October 09, 2023
2444 0
O
oliverkinne
October 06, 2023
2645 0

Outback Crossing Review

Board Game Reviews
Bugs: Recent Topics Paging, Uploading Images & Preview (11 Dec 2020)

Recent Topics paging, uploading images and preview bugs require a patch which has not yet been released.

× For those who like to push chits.

Any Upcoming Wargame Releases on the F:ATties Radar?

More
05 Apr 2012 20:22 - 05 Apr 2012 20:26 #121850 by Harkonnen13
There's plenty of wargames coming out in the next year but only a few I'm interested in. I've more or less given up on P500/pre-order but there's a couple must-have games that I'll want before the stores get them.

It Never Snows: The simplicity of SCS meets a monster Market Garden game. Big and small scenarios. My one and only current pre-order but it is a Gamers release and already has a production slot. I have high hopes that this will be good.

Next Band of Brothers game: Jim Krohn's follow-up to Ban of Brothers Screaming Eagles. I think it's Ghost Division, Eastern Front. The first game rocked and it's the best squad-level game I've played. Sign me the fuck up. I would consider pre-ordering this, especially since there's been issues with retailer availability with BoBSE.

Conflict of Heroes Guadalcanal: CoH is a decent system. The big draw for me is that it's tactical PTO with a game that I don't have a problem playing. Not enough new PTO games out there.

Ogre 6E: Must have. I love Ogre.
Last edit: 05 Apr 2012 20:26 by Harkonnen13.

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

More
05 Apr 2012 21:49 - 05 Apr 2012 21:51 #121866 by Gary Sax
Thanks for the thread, man, this is a good idea. I like to talk wargames but we don't have a nice conversational thread on just wargames. Band of Brothers looks fantastic and it is on my wishlist, I love the designer's focus for the game but haven't played it. This Eastern Front entry doesn't interest me themewise, but honestly neither does overdone 101st paratroopers. I may just have to get one anyway to see what the fuss is about with the system.

There are some games I've preordered that I'm psyched to get---Virgin Queen being #1 as the sequel to my favorite game. Should be out very soon. Angola also coming out pretty soon since it's almost all been printed.

I've also preordered some other stuff, OCS: Korea, Navajo Wars from GMT, and the reprint of Stonewall Jackson's Way.

I'm actually really psyched for Stonewall Jackson's Way reprint, but for exactly the right reason... I've been playing GCACW recently with Kingput and I LOVE, LOVE the series. I'm not very good at it but it is a great ruleset. They're adding the full Bull Run 1 campaign to the already meaty Bull Run 2 of the original. Right now I'm playing a full campaign (40 turns!) of Battle Above the Clouds and loving it. GCACW is a wonderful, *extremely* playable system. Most campaign games are something that are so big it's hard to wrap your mind around actually playing them but GCACW maintains a perfect balance of playability and covering the whole campaign.

I've been thinking about ordering one of Volko Ruhne's COIN games... Andean Abyss, the Columbia game, should be out very soon. It looks very interesting, to me. But I'm actually a bit more interested in the second in the series, Cuba Libre, which is basically the Cuban communist revolution, 4 sided. It will play considerably faster than Andean Abyss, which is plus for a 4 player wargame for me.
Last edit: 05 Apr 2012 21:51 by Gary Sax.

More
05 Apr 2012 21:51 - 05 Apr 2012 21:52 #121867 by tscook
Sturm Europa! is the big one for me, as is Simmons Game's WWII Eastern Front game if it drops this year.
Last edit: 05 Apr 2012 21:52 by tscook.

More
05 Apr 2012 21:52 #121868 by Gary Sax

tscook wrote: Sturm Europa! is the big one for me, as is Simmons Game's WWII game if it drops this year.

Reminds me I need to read the rules for my copy of Totalar Krieg 2.

More
05 Apr 2012 22:19 #121874 by Harkonnen13

Gary Sax wrote: Band of Brothers looks fantastic and it is on my wishlist, I love the designer's focus for the game but haven't played it. This Eastern Front entry doesn't interest me themewise, but honestly neither does overdone 101st paratroopers. I may just have to get one anyway to see what the fuss is about with the system.

The Eastfront isn't a big draw for me either but with that game the play's the thing. Rules that are fun and innovative. Big emphasis on suppressing fire, limited intel, and training being something different than resolve. Good stuff. Hopefully Worthington will get more copies of BoB out to the stores so more people can play.

Gary Sax wrote: There are some games I've preordered that I'm psyched to get---Virgin Queen being #1 as the sequel to my favorite game. Should be out very soon. Angola also coming out pretty soon since it's almost all been printed.

I've never played HIS but I think I'll play Virgin Queen eventually. Maybe at BGG Con. I need to try the system sooner or later and both those games have some good history. Might try Angola, more good history but the long playing time might put me off.

tscook wrote: Sturm Europa! is the big one for me, as is Simmons Game's WWII Eastern Front game if it drops this year.

Seems like Sturm Europa has been in development for a really long time. They need to get it published.

