October 09, 2023
2289 0
O
oliverkinne
October 06, 2023
2505 0

Outback Crossing Review

Board Game Reviews
Bugs: Recent Topics Paging, Uploading Images & Preview (11 Dec 2020)

Recent Topics paging, uploading images and preview bugs require a patch which has not yet been released.

× Talk about Eurogames here.

It's finally happened

More
20 Jan 2008 12:39 #1163 by vandemonium
Puerto Rico has jumped the shark for me. My aunt asked to play it - we hadn't played it over a year. I wanted to play Tigris and Euphrates (we just recently got the game).

I was bored out of my mind. It didn't help that my son had the Pixar Cars movie in the background. I took two minute turns and then watched Cars. I still almost won, my uncle beat me by one point.

>meh<

That's all. Carry on.

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

More
20 Jan 2008 16:36 #1167 by Rliyen
Replied by Rliyen on topic Re:It's finally happened
Where shall I send the card and flowers as condolences?

More
20 Jan 2008 16:37 #1168 by Mr Skeletor
PR is a great design that gets old after about 5 plays. You are just far too limited in your control in the game.

More
21 Jan 2008 10:13 #1188 by Schweig!
Replied by Schweig! on topic Re:It's finally happened
I'm happy I inferred the same after only 1 game.

More
21 Jan 2008 12:04 #1196 by Juniper
Replied by Juniper on topic Re:It's finally happened
Fun! This is turning into a "how many times did you play Puerto Rico before it got boring" thread. In my case, I think it was between six and ten. Not bad, actually, but not great, either.

I've never tried the expansion.

More
21 Jan 2008 12:20 #1199 by Rliyen
Replied by Rliyen on topic Re:It's finally happened
Juniper wrote:

Fun! This is turning into a "how many times did you play Puerto Rico before it got boring" thread. In my case, I think it was between six and ten. Not bad, actually, but not great, either.

I've never tried the expansion.

Once was all it took for me.

More
21 Jan 2008 12:25 #1200 by Michael Barnes
It took me a little while...at the time, I was really interested in the mechanics and through about 15 games I thought it was pretty great. But then I started to realize that it was completely and utterly meaningless, nothing but mechanics with no heart, soul, or passion whatsoever.

I still think, as a purely mechanical game, that it's good. It's influential, and significant- particuarly because it's the one game we could probably point out is this origin of the "BGG style" game that pretty much killed the Eurogame era.

I just have zero desire to ever play the game again. It's pointless, unless you really dig slavery.

More
21 Jan 2008 12:40 #1203 by Juniper
Replied by Juniper on topic Re:It's finally happened
it's the one game we could probably point out is this origin of the "BGG style" game that pretty much killed the Eurogame era.

Yes. I think that the process started with PUERTO RICO and reached its conclusion with CAYLUS. Maybe PRINCES OF FLORENCE deserves mention, too for laying the groundwork.

More
22 Jan 2008 16:51 #1252 by vandemonium
Part of the problem was the amount of down time and I was just generally in a pissy mood.

I still think it is a good game and I'll play it now and again.

As far as Michael's "heart and soul" - I dunno, man - I've heard you say this before and I guess I see what you are saying to a degree but really ANY game is an abstraction and I think it was Michael Dean who said theme in Euros is ambiance - and I think that is right on. So no, it is not a game you play for the theme that is true but I wasn't bored because of lack of theme - I was bored by downtime and the fact that it just seemed old hat to me. I've probably played it upwards 15 - 20 times but not for over a year and I guess it just didn't spin my gears this last time at all. I am still amazed by how balanced it is - one of the games that really seems to have been thought out o the nth degree.

Anyhoo, it is still a great game I think I just need some time apart from it. Let's call it a trial separation shall we?
Cheers,
Van

More
22 Jan 2008 17:00 #1255 by TheDukester
One play for me.

PR is a great puzzle ... but it's not much of a game.

More
22 Jan 2008 17:36 #1260 by jeb
Replied by jeb on topic Re:It's finally happened
I still dig it--it's an awesome time waster at work--I have that Excel macro running at least once a week.

Playing with folks has become really mechanical though--for all the little bits the game has... you'd hope they would -do- something. You just shuffle them around and sigh. BORING.

More
24 Jan 2008 02:39 #1343 by mikoyan
Replied by mikoyan on topic Re:It's finally happened
I still like the game but it could still use some more randomness. The only randomness is the plantations you can draw from. Even that's not particularly random. It should have something like bumper crops...droughts, etc.

More
24 Jan 2008 15:47 #1400 by southernman
... or a slave revolt :-)
That'd get all those 'careful & correct' gamers in a frenzy !!

Moderators: Gary Sax
Time to create page: 0.176 seconds