October 09, 2023
2457 0
O
oliverkinne
October 06, 2023
2660 0

Outback Crossing Review

Board Game Reviews
Bugs: Recent Topics Paging, Uploading Images & Preview (11 Dec 2020)

Recent Topics paging, uploading images and preview bugs require a patch which has not yet been released.

× Talk about Eurogames here.

Packed for 10 day Kniziathon!!!

More
07 Jul 2015 21:34 - 07 Jul 2015 22:33 #205615 by The*Mad*Gamer

I am leaving soon on vacation and am planning a Full Blown Kniziathon! 10 days of Knizia games to celebrate the 30th Anniversary of Knizia games.
I have condensed all the games you see here into the laptop bag, games you can't see are Keltis the card game and Schotten Totten.
14 Knizia games in 10 days! May the best cube pusher win!!!
Last edit: 07 Jul 2015 22:33 by The*Mad*Gamer.
The following user(s) said Thank You: Frohike, aaxiom, Motorik

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

More
17 Jul 2015 15:04 #206459 by The*Mad*Gamer
Checking in with some results:

Through the Desert: I won a two player game, score 108 to 99...and a 3 player game 81, 56, 61...in both my wins I did so by the other players being unable to stop me roping in a piece of land with a caravan. My brother had a funny comment while playing, a line often used when talking about a CGI movie or a video game,
"TOO MUCH ON SCREEN" HA!

Glenn's Gallery: I really enjoyed this seemingly over looked Knizia title. Some have called the artwork for this game garish but I thought it was funny and really speaks to the theme of the game. LOVED the art student cards kicking out the patrons, funny stuff. Something that amazed me was Morgan Dontanville was involved in the development of this game, I used to spare with him quite a bit on BGG but owe him praise for this game. I loved it even though I came in last, brilliant scoring and gallery point awards are good stuff. Randy wins with 28 points, Megan 26, I had 20 points

Clash of the Gladiators Got slaughtered in both games I have played of this beauty! LOVE IT! I haven't figured out the ideal gladiator team composition, doubt I ever will. My first 3 player game I went down early and took over fighting with the animals. I would put this on a level with Heroscape but tighter and not as long for setup. So if I want a Heroscape game with a tad more balance and depth without dragging out my tub of plastic, this is it!

Spectaculum This stock market type game where you manage players from a wild Circus act was enjoyable. My only complaint is that i wish the theme was better intergrated. If you read the rulebook you will see a +1 mean "The parson smiles" at your show, wish this parson smiling was on the counters. But despite that it is a good game, fun stuff and works good with two. I appreciate this with a lot of Knizia games, he kicks ass with the scaling so if my 3rd player doesnt show we can play with 2~ Buy low , sell high or here you hire low and fire high...I win this one with a score of 98, randy has 86 and Megan has 76.

Poison and Friday the 13th Both of these are the same game, Iello reissued Knizia's Poison as Friday the 13th, Posion version blows it away. Poison theme makes more sense with the pots boiling over once the total hits 13 and the card size is better. Friday the 13th cards are awful, hard to shuffle and an awkward size, with cheesy artwork. My advise here is to go POISON all the way! Not just for halloween, i always enjoyed this card game, If you like Hearts you will like this and it is good fun. Low score wins and try to avoid taking the Poison cards! I'm in dead last here with Megan at 18 points, Randy at 21 and me at 25
The following user(s) said Thank You: Michael Barnes, Frohike, DukeofChutney, Motorik

More
17 Jul 2015 15:36 #206463 by Michael Barnes
I really want Spectaculum, I can't find it quite at the price I want it for though. The setting is kind of fun, but let's be clear- the theme is business management, not the medieval circus!

Clash of the Gladiators is such a strange game for Knizia...it's really a dice game, but you'd never guess it from looking it over. It's all about building these malleable dice pools and deciding who to lose in a fight more than anything else. I just re-acquired it thanks to Motorik and I've been making folks play it. It gets a strangely mixed reaction. What is really odd to me is that there isn't some kind of zany scoring thing...you get a flat one point per gladiator. No "whichever type you have the least of" or anything like that.

Poison is a really fun game, the kind of thing anybody can play. Love the old version with the cauldrons.

More
17 Jul 2015 16:02 #206467 by Motorik
Man I've never even heard of Glenn's Gallery but now I'm checking out photos of the boards and I gotta say...I kinda like the baroque garishness of it, honestly. I'm gonna have to snag that one. Knizia + bluffing/betting is pretty much an instabuy.

MB- Glad my ol' copy of Clash is seeing some play! Despite appreciating its status as a weird stylistic outlier for Knizia, I was never too crazy about that one, so it sadly went un-played and unloved on my shelf for many years.

More
17 Jul 2015 16:09 #206468 by The*Mad*Gamer

Man I've never even heard of Glenn's Gallery but now I'm checking out photos of the boards and I gotta say...I kinda like the baroque garishness of it, honestly. I'm gonna have to snag that one. Knizia + bluffing/betting is pretty much an instabuy.

Yes, it was instabuy for me especially at $8 plus free shipping! Took me a couple of plays to get what he was saying with the communist gallery and how it scores, fits perfect! HA!
The following user(s) said Thank You: Motorik

Moderators: Gary Sax
Time to create page: 0.147 seconds