October 09, 2023
2291 0
O
oliverkinne
October 06, 2023
2509 0

Outback Crossing Review

Board Game Reviews
Bugs: Recent Topics Paging, Uploading Images & Preview (11 Dec 2020)

Recent Topics paging, uploading images and preview bugs require a patch which has not yet been released.

× Talk about Eurogames here.

FFG picked up Mission Red Planet

More
27 Apr 2015 11:41 #201531 by Chapel
I smell another Gearworld in the making. I played Mission Red Planet and found it rather boring. I'm surprised they even picked this one up, it's not really rated highly, and was there even any demand for it?

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

More
27 Apr 2015 11:52 #201532 by charlest

Chapel wrote: I smell another Gearworld in the making. I played Mission Red Planet and found it rather boring. I'm surprised they even picked this one up, it's not really rated highly, and was there even any demand for it?

It was very expensive on the aftermarket. Also, Tom Vasel and his crew still rave about it and list in on different top 10 lists. I think Vasel even said he wanted to publish it as part of the Dice Tower Essentials line.

More
27 Apr 2015 12:19 #201533 by Legomancer
I like MRP a lot, but it's best with 5 players and I don't think 4 other people I know like it as much as I do, so it never gets played. I'll hang on to my original.

More
27 Apr 2015 14:11 #201543 by Chapel

charlest wrote:

Chapel wrote: I smell another Gearworld in the making. I played Mission Red Planet and found it rather boring. I'm surprised they even picked this one up, it's not really rated highly, and was there even any demand for it?

It was very expensive on the aftermarket. Also, Tom Vasel and his crew still rave about it and list in on different top 10 lists. I think Vasel even said he wanted to publish it as part of the Dice Tower Essentials line.

Well that explains it. And now I am not surprised I didn't like it. That guy has terrible taste in games.

More
27 Apr 2015 14:39 #201547 by Michael Barnes
OK, Christmas sale '15 or '16? Bet on '15 to be aggressive, '16 to be conservative. '15 will be a double payout. Also accepting bets for it appear in it for the next five years.

MRP was a good game when it came out, I played it a bunch. But it is also one of those games that kind of had a time and that time passed. For about a minute last year I thought I'd like to get it again for the ERP, but then I realized that neither I nor no one I plays games with has ever fondly remembered the game or our time spent playing it. It's like a band you like for a little while but then just don't ever listen to again.

The steampunk crap wasn't nearly as irritating back when it came out because at that point Steampunk was only like seven or eight years out of date instead of over almost 20...it's been a long time since City of Lost Children. And Wild Wild West.

My favorite memory of MRP is how there was a minor uproar on BGG about the top of the box not quite fitting on the bottom. "The box is too tight" complaints. I believe Vasal was among the complainants and if I remember correctly that was in his review. It really kind of encapsulated everything that is wrong with BGG...more talk about whether or not the box fits than playing the game.
The following user(s) said Thank You: Chapel, mikecl, The*Mad*Gamer

More
27 Apr 2015 14:55 #201550 by charlest
Man, I hate Steam Punk but City of Lost Children was great.
The following user(s) said Thank You: Frohike, mikecl

More
27 Apr 2015 15:33 #201552 by stoic
I wonder what's driving this decision? The executives at Asmodee or the executives at FFG? Is this the first FFG/Asmodee post merger game production to flow therefrom? Why did they choose this game?

Part of me was hoping for Asmodee to turn over some long lost game designs, dangerous and market changing designs, that they've been keeping in the basement because they were just too Ameritrash for an International/Euro publisher to promote…part of me was hoping that they chose FFG and that merger to introduce those designs. :-(

More
27 Apr 2015 15:53 - 27 Apr 2015 19:07 #201555 by Egg Shen

stoic wrote: I wonder what's driving this decision? The executives at Asmodee or the executives at FFG? Is this the first FFG/Asmodee post merger game production to flow therefrom? Why did they choose this game?

Part of me was hoping for Asmodee to turn over some long lost game designs, dangerous and market changing designs, that they've been keeping in the basement because they were just too Ameritrash for an International/Euro publisher to promote…part of me was hoping that they chose FFG and that merger to introduce those designs. :-(

I think the driving force behind the decision was that the designers had the rights to their game...they felt it was a great design and wanted it back in print. Since M:RP went OOP it had become a highly demanded game. So the designers having the rights revert back to them and there being a demand is what caused a deal to be struck.

This news was leaked sometime in late 2013 early 2014 by Bruno Cathala and Faidutti. This leads me to believe that this deal was struck prior to the merger. The fact that it happened to be an older Asmodee game just happens to be a coincidence.

As for Barnes...you should probably give this game another go. There are plenty of people on this site who sing its praises. It's a mean, area control game that has a simple ruleset and plays in about 60-70 mins. I can't think of anything like it that scratches the same sort of itch.

I hope the reprint does well since the game WAS shunned upon its initial release. Faidutti has long blamed the steam punk/sci-fi theme for it's retail failure. According to him back in 2006 or so, sci-fi games were considered a bad idea. The market has changed drastically since then so it will be interesting to see how the game is received now.
Last edit: 27 Apr 2015 19:07 by Egg Shen.

More
27 Apr 2015 16:16 #201557 by The*Mad*Gamer

There are plenty of people on this site who sing its praises. It's a mean, area control game that has a simple ruleset and plays in about 60-70 mins. I can't think of anything like it that scratches the same sort of itch.

Web of Power (China) would be in that category, but it bombed big time with my group. It was praised heavy on BGG considered a top favorite by the Euro guys but it has no soul, dry as dust, Mission Red Planet is better.

More
28 Apr 2015 11:55 #201575 by Cranberries

charlest wrote:

Are they coming out with a fragrance too?
The following user(s) said Thank You: wadenels

More
28 Apr 2015 12:15 #201576 by stormseeker75
I think Summer's Eve already made it: Vinegar and water

Moderators: Gary Sax
Time to create page: 0.235 seconds