October 09, 2023
2290 0
O
oliverkinne
October 06, 2023
2507 0

Outback Crossing Review

Board Game Reviews
Bugs: Recent Topics Paging, Uploading Images & Preview (11 Dec 2020)

Recent Topics paging, uploading images and preview bugs require a patch which has not yet been released.

× For those who like to push chits.

Dawn Patrol / Blue Max

More
17 Jun 2013 13:09 #154378 by Mr. White
Similar to the Wooden Ships thread elsewhere, I've been looking at these older titles. Dog gave me some great info on BGG about DP, but I'm also reading that Blue Max is getting a reprint.

Now, I love WoG: WWI but sometimes I'd like something with a little more crunch or is better suited for just two (and has a smaller footprint). The campaign system with pilots in Dawn Patrol is very enticing but a new edition of Blue Max could also nudge it ahead.

Any others have experience with these titles? Dawn Patrol or Blue Max?

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

More
17 Jun 2013 13:23 #154379 by the_jake_1973
I think I still have a copy of Blue Max hanging around. I used to enjoy playing that quite a bit. The chit drawing for damage was an enjoyable mechanic.

More
17 Jun 2013 17:21 #154409 by moofrank
Replied by moofrank on topic Re: Dawn Patrol / Blue Max
The worst problem with Blue Max is that you can google Canvas Eagles and get a game that is SO close and possibly slightly more playable. For free. Then buy some minis.

Blue Max is the more interesting game, btw. Dawn Patrol is focused on pilots and skill rolls and shows its RPG roots. Blue Max has the more interesting maneuvers, more accurate plane models, and the more interesting damage system.

More
17 Jun 2013 17:22 #154410 by Bull Nakano
How do these games compare to Wings of War? WoW stuff has been super cheap since X-wing came out, I scored a pretty solid collection of 8 planes for $20 from an old grog at my gaming club who was moving on to X-Wing. Do these older titles offer much over WoW?

More
17 Jun 2013 17:36 #154413 by bomber
Replied by bomber on topic Re: Dawn Patrol / Blue Max
Blue Max is simpler and is hex based which makes movement a bit simpler, not necessarily a bad thing. You can play online free at youplay.it, its pretty good and the counters are gorgeous. I will probably get rid of BM since you can just keep the rules and play with minis, I have a hexmap poster print for that, also I have Wings of War and the minis are awesome. Rather than buy BM, just download Canvas Eagles rules and play with WoW minis, get a hotmatz or poster print hexmap if you want that or use the WoW system which is pretty close to those games anyway and has all the stuff you need.
The following user(s) said Thank You: Almalik

More
17 Jun 2013 20:45 #154454 by Dogmatix
Replied by Dogmatix on topic Re: Dawn Patrol / Blue Max

moofrank wrote: The worst problem with Blue Max is that you can google Canvas Eagles and get a game that is SO close and possibly slightly more playable. For free. Then buy some minis.

Blue Max is the more interesting game, btw. Dawn Patrol is focused on pilots and skill rolls and shows its RPG roots. Blue Max has the more interesting maneuvers, more accurate plane models, and the more interesting damage system.

Yea, I mostly agree with this. We loved Dawn Patrol but we were also coming to it from an RPG background back then. Same with Car Wars--it was an RPG for us. I would say, however, that, as a result we felt more *invested* in Dawn Patrol than in Blue Max. Max felt like a "game"; but Dawn Patrol more of a campaign where we had some actual emotional investment in the pilots and planes. We also house-ruled an awful lot of additional campaign-related stuff into DP as a result.

Thing about the Blue Max reprint is that it's been talked about for, roughly speaking, a million years. They pulled the Vassal module down at the game designer's request because of the alleged reprint...but I haven't seen much actual movement toward publication. I think it was an Italian company that was reprinting it, so I may not be hunting in the right places.

I would also toss out there that Yaquinto's Wings is reasonably comparable to Blue Max and is more accessible through the uglier Excalibre reprint.

More
19 Jun 2013 02:00 #154586 by Brewmiester
We played Blue Max with 1/72nd models on telescoping rods on the old Battle Masters maps. Had a great time with a long running campaign but if a two seater can get a few skills they are killers. Canvas Eagles and Wings also look good but all we ever played was Blue Max.

More
19 Jun 2013 13:12 #154607 by the_jake_1973
I've done the same Brew. The Fiddler's Green paper models are a great way to get a cheap aerodrome.

More
19 Jun 2013 15:59 #154624 by Brewmiester

the_jake_1973 wrote: I've done the same Brew. The Fiddler's Green paper models are a great way to get a cheap aerodrome.

You are right Jake. Unfortunately I suck at paper models.

More
15 Sep 2014 12:44 #187069 by Calandale
Blue Max is outstanding. It's also not terribly good in two.

Moderators: Gary Sax
Time to create page: 0.351 seconds