October 09, 2023
2291 0
O
oliverkinne
October 06, 2023
2509 0

Outback Crossing Review

Board Game Reviews
Bugs: Recent Topics Paging, Uploading Images & Preview (11 Dec 2020)

Recent Topics paging, uploading images and preview bugs require a patch which has not yet been released.

× For those who like to push chits.

"Big" News From Multi-Man Headquarters

More
06 Nov 2014 20:52 - 06 Nov 2014 21:19 #190140 by Sagrilarus
Email from Multiman Publishing indicates that both Warriors of God and A Victory Lost are to be reprinted. In fact the email states, "both A Victory Lost and Warriors of God are in production and should be available shortly." Given Multiman's history of not reprinting things I can only assume there's a hostage situation and we should agree to buy so that no one gets hurt.

These are two designs out of Japan:

Warriors of God comes from Makoto Nakajima, designer of Taiheiki, considered the classic wargame of Japan. "WofG" is one of the games that recently made my (and a few other members') Group of Ten list, and for good reason. This is a game that carefully works the phase order to make you make many challenging decisions on each turn, and to take care not to overreach due to odd twists of fate that the game kicks out at you on short notice. Throw in an absolutely beautiful presentation and you have one hell of a package. A Charles S. Roberts Pre-WWII Era Board Game Award winner in 2008 (up against España 1936, Manoeuvre, Pursuit of Glory and Unhappy King Charles! -- that is one fine graduating class)

A Victory Lost is from noted designer Tetsuya Nakamura (a personal favorite) who has just under 40 titles published including Storm Over Stalingrad, Fire in the Sky, A Most Dangerous Time in Japan and a new personal favorite of mine What Price Glory?. It won the Charles S. Roberts Best WWII Wargame award in 2006 and the James Dunnigan award as well. This one one big game, and I mean that in three or four different ways. Six hours on a huge map with a grand scale. Nakamura may be one of the more under-appreciated designers in the business today.

In the News For Andy category, The Devil's Cauldron is due to return to Multi-Man's pre-order list soon, a game that has been pulling serious coin from those who missed it the first time around. A Victory Lost is big, but Devil's Cauldron may actually make it look smaller, which is no simple trick. This is a package you could hide behind in a firefight. But a short playtime makes this in reach for a weekday evening. I haven't played personally, but the game has positively stellar ratings.

That is all.

S.
Last edit: 06 Nov 2014 21:19 by Sagrilarus.
The following user(s) said Thank You: JoelCFC25

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

More
06 Nov 2014 21:27 #190143 by JoelCFC25
Thanks for posting this. Someone at BGG just referenced this news obliquely but didn't cite a source, and as expected nary a whimper about this can be found on Consimworld or MMP's own website.

More
06 Nov 2014 21:54 #190145 by Dr. Mabuse
Sweet Baal, I want WoG back on my shelf and I had the AVL rulebook on file for a couple of years until it went out of print. Big news indeed!

More
06 Nov 2014 22:15 #190147 by Mr. White
I've bought and sold WoG twice now. I simply wasn't able to get it played. Can someone tell me why I should give it another go over, say Richard III?

More
06 Nov 2014 23:41 - 06 Nov 2014 23:42 #190153 by ThirstyMan
Yes. we aren't going to talk about The Devil's Cauldron because I spent a shitload of money on it and I don't want to hear about reprints. Never one to hoard games and resell, in the hope of profit making (you want to do this, there are far safer options than friggin' board games), I'm still a bit peed off that MM could not have hinted on a reprint when they were all going for $500.

Thanks a lot guys, for artificially bumping the secondary market up.
Last edit: 06 Nov 2014 23:42 by ThirstyMan.

More
07 Nov 2014 00:36 #190154 by Not Sure
Cool. I have WoG on my shelf (I think I bought it from Barnes eons ago), but it's such a great light wargame that it shouldn't be out of print and going for dumb prices.

I wish Warriors of Japan would ever see the light of day. That would be a nice partner for it on the permanent shelf.
The following user(s) said Thank You: Msample

More
07 Nov 2014 06:37 - 07 Nov 2014 06:40 #190158 by Matt Thrower
Wait, what? Since when does a multi map behemoth like Devil's Cauldron fit into an evening's play?

AVL is one of my biggest gaming disappointments. CCrawlingly slow paced and cumbersome, and not much fun for the Axis player who is restricted to organising a cohesive retreat. Don't understand the love for it at all.
Last edit: 07 Nov 2014 06:40 by Matt Thrower.

More
07 Nov 2014 09:06 #190167 by Sagrilarus

MattDP wrote: Wait, what? Since when does a multi map behemoth like Devil's Cauldron fit into an evening's play?

To clarify, the game is broken into three separate pieces and each can be played separately. If you want to play to whole campaign you're talking a dozen sessions, but the "game-ettes" can play in a single sitting. Andy can likely speak to it in more detail, provided he's still on speaking terms with MMP.

S.

More
07 Nov 2014 09:17 #190169 by DukeofChutney
good snews. I saw this posted over on TOS though from the comments it appears Devils Cauldron is less definite than WoG.

More
07 Nov 2014 09:44 #190172 by san il defanso
This is pretty exciting. I've wanted to take a crack at Warriors of God just based on how much Sag enjoys it. Do we know when these reprints are dropping?

More
07 Nov 2014 09:58 #190173 by Chapel

Mr. White wrote: I've bought and sold WoG twice now. I simply wasn't able to get it played. Can someone tell me why I should give it another go over, say Richard III?

Going to BGG.CON? I'll play it with you if you are.

More
07 Nov 2014 10:50 #190178 by Msample
No, but I wouldn't expect much more detail til after Winter Offensive in mid January.

More
07 Nov 2014 11:36 #190180 by Sagrilarus
Multi-Man prefers the "sneak attack" approach to release dates. They won't be able to give you a firm date on release until it's released.

If it was me I would have this up on the P500 list right now. No sense having people buy through intermediaries if you don't need to. Just checked, not there.

S.

More
07 Nov 2014 12:14 #190186 by Rafael Silva
That's the one I'm going with! Well timed!

More
07 Nov 2014 15:13 - 07 Nov 2014 15:17 #190213 by Sagrilarus
From Adam Starkweather, chief cook on the International Game Series line regarding Warriors of God's sister game Warriors of Japan, that has been on preorder for a few years now but is still about 60 away --

There might be news about WoJ coming...

I can say I asked MMP if they wanted me to write about it in the latest newsletter - and they said "not yet"...but there was a good reason that has nothing to do with the pre pub numbers.

My goodness.

Starkweather is also the designer of Devil's Cauldron by the way. That's most likely an odd coincidence, but it may be that he's the one holding the hostages in Millersville.
"Reprint my games or Shep gets it."
Last edit: 07 Nov 2014 15:17 by Sagrilarus.

Moderators: Gary Sax
Time to create page: 1.917 seconds