October 09, 2023
2289 0
O
oliverkinne
October 06, 2023
2505 0

Outback Crossing Review

Board Game Reviews
Bugs: Recent Topics Paging, Uploading Images & Preview (11 Dec 2020)

Recent Topics paging, uploading images and preview bugs require a patch which has not yet been released.

× For those who like to push chits.

Anyone out there with Bonaparte @ Marengo & Napoleon's Triumph who could answer a question?

More
14 Jan 2008 23:43 - 03 Feb 2008 23:09 #696 by Dogmatix
Ok folks. So, though I said "does the world really need another Napoleonics game" in the thread about Eisenbach Gap, I meant "other than whatever Simmons Games is cranking out."

I came a little late to the Nouveau Wargame party [blocks? no hexes? Seemed like heresy to me]. After watching B@M being played a few months back, though, I thought it was a great idea (and I'm not usually much for Napoleonics). So, I downloaded the rules to B@M and went hunting for a copy. Apparently, however, I missed out on B@M when it was available at a sane price.

So, instead, I went and bought myself a copy of Napoleon's Triumph, figuring "same drug, larger dose." [Or, as my dear old dad likes to say, "if 1 hit is pretty good, and 2 is great, then 6 is about where I like to start..."]

Now, after d/l'ing and looking at the B@M rules, and my NT box, I wrote to Simmons and asked if they had any B@M replacement maps for sale. They did.

So, am I missing something or, between the rules I downloaded, the Napoleon's Triumph bits and the B@M map I bought...do I now own a full copy of Bonaparte of Marengo save the freakin' box? It sure seems that way from the rules, but I don't actually know anyone with a copy of the game to check it out for myself...

If not, what bits might I be missing?

(Otherwise, I don't understand why Simmons isn't be offering copies of NT bundled with the B@M map [at an additional fee of course] through their website for direct purchase. Latecoming idiots like me could get both games in one box and they could move a few more copies at a much higher margin through direct sales...]
Last edit: 03 Feb 2008 23:09 by Dogmatix.

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

More
14 Jan 2008 23:48 #697 by Ken B.
I haven't compared piece counts, but assuming they match up, I don't see why not. You'd need to verify you have the right number of cavalry, infantry, and artillery to match up the numbers, plus enough to do downgrades as casualties are inflicted.

The systems are very similar, and I'm pretty sure Napoleon comes with more pieces, so you might just be good to go. If you need a piece count, let me know...but when you get your map, first make sure you can fill all the reinforcements on the board, then make sure you have sufficient pieces for casualties as the game wears on.

I really like Bonaparte at Marengo. I was lucky to pick up a copy in trade and the system is just so genius. Plus, Bowen Simmons is an ultra-nice guy who goes out of his way to support his games. He may be one of the nicest designers I've ever interacted with. He patiently answered my newbie questions and I've watched him do it time and time again, just as nice each time.

More
15 Jan 2008 00:38 #700 by Dogmatix
Thanks Ken. I just got the map, so I'll set it up over the next few days and make sure I have enough bits. Considering that NT is a fair bit larger in scope, I suspect I'll have more than enough to play B@M.

And, having just barely scratched the surface with NT, this really *is* a brilliant idea. And, thanks, too for the insight on Bowen. I'm always a little afraid of approaching designers that frequent player-community websites. For every Bowen Simmons and Andrea Angiolino [Wings of War co-designer], there seem to be more than enough of the Winsomegricola types around. If I wanted to eat shit, I'd crap on my own plate, thank you very much. ;)

More
15 Jan 2008 09:51 #713 by Michael Barnes
All right, I'm fired up now...the copy of NT I ordered is showing up today!

BaM is a masterpiece, a game that I think is almost practically invincible...the only mar is that the movement rules are bizarre to me for some reason. I can't wait to give NT a shot.

Didn't realize that BaM and NT had such similar pieces...makes sense though...he really should have done the games as a system with NT representing an upgrade kit.

More
15 Jan 2008 11:53 #740 by Schweig!
As NT has a higher unit count than B@M, I'm about 95% sure to say that you got a "full" copy of both games.

Clever idea: B@M map - the downgrade kit.

And yes, the movement rules are easier in B@M.

More
16 Jan 2008 12:08 #829 by jur
What I understood when I bought NT (at Essen) is that the combat system was heavily redesigned from B@M, reason why the guy advised me to buy NT.

The commanders should be rather different, but if you dont mind printing your own, it shouldn't be a problem.

Still have to play the game though... :(

More
01 Feb 2008 07:10 #1736 by Notahandle
Thanks for the great idea of getting the BaM map separately. I went for NT instead of BaM because I'd concluded it had refined the system to remove the few oddities. The only downside is that no one has a large enough table! The design style, to have the look and feel of maps of the period, is superb, sheer genius.

More
01 Feb 2008 10:06 #1748 by Notahandle
I emailed Bowen and the reply was that the spare maps are reserved for people who bought BaM and need replacements due to damage. Which is very reasonable. He suggested downloading and printing a copy of the BaM map. He replied in less than three hours, that's excellent service. If anyone's thinking about buying NT, you certainly won't be disappointed.

More
11 Feb 2008 07:50 #2363 by colleen
Can you use the BaM pieces for NT? I have BaM and have been looking to buy NT, but could try printing a map and using the BaM pieces. Great post!

More
11 Feb 2008 10:00 #2380 by Juniper
colleen wrote:

Can you use the BaM pieces for NT? I have BaM and have been looking to buy NT, but could try printing a map and using the BaM pieces. Great post!

No. NT is a much bigger game. BaM has 80 wooden blocks. NT has 140 blocks and 18 metal commanders.

Moderators: Gary Sax
Time to create page: 0.134 seconds