October 09, 2023
2289 0
O
oliverkinne
October 06, 2023
2505 0

Outback Crossing Review

Board Game Reviews
Bugs: Recent Topics Paging, Uploading Images & Preview (11 Dec 2020)

Recent Topics paging, uploading images and preview bugs require a patch which has not yet been released.

× For those who like to push chits.

Wargame on Chinese States?

More
15 Feb 2008 17:49 #2846 by mikelawson
Ever since I first got interested in the period of the unification of China under the 1st Emperor, I've thought that this period would be perfect for a multiplayer wargame. Yes, I know that the Japanese Period of Warring States is more well known and there are some games out there on it, but this early period of Chinese history would seem perfect for a good wargame (or AT-style game).

Is there anything that covers this period out there? I haven't really found anything yet, but that doesn't mean that it's not there.

--Mike L.

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

More
15 Feb 2008 22:21 #2863 by BigLizard
I had a PC wargame some years back that had an early China scenario option on it. Simple game but lots of fun to play. Can't remember the name, and I must have tossed it since I can't find it now.

Otherwise I'm not aware of anything.

BillN

More
16 Feb 2008 01:29 #2870 by SenorOcho
I don't know of anything for the Warring States/Middle Kingdom period either... Not really surprising since there aren't even any good Three Kingdoms Romance games out there.

I did pick up a pretty neat RPG on the subject though - Qin: The Warring States. Made by some French company though, and none of the books other than the main rulebook have been translated...

More
16 Feb 2008 01:41 #2872 by mikelawson
I was kind of thinking that what I'm looking for isn't out there. This might actually be a chance to tinker around with some game design ideas.

--Mike L.

More
16 Feb 2008 20:54 #2894 by thdizzy
This might be something we have to create ourselves. You have the power to make it happen!

More
17 Feb 2008 20:28 #2912 by mikelawson
Okay, then which direction to go in? Strickly trashy fun, or more CDG and historically driven?

My first temptation would be to weigh Chin heavier than the other states, a-la The Napoleonic Wars, so that the emphasis is trying to gang up on Chin. Historically speaking, once Chin's armies got rolling, they were superior in both technology and tactics to the other warring states. However, if enough other states ganged up on Chin, they could have easily reached a stalemate.

If we don't want a purely historical game and want to emphasize the trashiness of the game, you could end up with a game similar to MB Gamesmaster's Shogun, with more purely Chinese flavor thrown in.

--Mike L.

More
20 Feb 2008 08:32 #3047 by Schweig!
Ah, if only I had the time (and skill) I would have already designed a "Romance of the Three Kingdoms" boardgame. I had some great ideas, including a card driven battle system, and other Leader/Heroes centred game mechanics loosely based on the SNES games.

More
20 Feb 2008 10:38 #3052 by thdizzy
I wouldn't mind if it were only loosely based on the history and ran something like Twilight Imperium except without a randomized board. One thing that it would definitely need is leaders. Perhaps some sort of leader cards that work similar to the planet cards in Twilight Imperium. You could send out leaders (exhaust the cards) to accomplish certain tasks.

More
20 Feb 2008 11:38 #3056 by mikelawson
One thing that would have to be emphasized would be assassination attempts; as Chin became stronger, other states started sending out assassins to take out the Chin leadership.

Another possibility for items would be the emphasis on leaders vs. followers. In that, I mean a mechanic similar to Talisman in that you can accumulate advisors for your faction, but each advisor has a different impact: one may allow you to increase control over your state, but at the cost of losing some income due to the strangehold over the economy.

Hmm. That's an idea: more than one way to skin a cat. You could lose by your armies in the field being eliminated, and you could lose by having your faction lose control over your state. Assassinations could be directed at your generals in the field, at your advisors, or at you (and your family) as leaders of the faction. If your leadership absorbs a certain number of successful assassination attempts, your leadership collapses and you lose. You then have to spend money on personal bodyguards to defend against assassination attempts.

--Mike L.

More
20 Feb 2008 22:35 - 20 Feb 2008 22:37 #3077 by BigLizard
That kinda sounds like the Total War series of PC games. I often try to overthrow other factions in that game by killing off their leaders and heirs and bribing their armies. Lots of fun. TW might be a model to follow in a very broad sense since it, too, starts with several factions each with their own stengths and weaknesses.

Just how many states are we dealing with? I just wonder how many players this game is going to have. Two: Chin vs everyone else? Or multi-player: a player for each faction? or maybe groups of factions for a smaller number of players?

-- BillN
Last edit: 20 Feb 2008 22:37 by BigLizard.

More
21 Feb 2008 10:11 #3110 by mikelawson
By the time of the final part of the Era of Warring States, there were seven: the Qi, the Chu, the Yan, the Han, the Zhao, the Wei and the Qin (aka Chin).

A 2-4 player game would probably be Chin vs. everyone else, or Chin vs. some of the others with the rest neutral (and could come into the war on either side). Once you get up to 5 players, however, it could devolve into a regular Civ/Dip style multiplayer game.

--Mike L.

More
21 Feb 2008 10:27 #3113 by thdizzy
All this talk of assassinations makes me remember the old Koei game, Nobunaga's Revenge. Assassination played a big role in that. Are we going for a multiple paths to victory sort of game? How many paths would there be?

Moderators: Gary Sax
Time to create page: 0.192 seconds