October 09, 2023
2291 0
O
oliverkinne
October 06, 2023
2508 0

Outback Crossing Review

Board Game Reviews
Bugs: Recent Topics Paging, Uploading Images & Preview (11 Dec 2020)

Recent Topics paging, uploading images and preview bugs require a patch which has not yet been released.

× For those who like to push chits.

MMP GTS news

More
16 Aug 2018 12:47 #279911 by Gary Sax
MMP GTS news was created by Gary Sax
www.multimanpublishing.com/News/tabid/82/Default.aspx

So they're combining Devil's Cauldron and Where Eagles Dare into a single package. MMP is doing this weird thing, they must be looking at their books, where outside of ASL they combine their new products into these MONSTER 200-300 dollar packages. It must make financial sense to them, but it makes their products crazy intimidating to preorder or buy... unless you already know you love the system. I bought the 200+ dollar GCACW package, which featured two games which *were themselves* big combined module games...

Anyway, I know repo adores this series, we played it together once via VASSAL and it did some very interesting/unusual things.

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

More
16 Aug 2018 15:38 #279923 by fightcitymayor
Replied by fightcitymayor on topic MMP GTS news
It's interesting to watch when an industry segment creeps prices higher. Kinda like the morbid fascination of a Nascar wreck, or a hockey fight, or a car crash: Will they survive? Can they win? Will they even be able to walk away intact?!?! But in the era of $150 KS plastic minis games that steadfastly refuse to go away, it makes some sense that companies like MMP test the Grognards wallets with their own pumped up gaming packages. Anecdotally, I rarely see Grognards of the MMP variety complain too much about anything being too expensive to buy. They may kvetch, but ultimately it ends up on their shelf.

Reminds me of Econ 101:
Price Elastic: If a small change in price is accompanied by a large change in quantity demanded.
Price Inelastic: If a large change in price is accompanied by a small amount of change in quantity demanded.
The following user(s) said Thank You: Gary Sax

More
16 Aug 2018 16:10 #279925 by Count Orlok
Replied by Count Orlok on topic MMP GTS news
Honestly, I'm pretty surprised it's taken wargame companies this long to come to this conclusion. They seem to have a small rabid fanbase that already owns too many games, so I can certainly see the logic of trying to sell deluxe or exclusive editions. It's kind of interesting to think of how the p500 and other pre-order platforms presage kickstarter in some ways, although obviously without all the bells and whistles.
The following user(s) said Thank You: JoelCFC25, Gary Sax

More
16 Aug 2018 16:41 #279927 by repoman
Replied by repoman on topic MMP GTS news
I do love this system. It is fantastic. The production values are superb and it is absolutely gorgeous.

Updated rules, charts, maps? Now I'm interested. The system was smooth as glass before so I'm not sure what the updated rules add. But they have been used in their other games Greatest Day and Mercury so it's not like they are cobbled together.

As to the price. If it is indeed in the $300 range, that is actually a discount from what the two would have sold for separately.
This game is going to be massive. I mean phenomenally huge. Devil's Cauldron would barely fit on my living room floor let alone a table and add Where Eagles Dare. That's crazy big. So that means playing the physical copy is a convention only experience for most of us. BUT THAT WOULD BE AWESOME!!! A bunch of players each taking control of a division!

Of course there is Vassal for any kind of realistic play.

So I am interested. With a projected delivery date of next September, rather some nebulous time in the future, I am even more interested. Much will depend on the actual pre order price.

Yah Yah... I know it's not Cthulu Wars or anything where you'd pay as much to have all those lovely globs of plastic with multiple toothy vaginas to play with but you know...us war gamers are just a small rabid fan base after all.
The following user(s) said Thank You: Gary Sax, birdman37

More
16 Aug 2018 19:00 #279941 by Gary Sax
Replied by Gary Sax on topic MMP GTS news
I feel the same way about GCACW, so I know where you're coming from Repo. Antietam AND Gettysburg in the same package with updated balance? As well as a HUGE Atlanta campaign? Well worth it if you're into this stuff.

More
17 Aug 2018 01:32 #279955 by Hadik
Replied by Hadik on topic MMP GTS news

Count Orlok wrote: Honestly, I'm pretty surprised it's taken wargame companies this long to come to this conclusion. They seem to have a small rabid fanbase that already owns too many games, so I can certainly see the logic of trying to sell deluxe or exclusive editions.

Trial of Strength comes to mind. An East Front mini-monster that Dave O’Connor (Panther Games) created in the mid 1980s because he felt Drang Nacht Osten and Fire In The East were a bit broken. ToS was innovative for its time, though still pretty crunchy by today’s standards. Used copies are available for around $150. O’Connor moved into PC Wargames in the 1990s creating Highway to the Reich and the follow-on titles under the Command Ops names published by matrix Games (when David Heath owned it). Heath sold Matrix to Slitherine and bought Lock ‘N Load publishing. LnL now sells Panther’s digital catalog and they are planning on republishing ToS later this year with new artwork and revised OOB but virtually unchanged rules AFAIK (manual is pushing 90 pages). While it won’t be a price premium game, it certainly has the “small rabid fan base” going for it.

More
18 Aug 2018 16:24 - 18 Aug 2018 21:03 #280024 by Cranberries
Replied by Cranberries on topic MMP GTS news

repoman wrote:
Yah Yah... I know it's not Cthulu Wars or anything where you'd pay as much to have all those lovely globs of plastic with multiple toothy vaginas to play with but you know...us war gamers are just a small rabid fan base after all.

This is hilarious.
Last edit: 18 Aug 2018 21:03 by Cranberries.

Moderators: Gary Sax
Time to create page: 0.640 seconds