October 09, 2023
2289 0
O
oliverkinne
October 06, 2023
2505 0

Outback Crossing Review

Board Game Reviews
Bugs: Recent Topics Paging, Uploading Images & Preview (11 Dec 2020)

Recent Topics paging, uploading images and preview bugs require a patch which has not yet been released.

× Talk about the latest and greatest AT, and the Classics.

Weekly Trash - RoboRally

More
11 Aug 2008 13:21 #9789 by ChristopherMD
Ryan B. wrote:
I found that this game can have a tendency to be a little dry to some people... especially women who are not already predisposed to any sort of *engineering* bent. It has a cute theme however and I have discovered that our "Type A" female guests who like it seemingly like it most for the cuteness of the robots. As for the game itself: it is a clever design and is a true pre-thinking game... somewhat cerebral. Its a good "mellow" game to wheel out on occasion to counter-balance the high energy action *party* type of games.

Weekly Trash is a series of discussion threads in the F:AT forums. Each week a comment from the recommendations database is highlighted here. Don't be shy about posting further comments, questions, answers, funny stories, pictures, "this game sucks", or anything else related to the game.

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

More
11 Aug 2008 13:31 #9790 by Michael Barnes
I'd like to present this series of images to depict my feelings about ROBORALLY:

More
11 Aug 2008 14:00 #9795 by Shellhead
I like RoboRally but I don't love it. I think that a racing game should play quickly, but RoboRally tends to bog down as certain players get really analytical about their moves. That could be solved by using a minute timer, but then there are delays created by the more complex map features. And eventually, the games still seem to run too long.

If you stick to the simplest scenarios, use a timer, and stick with the simplest boards, RoboRally can be fun. Otherwise, it can get tedious.

More
11 Aug 2008 15:14 #9801 by jeb
Replied by jeb on topic Re:Weekly Trash - RoboRally
Is this another game that gets ruined by dicks? You have robots, they are racing. As far as I can tell, there are lasers and pits and shit. What can go wrong? Taking 10 minutes to figure out where your robot goes next, that's what.

Barnes invoked a similar sentiment in a thread about Speed Circuit--it is a race, please don't analyze the optimal path through every turn, corner, and possible eventuality. Just go. You have an idea of where to go next, start heading there. If you think someone's going to mess that up for you--throw a juke in. Sometimes a running back runs somewhere other than straight ahead to keep from getting tackled, but he's not cogitating an ideal path through myriad defenders--he's just running.

More
11 Aug 2008 15:41 #9804 by moofrank
I'm not a big fan of Roborally either. The new AH edition helps a fair bit, but the original include 0 track designs, and provided no help.

Invariably, this led to 4-6 hour games, races that spread out enough so that there was no interaction after the first couple of turns....

(Pimp time.)

Although I wasn't trying to retune Robo Rally, my own Warhamster Rally has a lot of the same feel. The problems with Robo Rally became much more clear as my game converged a bit with it.

1. WR uses two fixed race boards, each with only two poles.
2. You only plan one move ahead--using very Blue-Max-like move templates that move you more.
3. You can move other things around on the board by remote control. This allows you to screw with one (or more) people ahead of you.

Another cute game in the same vein is Duck Duck Go. Simple, short, and if you order it from the publisher, you can choose your own duck sets---I'm for a pirate versus ninja duck set.

More
11 Aug 2008 19:35 #9820 by metalface13
I gotta say, I just got back from the dentist today, (cavities, no root canal) but I STILL would've rather spent the hour playing Roborally.

More
11 Aug 2008 22:30 #9830 by ozjesting
I like this game too. I agree that the extensive maps can get bogged down, but in the short/medium version they are fine. But all this assumes you use the following rule; Instead of the timer being flipped only after the penultimate program is finished, it is instead flipped when the FIRST player is finished his program! That keeps things clicking along nicely. Esp when someone is locked up a bit and only has a card or two to place! KaPow, suddenly RR is back to being the laser crazy mayhem it is meant to be!

