October 09, 2023
2450 0
O
oliverkinne
October 06, 2023
2652 0

Outback Crossing Review

Board Game Reviews
Bugs: Recent Topics Paging, Uploading Images & Preview (11 Dec 2020)

Recent Topics paging, uploading images and preview bugs require a patch which has not yet been released.

× Talk about Eurogames here.

Among Nobles - A Bloodline Building Board Game

More
18 Mar 2015 08:07 #199669 by Muyten
Hi there,

Hope it is not frowned upon to push your own games here but our new game Among Nobles is now on Kickstarter (still running for 3 more weeks).

Among Nobles, a bloodline building board game, is launching on kickstarter on March 9
Among Nobles is a card game where players establish and expand a family dynasty in feudal Europe.
Players control some of the most iconic and influential figures in the European history. Using their unique abilities cunningly is crucial in the fierce competition between the leading noble houses.
The game is won and lost in the intricate interaction between war, strategic marriages and influence at court.

Players: 3-5
Playtime: 90-120 mins.

Give it a look.
-Muyten

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

More
18 Mar 2015 08:26 #199670 by ThirstyMan
It is kind of frowned on. We do have a kickstarter policy here.

In short, pay for a banner ad like everyone else.

Start a conversation instead of just outright shilling and get an avatar in case the post gets deleted because we think it's spam.

More
18 Mar 2015 17:36 #199713 by SuperflyPete
I know this will come off as rude, and rest assured that this is not my intention, but I have a question: Why nobles? Why the fuck is it always about nobles? How utterly boring and played-the-fuck-out are nobles in boardgames? Why not make it about building the best and most influential dynasty of meerkats? Or about building the best circus? Or building the best mercenary army? Or a bunch of competing labs finding the smallest particle? Or ANYTHING BUT FUCKING NOBLES?

I want to go back in time and punch Penny Marshall in the throat for making a film with the word "Renaissance" in it at this point. Renaissance (or just Royals in general) games are 100% unimaginative and utterly insipid. It tells me, as a consumer, that the game will likely be just as novel as the theme, because if you can't be bothered to have a theme that's remotely interesting, the game design will very likely have the same lack of attention paid to it.

Again, no offense intended at all; I'm just really curious what gravity "nobles doing noble shit" has in a world where we unlock the secrets of the natural world a little more every day.

Seriously, what the actual fuck?!?!?

More
18 Mar 2015 17:59 #199714 by mads b.
Building a blood line is, I think, the core of what being a noble is all about and that way it really captures the theme. Also, it's definitely a better goal than trying to impress some duke or somesuch.

And, btw., I know the people making the game and they are a cool bunch of people who have tested the game A LOT. I haven't played it since it's really not my cup of tea being far too much a euro. But if you're into cube pushing I think you should take a look.

More
18 Mar 2015 19:36 #199718 by repoman
Well, I don't speak for the site or anybody on it other than myself but:

1) Buy a banner ad if you want to advertise your game. It costs money to run the site so fess up the pathetically low amount they ask for an ad or get the flying fuck out of here. (This does not apply to anyone who is an active participant on the site. If you are one of us it'd still be cool if you bought an ad but you could certainly mention or discuss your game without one to my way of thinking)

2) Jesus Christ, you couldn't take two seconds to get an avatar, maybe of your company logo or something. Strikes me as lazy.

3) Pete is right on about the theme. Nobles is about as original as trading in the Mediterranean. Applying my brain for a half a second how about "Far Future Eugenic Program to Create the Ultra-man". Still got the bullshit breeding idea but with a cool and novel theme. Evil cultists trying to breed the living vessel for their dread god?

4) Fuck kickstarter on principle.

More
18 Mar 2015 20:33 #199721 by Chaz
What if it was nobles trading on the Mediterranean, vying for the favor of the emperor, using the money they earn to win auctions for workers, which can be placed in order to get cards to build into an action deck?

Shit, throw in about 115 minis, and I think I may have a Kickstarter hit on my hands.
The following user(s) said Thank You: SuperflyPete

More
19 Mar 2015 19:35 #199784 by SuperflyPete
The user name is "Muyten", which I translated from Spanglish to mean "Many tens", or in context, he'll get multiple tens of backers? Maybe?

More
20 Mar 2015 03:48 #199800 by Muyten
Sorry if I broke a rule.
Didn't find anything in the rules. (perhaps I didn't look long enough)

Anyway.
1) Updated avatar, sorry it's not pretty but it is how I look :)
2) Why Nobles? Short answer: We liked the theme and it is very integrated in the game play. (We started with the theme and build the game play on that). The game we made before that was a sci-fi trading game because we liked that theme....next time it will probably be something else.
3) Muyten apparently means lots of different stuff in different languages. Here it's a nickname I somehow aquired..started with someone bastardizing my real name (Morten) and it stuck ever since for some reason.

More
20 Mar 2015 08:17 #199804 by Legomancer
Another comment on the theme.

As one of the resident SJWs here, let me just say that asking me to give a damn what a bunch of in-bred, useless, backwards-looking rich people do is a lost cause. I really could not care less if the Duke of Corgistan gets a male heir or not. Theme is important for me and a theme about making sure that nobles breed okay is right up there with a game about making sure Jack the Ripper finds the prettiest victim. I'd rather a game about breeding spiders, as they at least eat other bugs and generally leave me alone.

People who aren't societal parasites also have family trees.

More
20 Mar 2015 08:52 #199805 by Sagrilarus
Yeah, but themes like this sell to the wider audience. Everyone imagines their ancestors were nobles instead if turnip farmers.

I'm listening to lectures on 1400s England right now, and it's a big ol' mess when it comes to nobles and their failed attempts to establish bloodlines. Plenty of troublemakers in the mix that come out of nowhere. Do you put a time and a place to your families, use actual bloodlines, or is it more general in nature?

S.

Moderators: Gary Sax
Time to create page: 0.163 seconds