October 09, 2023
2291 0
O
oliverkinne
October 06, 2023
2510 0

Outback Crossing Review

Board Game Reviews
Bugs: Recent Topics Paging, Uploading Images & Preview (11 Dec 2020)

Recent Topics paging, uploading images and preview bugs require a patch which has not yet been released.

× Talk about Eurogames here.

Worker placement

More
12 Jun 2015 12:14 #204104 by SuperflyPete
Replied by SuperflyPete on topic Worker placement

Shellhead wrote:

Green gogol wrote: Kingsport Festival don't seem too popular. Been released for a few months now, and the score on bgg is pretty low,

It's quite a puzzle to choose the next game.

The Lovecraft theme caught my attention, but it ultimately looked like an overly fiddly worker placement game with a pasted-on theme. In all fairness, many worker placement games have a pasted-on theme, but this board just looks like a fancy flow chart.

Sons of Anarchy has gotten some attention in this thread, and for good reason. The ability to directly attack enemy workers is crucial, because it replaces the typical passive aggressiveness of worker placement with very direct player interaction. And the theme and setting is completed integrated in Sons of Anarchy because the designers clearly started with theme first, where most worker placement designs obviously start as a set of mechanics with theme as merely a visual design consideration.

Kingsport is a straight up retheme of Kingsburg with some bells and whistles. If you like Kingsport (I do) you'll probably like it.

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

More
12 Jun 2015 13:29 #204112 by Shellhead
Replied by Shellhead on topic Worker placement
Kingsburg looks like a beige spreadsheet. When I see people playing it, everybody is quiet and focused. Not my kind of game.
The following user(s) said Thank You: SuperflyPete

More
13 Jun 2015 11:27 #204203 by Sevej
Replied by Sevej on topic Worker placement

SuperflyTNT wrote:

Sevej wrote: Gah, in a worker-placement bind right now.

I love Agricola. I really do. But looking at the price of Farmers of the Moor, I'm thinking whether it's better to just buy Agricola ACBAS.

I ~LOVE~ WP games, and I play Agricola once a day or so on my iPhone. Love it. But, if you're looking to replace it, Caverna is better. It's like they looked at 'Gric, found what sucked, and made those things better, punctuated by a slapped on DIFFERENT theme.

I've been playing the shit out of Hoodrats. I'm about to send it to an interested publisher, and it is literally the pinnacle of "Hybrid". It's a worker placement game with a shitload of luck, hard-fought combat, and with drug dealing, petty larceny, and prostitution. It's the game Men of Mayhem wished it was.

Not gonna happen. Can't justify shelling out another $100 for Caverna. I'm not going down that road of replacing games with better games.
The following user(s) said Thank You: SuperflyPete

More
22 Aug 2015 21:09 - 22 Aug 2015 21:11 #209050 by King Grunt
Replied by King Grunt on topic Worker placement
If you want a worker placement game with a lot of conflict and opportunity for player interaction, I recommend the following:
  • The Manhattan Project
  • Argent: The Consortium
  • Sons of Anarchy
Keyflower is a hybrid game with a lot of neat mechanics if you want a more "peaceful" option. Worker placement, auctions, tile placement, etc. Still has some opportunity for messing with other's plans by outbidding them on a tile, or locking down a tile by placing 3 workers down on it. Good game, but not great.

I also own Village and Viticulture, but haven't played them yet so no recommendation.
Last edit: 22 Aug 2015 21:11 by King Grunt.
The following user(s) said Thank You: ChristopherMD

More
22 Aug 2015 21:14 #209053 by SuperflyPete
Replied by SuperflyPete on topic Worker placement
Alien frontier is the antithesis of mathy. Whomever said that has very little clue about the game.

Something like The Village or Stone Age would be a good fit based on your comments.

More
23 Aug 2015 09:57 - 23 Aug 2015 10:00 #209065 by wkover
Replied by wkover on topic Worker placement

King Grunt wrote: If you want a worker placement game with a lot of conflict and opportunity for player interaction, I recommend the following:

• The Manhattan Project
  • Argent: The Consortium
  • Sons of Anarchy

I would add Age of Empires III to this list. (Now called Age of Discovery?)

I generally don't like area control or worker placement games (i.e., I hate all of them), but I do like AoE III.

Edit: "A lot" of conflict in AoE might be an overstatement, but there is some.
Last edit: 23 Aug 2015 10:00 by wkover.

Moderators: Gary Sax
Time to create page: 0.155 seconds