More
12 Aug 2008 09:05 #9855 by Stephen Avery
I prefer Dragon Delta to roborally. It also has simultaneous move selection on convergant paths but plays a hell of a lot faster and is just as mean. The theme sucks but the gameplay is so fun that it doesn't matter.

Steve"RatBastard"Avery

More
12 Aug 2008 09:14 #9858 by mikoyan
Replied by mikoyan on topic Re:Weekly Trash - RoboRally
I have a love hate relation with this game. I really hate when registers start getting locked out...

More
12 Aug 2008 09:47 #9864 by ChristopherMD
RoboRally is the game that got me into boardgaming as an adult hobby. After more than a decade its still my #1 game and I will never turn it down. I hardly ever win, but always have fun playing.

Nowadays we usually do two boards with one flag per player (i.e. each player gets to place a flag). I've never cared much for the Options cards but my friends love them so I don't recall the last time we played without. Usually I go for the race aspect and just try to make it to the flags. Sometimes I do try to win by killing off the other players. Which either sets them back enough for me to have a good lead or takes their last lives and thus I win by default. One friend used to sit on a wrench for a few turns collecting options and then go after everyone as we did our best to avoid whatever section of the board he was in.

I've never had a game go too long or any AP problems in the groups I've played with. We've never used a timer either. I have been guilty of doing the robo-dance on occasion although the more you play the easier it gets to know where your robot will end up.

I love pushing people into pits or just messing up their programs. Shooting them with lasers is okay too, but I definitely prefer the physical contact. The game is very flexible as you can play it lightly with beer and socializing or seriously with heavy concentration. I've managed to get most of the expansions over the years while keeping my overall cost relatively cheap as I've gotten really lucky with eBay sales.

Dragon Delta is a lame-ass Eurogame where you "interact" by blocking your opponents path or whatever. RoboRally has robots with freakin lasers on their heads so its automatically a thousand times better. I suspect you could play RR with preset hands that get refreshed every turn like DD, but I've never tried. I have done a bunch of other variants though. Our most recent was having a random set of squares catch fire at the end of each turn during a single board game.

More
12 Aug 2008 11:33 #9879 by Stephen Avery
Admittedly the theme(or lack of) in Dragon Delta is horrible. But the gameplay is much better. It has all the screw you mechanics of RR but plays in 1/3 time. Movement is easier to plan and thus faster and you can block anyone's move w/o needing to be "in position". I'm all about cool robots with lasers but DD is the better game.

Steve"Veritas"Avery

More
13 Aug 2008 10:23 #9933 by Citadel
Replied by Citadel on topic Re:Weekly Trash - RoboRally
I do like Roborally. The concept is very fun. I like the puzzle type gameplay. The biggest problem is my friends' tendancy to set up megatracks with twelve boards. The game is fun when it is tight and everybody's robots are getting in each others way. Once have a huge track it become multiplayer solitare. I much prefer it played on a couple of boards. It is also far quicker that way. Once someone gets ahead of the pack the game is pretty much over in terms of competition. It could maybe do with some Mario Kart blast the leader stuff to keep everyone bunched up.

More
13 Aug 2008 12:51 #9946 by ChristopherMD
Stephen Avery wrote:

Admittedly the theme(or lack of) in Dragon Delta is horrible. But the gameplay is much better. It has all the screw you mechanics of RR but plays in 1/3 time. Movement is easier to plan and thus faster and you can block anyone's move w/o needing to be "in position". I'm all about cool robots with lasers but DD is the better game.
Steve"Veritas"Avery

You also like to play Barbie's dream date game (and in German no less). So everyone should take your opinion on which game is more fun for what its worth.

More
13 Aug 2008 19:20 #10043 by Stephen Avery
You wound me deeply Mad Dog.

You wound me deeply.

Steve"Gametologist"Avery

Moderators: Gary Sax
Time to create page: 0.161 seconds