October 09, 2023
2291 0
O
oliverkinne
October 06, 2023
2509 0

Outback Crossing Review

Board Game Reviews
Bugs: Recent Topics Paging, Uploading Images & Preview (11 Dec 2020)

Recent Topics paging, uploading images and preview bugs require a patch which has not yet been released.

× Talk about Eurogames here.

Shall we discuss? JAMAICA

More
11 Jun 2014 10:16 #180240 by VonTush
A La Carte is fantastic.
One of my Perma-Shelf family games.
The expansion is great because it adds a fifth player, as far as the expansion bits though I haven't even used them with the family yet.

As a side note, I keep reading: Shall we discuss? JICAMA

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

More
11 Jun 2014 10:46 #180241 by Michael Barnes
$37.50 for it, dessert expansion and the mini Bellaige thing sounds like a plum deal...talked the guy down from $40.

More
11 Jun 2014 13:16 - 11 Jun 2014 13:18 #180260 by Mr. White

Michael Barnes wrote: I totally forgot about A La Carte...hopefully it's not another OOP, Amazon seller listing at $199 things...

How did this thread turn into me spending a bunch of money?

THANKS OBAMA

Well...if your kids are anything like mine...you don't need to spend a bunch of money. My family basically cycles through the same 5-6 games. The kids are ecstatic to play _anything_ with us, so pulling out Monza or Zooloretto for the umpteenth time is no biggie. The kids never ask for games we don't have. They never ask for new games or that they're bored with ours. It's always me borrowing some from a buddy or asking around for the next title to get.

Different strokes and all, but I know for myself I have to remember this so I don't build up a large collection of kid/family games. I have to give myself pause as I want to be careful not to unconsciously train them to desire more and more. Don't want to feed the consumer mentality as it were.

Again though, I think this goes back to me not wanting to raise 'gamers', but 'games as one of many things we do'.

YMMV
Last edit: 11 Jun 2014 13:18 by Mr. White.
The following user(s) said Thank You: scissors, Gary Sax

More
11 Jun 2014 21:38 #180317 by ubarose

Jeff White wrote:

Michael Barnes wrote: I totally forgot about A La Carte...hopefully it's not another OOP, Amazon seller listing at $199 things...

How did this thread turn into me spending a bunch of money?

THANKS OBAMA

Well...if your kids are anything like mine...you don't need to spend a bunch of money. My family basically cycles through the same 5-6 games. The kids are ecstatic to play _anything_ with us, so pulling out Monza or Zooloretto for the umpteenth time is no biggie. The kids never ask for games we don't have. They never ask for new games or that they're bored with ours. It's always me borrowing some from a buddy or asking around for the next title to get.

Different strokes and all, but I know for myself I have to remember this so I don't build up a large collection of kid/family games. I have to give myself pause as I want to be careful not to unconsciously train them to desire more and more. Don't want to feed the consumer mentality as it were.

Again though, I think this goes back to me not wanting to raise 'gamers', but 'games as one of many things we do'.

YMMV

Kids minds develop so quickly that they can grow out of a game in a month. We did a lot of borrowing, trading and giving/receiving hand-me-down games when The Spawn was young. Our favorites made it into our collection. Right now The Spawn is using the game room to study for her final exams (big table, good lighting, comfy chairs). I guess our family game section caught her eye. She just made a date with me to play Pick Picknic after her exams are over...with maybe a game of Phoenix after that. So I have no regrets over buying stuff that kept us entertained when she was young, kept her from being constantly glued to a glowing screen when she got older, and is now saving me money by keeping her out of the mall for at least one one afternoon this weekend.

Moderators: Gary Sax
Time to create page: 0.592 seconds