all these hobby game publishers whine about not being able to afford better production
values?

Could you imagine what hobbyists would say if they had to pay even more money for higher quality products? Please! I'm still scratching my head over the bitching and complaining that VG got over the puzzle board treament or the awesome Carthaginian die (which was not included in the AH version) of Hannibal. And although the Hannibal sculpts are okay, they were for FREE yet at a cost for VG. The biggies are afraid of these kinda reactions., whereas the smaller companies haven't felt the "taint" of the "pure" hobbyists...yet.

That's what I don't understand with this hobby, if you love it so much why not pay good money for a quality game (i don't mean Black Ops)?

More
27 Jun 2008 14:03 #7974 by Stephen Avery
OMG..I must...Have...this!

Steve"SacrigliousBastard"Avery

More
28 Jun 2008 04:51 #7986 by hacksword
Michael Barnes wrote:

values?

Hobby game publishers have to take research and development costs into account,
not just component quality. For example, not only would GMT give the Buddha a minigun,
but they would also model precisely the amount of ammo his minigun carries and the
deflection of his bullets off Moses's tablet. Would you get that kind of attention to
detail from a no-name company? I think not.

More
28 Jun 2008 11:03 #7987 by ubarose
Michael Barnes wrote:

values?

That's a picture of the "Limited Edition" God Idols which cost an additional $25.

More
28 Jun 2008 13:24 #7988 by bfkiller
Fun idea for a theme. There aren't many board games I can think of that use humour which strives to push some buttons. There are examples of highly successful video games that do it (notably, most of Rockstar's offerings) but not so much on the tabletop.

So who else can't wait for every BGG user with a shiny blue cross microbadge to go apeshit when they see that Jesus mini? :P

More
28 Jun 2008 13:39 #7989 by Sagrilarus
the barefoot killer wrote:

Fun idea for a theme. There aren't many board games I can think of that use humour which strives to push some buttons. There are examples of highly successful video games that do it (notably, most of Rockstar's offerings) but not so much on the tabletop.

So who else can't wait for every BGG user with a shiny blue cross microbadge to go apeshit when they see that Jesus mini? :P

WWJB = What would Jesus bludgeon?

I don't know if I'm interested in the game but I've made a personal copy of that photo. That's a keeper.

Sag.

Moderators: Gary Sax
Time to create page: 0.207 seconds