More
05 Apr 2012 22:24 - 05 Apr 2012 23:07 #121876 by wolvendancer
As mentioned, Virgin Queen and Angola have to be right up at the top of the list. Kingdom of Heaven will be released next month, and that's up there with those titles, too. Those three games are on the cusp of release.

1989 is about to hit shelves, too, but it's just to light to interest me. Not big on the acritical Havel worship, either.

Navajo Wars is quite a ways away, but I've preordered. Ogre 6Ed is a good catch.

I really, really like Wilderness War, but I'm a bit nonplussed about Volko's COIN stuff. Even after you acknowledge that COIN is a massive boondoggle - and even when you rip away all of the awful NeoCon assumptions in the games - they are so radically asimulationist it makes my teeth hurt. Wish I could like them, but I'm not built that way.
Last edit: 05 Apr 2012 23:07 by wolvendancer.

More
05 Apr 2012 22:34 - 05 Apr 2012 22:46 #121877 by Gary Sax
Being a social scientist, I can generally work with it if someone gives me their assumptions upfront. So it doesn't bother me too much. My impression is that this is really the way that policy wonks think about insurgency, it's interesting to see someone's assumptions (accurate or not) play out in the face of 4 players.

That said, I haven't played the series, so I don't know if the asimulationist stuff will bother me. Both Labyrinth (which I really enjoyed, despite a couple difficult assumptions) and these definitely seem pretty abstract once you peel away some of the game.
Last edit: 05 Apr 2012 22:46 by Gary Sax.
The following user(s) said Thank You: flim_flam

More
06 Apr 2012 01:55 #121902 by DukeofChutney
Im watching Virgin Queen with great curiosity. I havent played here i stand, but i really like CDGs and i like diplomacy so i want to try some multiplayer CDGs. I've ordered a cheap copy of successors 2nd edition so hopefully i'll get some insight from that. Is Napoleonic wars any good? I'm drawn to the theme, and the relatively short play time. Personally i'm happy with 6 hour + games but my game groups wont take things much over 4-5 hours. So virgin queen will only be purchased if it looks manageable.

I've got Pax Baltica on P500 but that could be a long way from release.

I'm watching crown of roses too. I've got Richard III, and i love it, despite its flaws. But GMT can produce some total crap as well as gold and i'm going to wait until Crown of Roses gets some good and bad reviews out until i make a decision. Unfortunately this could take some time. Getting decent semi objective reviews for war games can be tough, there's few people that do it.

1989, i like the look of the theme, but unless it proves to be far superior to Twiglet struggle i wont get it (this doesn't set the bar to high, i like TS but its far from perfect).

More
06 Apr 2012 02:24 #121906 by Bulwyf
The only game that I'm interested in and likely to come out in the next 4 months is Virgin Queen. I'm a huge fan of HIS having played quite a few games online. I can't wait to give this new Ed Beach offering a spin.

I'm also interested in It Never Snows but I don't think we'll see that until Fall. Maybe in time for BGG.Con?

-Will

More
06 Apr 2012 02:40 #121910 by jpat
As some of you know, my eyes are bigger than my stomach when it comes to buying games, including wargames, but I don't have a terribly large number on preorder at the moment. Bloody April, the WWI aviation game, is probably the soonest to come out, along with Crown of Roses. I've put down a few MMP preorders for the first time--Lincoln's War, What Price Glory, and Warriors of Japan--but I'll admit to not knowing as much about these as about GMT titles. Mr. Madison's War looks like it might be decent and I have that preordered as well, though I really can't get past the goofy subtitle.

More
06 Apr 2012 02:44 #121911 by QPCloudy
I'm looking forward to Squigherder releasing that Warmachine army to me here in a couple days. Heyoooooooh!

More
06 Apr 2012 02:53 #121912 by Harkonnen13

Bulwyf wrote:
I'm also interested in It Never Snows but I don't think we'll see that until Fall. Maybe in time for BGG.Con?

-Will

Fall it what they're saying for the release date. Hopefully they hit that target.

More
06 Apr 2012 03:07 #121914 by Not Sure
VQ.

I have nothing else in the pipeline (Circus Train on P500 doesn't really count). I might pick up Mr. Madison's War, I haven't spent much time looking at it yet.

Angola and Andean Abyss appeal to me, because I love multi-player asymmetric stuff. However, I have a bunch of it already that never gets played.

More
06 Apr 2012 03:29 - 06 Apr 2012 03:39 #121915 by SaMoKo
What kind of fish sauce did you use? The Thai Kitchen stuff is :barf:

I can't really think of anything else that would cause that. Take a whiff of bottle. If it smells like salty dead fish it will taste like that too! Try out either the Golden Boy or Squid brands, those are about as good as you can get outside of making your own.

Sorry! Gonna stop using my iPhone because I'm astoundingly bad at this. Shameful.
Last edit: 06 Apr 2012 03:39 by SaMoKo.

More
06 Apr 2012 03:35 #121916 by red black
Samurai Battles and Crown of Roses out of the ones soon to be released.

Moderators: Gary Sax
Time to create page: 0.171 seconds