× Talk about Eurogames here.

Let's Terraform: MARS

More
31 Aug 2019 10:59 #301276 by Shellhead
Replied by Shellhead on topic Let's Terraform: MARS

Erik Twice wrote: It's not just you or Terraforming Mars. The more I play online, the more I notice how the medium makes people play in this unnatural, dickish manner of which I'm guilty of.

Here's something I've realized: Many people don't want to have a competitive game. What they want is to win or do well and the easiest way to do that is to quit when losing and starting a game anew. Why stick around when you made a mistake when you can start another game in just a second and not have to deal with it?

If this is something inherently different about online gaming, does that mean that there isn't much overlap between people who play boardgames face to face and people who play boardgames online? Or does this difference in format really provoke such different behavior?

I suspect part of it is the tracking of an individual player's win loss ratio or ranking or whatever. Instead of just playing a game for the normal reasons, a player is also now putting his own status at the site at stake. If they took away that kind of tracking, people could relax and maybe just play the damn game instead of worrying so much about winning or losing. I consider it tragic that people could take an inherently fun activity (I'm being nice here, given my usual outlook about VP salad bars) and drain all the fun out of it because of a ratio. Fun-murderers, all of them.
The following user(s) said Thank You: Nodens

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

More
31 Aug 2019 17:34 #301283 by RobertB
Replied by RobertB on topic Let's Terraform: MARS

Shellhead wrote:

Erik Twice wrote: It's not just you or Terraforming Mars. The more I play online, the more I notice how the medium makes people play in this unnatural, dickish manner of which I'm guilty of.

Here's something I've realized: Many people don't want to have a competitive game. What they want is to win or do well and the easiest way to do that is to quit when losing and starting a game anew. Why stick around when you made a mistake when you can start another game in just a second and not have to deal with it?

If this is something inherently different about online gaming, does that mean that there isn't much overlap between people who play boardgames face to face and people who play boardgames online? Or does this difference in format really provoke such different behavior?

I suspect part of it is the tracking of an individual player's win loss ratio or ranking or whatever. Instead of just playing a game for the normal reasons, a player is also now putting his own status at the site at stake. If they took away that kind of tracking, people could relax and maybe just play the damn game instead of worrying so much about winning or losing. I consider it tragic that people could take an inherently fun activity (I'm being nice here, given my usual outlook about VP salad bars) and drain all the fun out of it because of a ratio. Fun-murderers, all of them.

Up until recently I hadn't seen a lot of people just abandon the game. And even now I haven't seen any of your typical PvP nonsense. I know the Steam TM karma system sucks ass, but given the game as a whole, that's no real surprise.

More
05 Sep 2019 10:34 #301401 by RobertB
Replied by RobertB on topic Let's Terraform: MARS
An online follow-up: I've played four online games since this Sunday. Of the four, one of the other players abandoned (not forfeited) the game in three of them. In effect, the game is locked up for however long it takes for the player to time out. These games are in total silence; maybe a 'gl' at the start.

At this point, unless you love the solo game, I wouldn't recommend the online. Its AI sucks too badly to give you a good game, and the online game's problems will not be fixed.
The following user(s) said Thank You: mezike

Moderators: Gary SaxFrohike
Time to create page: 0.170 seconds